• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

15 years ago today:

517847-22765525-2560-1440.jpg

_45733056_wolves_champions_466_getty.jpg

wolves-celebrate-win-wolverhampton-wanderers-fc-molineux-stadium-wolverhampton-JDC78D.jpg

522072-22736762-2560-1440.jpg

wolverhampton-wanderers-champions-league-1516323.jpg.webp

Still playing from that squad: Hennessey (Nottm Forest), Stearman (Solihull), Vokes (Wycombe), Reid (Rayners Lane), Batth (Norwich), Gleeson (Hitchin), Hemmings (Kidderminster), C Edwards (Hadleigh), Malone (Gillingham), Little (Penybont).

Carlos Edwards still turning out in non-league at the age of 45!

George Friend was recently made Director of Football at Bristol Rovers after finishing playing.

Danny Batth has made himself a great career. Nearly 500 appearances despite his limitations, good luck to him. Always gave 100%.
Shows what you can achieve with a bit off talent, a lot of hard work, good attitude and not being a prick.
I'm pleased hes had a decent career, always comes across as a good guy.
How the fuck is he 33?

Was also there. Geoff Thomas was also supposed to play but in our mid 90s way we hadn't diagnosed his injury properly and no, sorry son, you're broken for the season.

Loving the battle of the nepo babies on the respective benches.

I was too, had no idea how good those players were going to become.

Only went to see Bully.
Mentioned it before but Nicky Butt was very much seen as the future superstar out of the lot. Like, by a long way. Now he was a really good player in his own right (until he left United and started phoning it in at the likes of Newcastle and Blues) but levels below Beckham/Scholes/G-Nev once they turned pro.

Mentioned it before but Nicky Butt was very much seen as the future superstar out of the lot. Like, by a long way. Now he was a really good player in his own right (until he left United and started phoning it in at the likes of Newcastle and Blues) but levels below Beckham/Scholes/G-Nev once they turned pro.
Every single one of their starters made a solid career for themselves. That's nuts when you consider the rate of youth team players that don't ever make it as a pro.

IIRC it was also one of Dublin's first games back from his serious injury too.

I remember really liking Ben Thornley at Huddersfield but as it turned out he was already severely compromised by an injury he got at United and was never going to have a long career. Shame.

John O'Kane possibly the exception, by his own admission he didn't have what it took mentally.

17 years ago today, great away day this was, including Bully in our end.

Two notes:

1) This is our only league win at Leicester since December 1971

2) Great stuff from Paddy on this day. He went to Leicester Uni in the early 90s, I didn't know Leicester very well, ok then mate, you pick us a decent pub, you must know best. "Yeah, I know a great one, you'll love it". Rocked up at 11am. Pile of fucking rubble. Literally a pile of rubble.

2) Great stuff from Paddy on this day. He went to Leicester Uni in the early 90s, I didn't know Leicester very well, ok then mate, you pick us a decent pub, you must know best. "Yeah, I know a great one, you'll love it". Rocked up at 11am. Pile of fucking rubble. Literally a pile of rubble.
Not the worst pub he has dragged people into though

I took my youngest to see the FA youth cup final 2nd leg at Elland Road 92/93. Over 20k there, lufc winning 4-1 on aggregate. Only Noel Whelan of lufc's team went on to 'greater' things.

Back