• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your top five kits

This will take some serious thought. England's Italia 90 kit will probably be in there though.

I know it's universally disliked but I always liked this one
313b36112c95d0489d5650dae39df564.jpg

EH? It is a stone cold classic! Vince Hilaire as well I think.

This will take some serious thought. England's Italia 90 kit will probably be in there though.

I had the white but I think that I preferred the sky blue one. The World in Motion t-shirt got plenty of wear that summer too.

I can't be arsed to check who picked it but the England 1982 world cup kit is a magnificent selection. The red England wore against France when Robson scored after about 37 nano-seconds is even better.

Very tough! Think I'm just going to admire everyone else's picks

Actually I think a lot of the Italian kits are classics (might be something to do with growing up watching Football Italia as a kid mind). Roma, Inter, Sampdoria, Milan, Parma, Fiorentina are all class.

Parma had some great kits when Zola was there as well.

Hard to argue with the classic Real Madrid of Di Stefano and Gento times. Not a lot going on I admit, but it is just archetypal classic.

That's the one - Ipswich-tastic with Mariner and Butcher in that shot.

I see what you mean about Butcher's being odd though - pretty sure the Mariner one was the standard kit

I can't be arsed to check who picked it but the England 1982 world cup kit is a magnificent selection. The red England wore against France when Robson scored after about 37 nano-seconds is even better.
Ahem....

I wonder if the shot is from the October 1982 friendly against West Germany, where Butcher was captain I think. Mick Mills was captain in the world cup game. Possibly the stripe is an armband substitute.

Nike would do themselves a favour to make the new England kit as a retro version of it, for example:

England Concept Kit 1.jpg

or

England 1982 Concept Shirt 2.jpg

Instead of this

England 2018 World Cup Kit 1.jpg

Nope - my theory is wrong. Checking the FA website, it is the world cup game. For some reason England wore a variation on the standard red kit for the game which has the stripe in the middle of the white a la Butcher. Mariner obviously didn't get the telegram.

So the classic kit is really on from the France game I guess.

I wonder if the shot is from the October 1982 friendly against West Germany, where Butcher was captain I think. Mick Mills was captain in the world cup game. Possibly the stripe is an armband substitute.
Just an odd incident of a new type of shirt being used and no one spotting the difference

To begin with, the Football Association seemed to be under the mistaken belief that teams were not allowed to display kit manufacturers' logos on the strip, just as they had been barred from doing at the 1980 European Championship. So, the kit worn against France was devoid of them.

A new lightweight red shirt was introduced against West Germany. For some inexplicable reason, the design had changed, and as nobody seemed to have spotted this at the time, at least two players were allowed to change into the polyester shirts with the original design, at half-time,

Very odd. Anyway, the classic I was referring to is without doubt the one being worn by Paul Mariner and not the Butcher one in the background in the shot.

EH? It is a stone cold classic! Vince Hilaire as well I think.

IN back of mind but didnt they (palace) try to redo it a few years ago?
I seem to remember "sashes" getting lambasted on here in a new kits thread then...always thought i was in a minority for liking it.

Im chuffed others think its snazzy.

IN back of mind but didnt they (palace) try to redo it a few years ago?
I seem to remember "sashes" getting lambasted on here in a new kits thread then...always thought i was in a minority for liking it.

Im chuffed others think its snazzy.

Don't think it would have been me as I loved this kit:

New-Fulham-Third-Kit-12-13.jpg

I always loved the Spurs 1986 Hummel shirt:

Spurs 2.jpg

Back