• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Words Fail Me

This surely signals there won't be an early bird? They couldn't pull this and then think send out letters asking for renewals?

Could they?

This is appalling.

Nice one, Wolves. Jokeshop club.

The one thing I'd say is that £250,000 seems a hell of a lot for a statue. Really good standard public works of art come in at around £50,000 in my experience. Even allowing for materials, casting etc that seems a very high figure

I got a quote for a "man sized" statue last year and it came in at 1/10th of that price. The artist was well renowned and had been commissioned for numerous projects across the Black Country. At that price I can fully understand why the club passed and decided to fleece the fans instead.

The sad thing is, the club probably thought this was a really good idea....which says a lot about their mindset at the moment.

The past two years the club have been fantastic and really made an effort to bridge the gap that had grown between club and fans. This season they've returned to their old ways. The fucking cheek. They can stick their tenner up their arse.

Having read reactions from those that want to vote, I now actually think it's a good idea, where some fans can walk passed the statue and think to themselves I was involved in this tribute. However, I think the E&S have been poor with comments such as 'The fundraising drive is asking fans to donate ‘a tenner for Sir Jack’ to cover the costs.' and should be very ashamed of themselves for using this as a way of angering fans and the PR from Wolves has also been very poor too.

I presume if the scheme raises, say 100k, the rest is paid for by the club?

I will donate because Sir Jack gave so much to Wolverhampton Wanderers. I think in it's a small gesture of our respect to him. I prefer for the fans to pay for it as, the people who now run the club only have my contempt.
I understand peoples opinions about the club should pay for it. For me it's to do with pride. The people who took over from our beloved Sir Jack weren't up to it. Sir Jack is one of our own.

Right. So it's a case of you can be involved and be a part of the tribute not a you all need to pay up or it doesn't happen.

Im with you then Penkles. Not a bad idea but poorly put across.

The one thing I'd say is that £250,000 seems a hell of a lot for a statue. Really good standard public works of art come in at around £50,000 in my experience. Even allowing for materials, casting etc that seems a very high figure

I thought exactly the same. Is it gold plated? Because that price is extortionate

This surely signals there won't be an early bird? They couldn't pull this and then think send out letters asking for renewals?

Could they?

The official blurb states there will be an option to donate when paying for the early bird.

Right. So it's a case of you can be involved and be a part of the tribute not a you all need to pay up or it doesn't happen.

Im with you then Penkles. Not a bad idea but poorly put across.

Oh right. Did not realise that.
That is different entirely. And I would probably end up donating. However, I still think the club should just make the gesture and pay without causing all this fuss.

The club have already created the problem. Some comments online suggest that some people think that the money raised will pay for the statue, and anything left over will go to Morgan. Now obviously that is not the case, but very poor PR has created the situation whereby some think it is another money making scheme by the club.

Oh right. Did not realise that.
That is different entirely. And I would probably end up donating. However, I still think the club should just make the gesture and pay without causing all this fuss.

The idea is fine. The PR is as bad as anything I can remember the club doing. I'm surprised they didn't tweet something when Bowie died along the lines of 'strange ginger man-woman carks it. Shall we play Ziggy Stardust at half time on Saturday?'

The E&S obviously haven't helped but this is a pretty daft PR gaffe.

Its a bronze statute isn't it? I wouldn't want a paper mache effort put up outside the ground coz Baz down the Feathers knows someone who can do it on the cheap.

If you look at his other works I don't think you can argue at his quality

I got a quote for a "man sized" statue last year and it came in at 1/10th of that price. The artist was well renowned and had been commissioned for numerous projects across the Black Country. At that price I can fully understand why the club passed and decided to fleece the fans instead.

The sad thing is, the club probably thought this was a really good idea....which says a lot about their mindset at the moment.

I was involved in commissioning a statue in the North East - 8' high, facing out to the North Sea so had to be seriously weatherproof. Top quality artist - price was £43,000

Through the Community Trust, so they can claim gift aid. :ursofunny:

I don't see the problem. Donate if you want to. Don't if you don't want to. I won't be.

I don't see the problem. Donate if you want to. Don't if you don't want to. I won't be.
The problem has been with the announcement which came across as "we are delighted to get a statue sorted but you have to pay for it or doesn't happen" obviously not the case but awful from Wolves PR and usual shite from the E&S. Tim II has even managed to use Redrow making huge profits against the idea.

Back