• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves - Sevilla EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL Math thread

Vinagre did fine against a good side - no cover on either side now though really

Poor game and gutted we lost but the lads deserve a break and come back stronger for next season

A very strong defensive performance, but as the game wore on we offered less and less of a threat and meant Sevilla could afford to play higher, create more overloads and have more dangerous possession. They still really didn’t create that much throughout the game but the pressure was constant. Even the goal, though we didn’t react quickly enough initially is a great cross and a great header.

It’s been a fantastic season, obviously the best in mine (and I’m sure many others) life time. Amazing chance to keep progressing, with Nuno in charge I really think we will

Agree with all this, well put.

Of course I'm disappointed at the result, but thought we played as we always do against quality opposition, defended really well, Vinagre and Doc were excellent. If I'm gunna be critical, it was the way we gave the ball away too easy when on the break, it may be the long season caught up with us, mentally as well as physically. I'm already looking forward to next season to see what Nuno and the boys come up with

Good points made on this forum but our inability to attack cost us dear -27% possession is no good to anyone.

Perhaps they could have turned up tonight? Raul cost us the match with his pathetic penalty which was a carbon copy for the goalie to work out. Neves has forgotten how to shoot. Boly did well though.

Seen it again now & clear encroachment of a defender who clears the ball - shades of Coady v Man City which was retaken

A very strong defensive performance, but as the game wore on we offered less and less of a threat and meant Sevilla could afford to play higher, create more overloads and have more dangerous possession. They still really didn’t create that much throughout the game but the pressure was constant. Even the goal, though we didn’t react quickly enough initially is a great cross and a great header.

It’s been a fantastic season, obviously the best in mine (and I’m sure many others) life time. Amazing chance to keep progressing, with Nuno in charge I really think we will

Yep

Perhaps they could have turned up tonight? Raul cost us the match with his pathetic penalty which was a carbon copy for the goalie to work out. Neves has forgotten how to shoot. Boly did well though.

I didn't even get to watch it and I know this is unfair.

Dear god.....over reaction a smidgeon

Need to get Nuno's contract sorted then keep the momentum up

agree Nuno is vital

Like above I thought Vinagre was excellent today, a couple of times he was out of position but great to have his pace and be able to be get back.

In general we are just more of a threat as 3-4-3, but we don't have the central 2 in CM to play that against the top teams. Challenge for Nuno and the scouting team I think.

Think the idea of the midfield being exposed by the 343 is something of a myth personally. In my opinion it's the formation that has the greater potential for defensive solidity as you can drop back to pretty much 541 when you're really up against it, tuck the wide players in a bit to narrow that 4 across midfield if there's greater threat in the middle than from opposition fullbacks, think the 352 is less versatile because as soon as opposition fullbacks start pushing on it drags a midfielder out wide and then you lose your numerical advantage in there anyway. The latter works well against someone like Man City because it forces them to go wide and 3 centre backs v someone like Aguero is generally pretty favourable for defending crosses opposed to allowed more space centrally for the likes of De Bruyne or Silva.

Biggest difference for me in recent games isn't anything tactical really, just individual performances, composure has been sorely lacking compared to earlier in the season which has meant a lot more defending and lot less possession, and at times the movement off the ball doesn't look as sharp as it has done, combine those two and you can see why it's so much harder to keep the ball. Don't even think it's so much of a case of opponents pressing more effectively or consistently in most cases, just Wolves not being up to earlier standards, that could be down to physical or mental fatigue but with such a lack of trusted alternatives in the squad there has been little opportunity to rotate and freshen things up.

I'm not going to quote anyone, but some people need to take a long hard look at themselves. Nobody on this thread has appeared in the last 2/3years, yet the entitlement rather than disappointment fucking stinks. Look where we have come from and what most of us have watched for so many years

The better team won, Raul didn't score the penalty and switched off for he goal, but he's looked shagged for weeks. Have a bit of understanding rather than acting like Man Utd fans.

There are questions for next season about the way we approach games, but that's for another thread.

I thought we looked absolutely fucked to be honest and while i didn't think we were tired after 60 minutes looking back i think we were. If you take that on board i think we defended very well most of the time but we didn't play well. When you have no possession and create one chance all night you can't say that we played well apart from up until the penalty but it's fine to find reasons for that.

From listening to Nuno he understands that we need more players, it's fine having a small squad if all 16/17 can play but we've not done that. We need reinforcements in every department to take us to that new level and that may let us take control of games more which will be a massive benefit to our tiredness levels too. On the whole though we've had a cracking season but suffered towards the end due to tiredness but i've got to say i'm proud of the team for giving us nights like this to look forward to.

We needed Raul to score the penalty. We know this team can dig in and defend and with a one goal lead no one cares about the possession, or how many corners we’ve won, or whatever - it’s the score that counts. As soon as he missed it I knew we’d lose (sorry). It’s quite obvious our squad is fucked and desperately need a holiday, some proper time off and some time with their families.

What makes it worse is the penalty should have been retaken for two separate reasons. We have VAR in place and they missed two obvious errors - madness.

Thank you to Nuno and the players for all of their efforts. It hurts right now that we don’t have European football next season and fell away badly at the end of the season - but there’s only so much 12-14 players can do.

What a ride we’ve had. I’m knackered just watching it. Hopefully the team and staff can have a well earned rest now and we can go again.

Gutted not to be able to watch it live. There is no love in watching it on TV.

I think the last few weeks we've shown major signs of fatigue, and that's down to not bringing in players of the quality needed for a 13 month season...

Whilst a little tongue in cheek, Cutrone not working out hurt us as Raul has had to play continuously despite being tired.

The Podence nonsense yellow card also hurt us, if he's playing tonight I think we have more of an out ball and can relive the pressure more.

I'm really proud to have seen Wolves play in Europe and mix it with some good teams. I never thought I'd see us be disappointed in being knocked out of a quarter final in the Europa League, it's normally disappointment in losing to Morecombe early in the League Cup..

Back