• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves - Sevilla EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL Math thread

sorry, i was a bit repetitive ;)

Ah no sorry, no dig at you or anyone else, it's undoubtedly played a part! I trust in Nuno to tweak and keep us progressing next year, so close to being an amazing season both in the. PL and EL but it's still been great

true though, if we would have scored that pen..at least extra time for me..

Always got to have a scapegoat. Why not just say the better team won

Quite. To say 'we're not as good as Sevilla' isn't exactly a damning indictment of where we are as a club. Our progress has been ridiculous BUT we have our limits. In time, maybe we can bridge these gaps but personally, I don't think we're there yet - Sevilla were excellent and professional tonight and made it very tough for us. Sure, the penalty makes it a different game but them's the breaks etc.

What a season - would have been great to have secured EL football - and in every other season, 7th place would have done it - but otherwise, we have progressed and grown and I'm very pleased with that.

We were beaten by a better side tonight. And it's not a disgrace. Simple as.

Don't think we can discount how long the season has been and the small size of the squad that has played it.

I know Nuno wants a small team but I don't know if he can get away with it at this level.

Disappointing in the end but Sevilla deserved it. Main aim for us next season imo is to improve our attacking threat and create more chances. I think a lot of today was down to tiredness tbh but the difference between this and when we beat city 2-0 was that we were always a threat when we got the ball then, we weren’t tonight.

Ah no sorry, no dig at you or anyone else, it's undoubtedly played a part! I trust in Nuno to tweak and keep us progressing next year, so close to being an amazing season both in the. PL and EL but it's still been great

yes, amazing season to be both high in the PL and the EL..some bad luck not to qualify for Europa though..sheffield u is one

Dull game really.

Sevilla had all the ball but little idea what to do with it, Wolves rarely troubled defensively but had nothing on the counter at all.

Ultimately decided by mistakes, Sevilla made one in conceding the penalty with a terrible challenge but then Jimenez cancelled that out with a naff penalty before the whole team decided to take a nap for a late set piece. Felt a bit for Vinagre on that one at the end as he was the only one paying attention but then he was caught between two players when it went short, couldn't close the crosser down otherwise it would've just been slipped outside him and then someone else had a free cross, didn't get the support he needed quick enough to make any difference and everyone in the box was sucking their thumbs anyway.

Some good defensive performances in there, Doherty, Dendoncker and Vinagre caught my eye in that sense but no-one used the ball properly at all. Jimenez needs to realise there's a time and place for blind flicks around the corner, all well and good when you've got plenty of possession and you need to take a few risks to break someone down but when you're under the cosh sometimes you just need your forward to get a foot on it and give people a chance to get up the pitch a bit or have a breather. Far too often people were just making poor choices with the ball, trying to force passes when they had time on the ball or just picking the wrong option and playing themselves into trouble needlessly, previously been really good at going all the way back to Coady and shifting the play to get around an opponent's press but all that composure seems to be gone lately, it generally goes back and then just gets punted somewhere hopefully before long.

The season that would never end finally comes to a close. Call me a happy clapper, but I am immensely proud of our boys for a great campaign. Things could have gone better, of course, but they looked shagged.
Just a few years from watching a dire 0-0 away to Stevenage, to watching the quarters of the Europa on TV. Hopefully next year without European football is just a short break, and a top six finish means we aren't relying on others.
UTW!

Disappointed to lose, but they were a bloody good side. We defended brilliantly but didn’t have enough to play through their press. Hopefully we can get some upgrades in over the next few weeks and get back into Europe again.

On a side note, I thought Vinagre was excellent tonight which gives real hope for him stepping up next season, and willy boly was an absolute giant, I absolutely love that man.

Tactically out manoeuvred and technically they were on another level. No threat at all once they tweaked it to nullify Adama.

No complaints - look forward to a break from it and go again next season.

Vinagre our best performer - played with his head up.

I expected us to offer more of a threat after the penalty miss. Even if that goes in I would’ve expected Sevilla to get back into it.
Second half was a case of when they’d score, Back 3 did as much as they could and coped well until the last moments.
Unfortunately when you have 25% possession zero shots on goal second half and no corners you can’t complain. I don’t buy the fact we couldn’t have done more, retention of possession could have been better and the front pair could have offered more of an outlet.

Another challenge for Nuno, I've read the word 'tired' about 300 times tonight: to combat that, if we actually want to compete in multiple fronts seriously, maybe don't have a squad of 15 players you actually are prepared to put on the pitch, let's increase that by two or three

27% possession, 0 shots on target

what more do you need to know

Both fair questions

Like above I thought Vinagre was excellent today, a couple of times he was out of position but great to have his pace and be able to be get back.

In general we are just more of a threat as 3-4-3, but we don't have the central 2 in CM to play that against the top teams. Challenge for Nuno and the scouting team I think.

Boys looked shagged for the last 30 at least and got what was coming really. Disappointingly powder puff up front for a while now

I'm convinced he tweaked his groin 1st half but not severe enough to warrant being subbed...was noticeable he very rarely carried the ball forward, he probably would've been caught short if he''d been out of position. But, that's just me speculating. -edit- misread boys as Boly, whoops

To get caught out by a short corner like that is disappointing, they did it a few times and we didn't seem to catch on...you allow enough free crosses into the box you'll get caught.

They fought hard and gave it their all...could it have been better, yes, but Sevilla are better than we are right now. Shame doesn't come into it, proud of them, now get some rest for god's sake!

The trouble for me is that the likes of Raul Never Traore Boly deserve European football. I hope most stay, we build and give the FA cup and League cup a real go. We know we can hold our own in the premier League but there is still a gap to reach that too level.

Dull game really.

Sevilla had all the ball but little idea what to do with it, Wolves rarely troubled defensively but had nothing on the counter at all.

Ultimately decided by mistakes, Sevilla made one in conceding the penalty with a terrible challenge but then Jimenez cancelled that out with a naff penalty before the whole team decided to take a nap for a late set piece. Felt a bit for Vinagre on that one at the end as he was the only one paying attention but then he was caught between two players when it went short, couldn't close the crosser down otherwise it would've just been slipped outside him and then someone else had a free cross, didn't get the support he needed quick enough to make any difference and everyone in the box was sucking their thumbs anyway.

Some good defensive performances in there, Doherty, Dendoncker and Vinagre caught my eye in that sense but no-one used the ball properly at all. Jimenez needs to realise there's a time and place for blind flicks around the corner, all well and good when you've got plenty of possession and you need to take a few risks to break someone down but when you're under the cosh sometimes you just need your forward to get a foot on it and give people a chance to get up the pitch a bit or have a breather. Far too often people were just making poor choices with the ball, trying to force passes when they had time on the ball or just picking the wrong option and playing themselves into trouble needlessly, previously been really good at going all the way back to Coady and shifting the play to get around an opponent's press but all that composure seems to be gone lately, it generally goes back and then just gets punted somewhere hopefully before long.

Agree with all that, Sevilla pressing was very good

The trouble for me is that the likes of Raul Never Traore Boly deserve European football. I hope most stay, we build and give the FA cup and League cup a real go. We know we can hold our own in the premier League but there is still a gap to reach that too level.

yeah, here is hoping..i dont think all will

A very strong defensive performance, but as the game wore on we offered less and less of a threat and meant Sevilla could afford to play higher, create more overloads and have more dangerous possession. They still really didn’t create that much throughout the game but the pressure was constant. Even the goal, though we didn’t react quickly enough initially is a great cross and a great header.

It’s been a fantastic season, obviously the best in mine (and I’m sure many others) life time. Amazing chance to keep progressing, with Nuno in charge I really think we will

Perhaps they could have turned up tonight? Raul cost us the match with his pathetic penalty which was a carbon copy for the goalie to work out. Neves has forgotten how to shoot. Boly did well though.

Back