• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

T-Dan being 42 has weirded me out. Not that he posts like a 5 year old or anything. Time flies, as mentioned...

Too right. Have one behind you and lean back against it. I used to stand about six steps back from the front

I know it needed redevelopment but Molineux was such a great ground in those days.
John Richards was also a real gentleman so not surprised so see him react the way he did. Knew him and played with him a few times and he was so humble. Sad that his tenure in a board capacity wasn’t great and therefore meant we saw less of him as a club ambassador. Like Dougan.
Other clubs recognise their heroes much better than we do.

One of my minor regrets in life, I was a big fan of King John as a kid. About 20 years ago went to mates 50th birthday bash, he was working for Richards at the time and John with his family turned up. Nudged my missus and said Johnny Richards is over there. Fuck off she said...actually that is Richards, go and say hello.
Nah he's on a night out with his family, doesn't want some idiot pestering him, so I didn't, I'm quite a shy person. I really am an idiot, sure he wouldn't have minded.

As long as you didn't try to rip his shirt off his back, I'm sure he'd have been fine

King John showing a lot of restraint at the end here...

I was alive but a couple of years before my recollection

And the poster's, apparently. We won the fucking division that year! Scenes on the pitch and both sides' supporters singing in unison "We all agree, Wolves and Chelsea are magic" - a rapprochement unprecedented in those aggro-plagued times.

Still relatively early in my Wolves watching so I might be wrong but wasn't that the game when there was quite a bit of trouble in the North Bank with a decent number of Chelsea fans in there?
I think I was in the enclosure in front of the Waterloo Road stand

Still relatively early in my Wolves watching so I might be wrong but wasn't that the game when there was quite a bit of trouble in the North Bank with a decent number of Chelsea fans in there?
I was in the North Bonk in August 1978 (Tuesday evening ko) when Chelsea supporters left the South Bank and ran down Molineux Street and into the NB and it all kicked off. The match was stopped as some of the crowd spilled onto pitchside. Wolves lost 0-1. Tommy Langley got the goal IIRC.

I knew it had happened and could remember it happening with the Chelsea fans so assumed it was the year before. Thanks for the memory jog Leeds.
73 to 79 is still a bit fuzzy for me because I was still young [plus it was a long time ago] and while I remember many of the players from that period my recollection of how good they were is limited and probably somewhat revised since.

You might be right; it wouldn't have been the first time. There was a ban on Chelsea away ticket sales at the time so, of course, they just bought tickets from Molineux and came anyway. Made the on-pitch harmony all the more surprising. I expect it kicked off again once they got outside. That was the year we fucked Bolton over next game with a thoroughly undeserved 1-0 win at theirs. Happy days.

I’ll still stand by my claim that for the last goal against Man City he played as a right wing back.

Back