• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Do not, under any circumstances, subject yourself to the Da Vinci Code. It is bollocks.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a must read book but I thought the Da Vinci Code was enjoyable enough.

B3h get yourself some Stephen King, you wont regret it.

I loved that book. The 2nd best in the series after A Storm of Swords.

I nearly went straight at it after reading the Cersei fest that is A Feast for Crows, but managed to hold off on it. Then when the TV series finished I sat staring at it for about five minutes before sidestepping it by re-reading the Straw Men trilogy by Michael Marshall of which I have one to go.

I’ve also got a Jack Reacher lying about the place somewhere that I could read, just got to hold out until at least September for when I go away.

The Da Vinci Code is reasonable holiday fluff, avoid the Lost Symbol at all costs though.

If you want a toe curler and eye opener, look up JAY DOBYNS. He was an undercover agent in the Hells' Angels. I think the book was called No Angel...or something like that.

The Penal Colony by Richard Herley is a decent page turner if it's still available.

My random list is as follows, few hours before I hit Waterstones though:

-The Da Vinici Code
-Frankie Boyle Autobiography
-A Storm of Swords
-The Penal Colony
-"A Stephen King book"

I think this is the last book I read and I loved it, wouldn't want anything any more messed up though, and don't necessarily want a crime/killer book either:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Simple-Ds-Roy-Grace/dp/0330546015

The Peter James, Roy Grace series are all pretty decent reads to be fair.

My random list is as follows, few hours before I hit Waterstones though:

-The Da Vinici Code
-Frankie Boyle Autobiography
-A Storm of Swords
-The Penal Colony
-"A Stephen King book"
I think this is the last book I read and I loved it, wouldn't want anything any more messed up though, and don't necessarily want a crime/killer book either:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Simple-Ds-Roy-Grace/dp/0330546015

If you want some SK suggestions then my personal favourites are:

11/22/63 (Time travel back to the 60's - his best book for years IMO)
Salem's Lot (Vampire book)
The Shining (About a haunted hotel)
The Dead Zone (Man goes into coma, wakes up with new ability - a fantastic book IMO)
The Green Mile (About death row - I'm sure you've seen the film)

The first one sounds good, added to list, thanks.

I ended up buying 11/22/63 Stephen King, and if that goes well I fancy another couple of his, including that Dead Zone.

And I am lending Da Vinci Code, save buying it (This is my reserve book in case the above one is crap, which I'm sure it won't be)

Cheers ladies.

No the Waterstones man told me both were 2 of the best King ones also in his opinion - And someone at work had read 11/22/63 and recommended.

I just like the sound of both from a sentence (King) - That's always a good start!!!

About to start reading "The Blood Tub", which is about the battle of Bullecourt in 1917, and examines the role of General Gough in this brutal battle, which left Australia and Britain at loggerheads for years.

No the Waterstones man told me both were 2 of the best King ones also in his opinion - And someone at work had read 11/22/63 and recommended.

I just like the sound of both from a sentence (King) - That's always a good start!!!

I thought 11/22/63 was really excellent, probably my favourite book I read last year.

The Dog Who Danced by Susan Wilson.

Considering I'm not really a lover of dogs, I enjoyed this book .Had me reaching for the tissue's at times . Not a bloke's book ,but if your partners love reading, love dogs and love a heartwarming story then buy it for them :)

11/22/63 is quality, I am back from holiday now and half way through, can't wait to read some more later.

11/22/63 is quality, I am back from holiday now and half way through, can't wait to read some more later.

A friend of mine has 11/22/63 and said it was very good. I must get a copy and read it.

Just finished I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti. Very good and very creepy. The film is supposed to be very good too.

Now, on the recommendation of this forum, and cos it's topical, I'm reading Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom.

got back from a hol last week during which i read:

The many coloured land - Julian May - a 4 book series which I've not quite finished. Set in the future the concept is someone has built a time travel device that can take you back 6 million years. Only issue is, it's one way. The books deal with a particular group of misfits who go into "exile", following the route 70,000 have already done. I'd only recommend for sci fi readers.

Dark eden - Chris beckett - this tells the story the descendants of astronauts who got stuck on another planet who've been waiting for rescue ships. Less sci fi and more of a social commentary of a developing primitive society with rules that need breaking. v good i thought.

twilight - william gay - brother and sister team up to bring to light a local undertaker's murky activities. good for readers who like cormac mccarthy or elmore leonard books.

Just bought the last book in the series of Jon Connolly books featuring Charlie Parker private detective. interestingly based in Maine. That's a bit of a rarity...
Excellent reading with a tiny bit of the supernatural woven through it, mainly from when he arrived home to find his wife and young daughter dead.... and their faces removed!

the rest of the books all have him solving and killing bad guys and the problems they've created.
Well balanced reading, really well written

Back