• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Mixu

Reaction score
I know I could Google the answer to this, but why do that when I can start a thread, eh?

To a youngun like me, watching football from the 70s and 80s, I keep seeing loads of ad boards with the alphabet on them. Now I know that they served a purpose, but I've got no idea what that purpose was. Can anyone enlighten me?

On the subject, what else used to be commonplace around the grounds but has vanished in recent years?

One from my lifetime: You never see clubs flogging £1.50 a minute Clubcall lines anymore.

They were used for scores If Im correct. A B C etc etc were attributed to certain fixtures that appeared in the programs.

Half time scores.

There'd be a list in the matchday programme, each game corresponded to a letter in the alphabet. So Arsenal vs Man City would be A, Chelsea vs Southampton would be B and so on. The scores (in the form of an old school cricket scoreboard) went up alongside the appropriate letter.

Probably consigned to the past now: people taking radios to the game (with the inevitable fake 'goal' rumour) at the end of the season, when looking out for results elsewhere.

Dean Saunders has not caught up with technology yet of course, remember that in 2013 he was literally sending out people to watch Barnsley, Peterborough etc and report back to him if there was a goal. Irrespective of the fact we needed to win whatever was happening elsewhere.

Thanks lads, makes sense!

As a side note, I'd never heard that thing about Saunders sending people to other games. Heartbreakingly appalling.

I always said that interview was Saunders doing the opositions team talk for them. More so Burnley who had less riding on it.

One of my memories is a couple of advertising boards saying Support Wolves New Lottery that were permanently in the old Waterloo Road stand when it was closed. For a couple of seasons in the mid 80's that could have referred to the team selection.

Probably consigned to the past now: people taking radios to the game (with the inevitable fake 'goal' rumour) at the end of the season, when looking out for results elsewhere.

The old boy who sits infront of me still listens to his radio during the match. Never tells anyone else of any goal news though!

One from my lifetime: You never see clubs flogging £1.50 a minute Clubcall lines anymore.

I seem to remember reading that Cambridge Utd phoned our clubcall line the year they knocked us out of the FA Cup (late 80's early 90's perhaps). It was when Dion Dublin played for them I believe. Anyway, the clubcall line had Graham Turner telling fans what the team was going to be, how we would line up and what our tactics were. Cambridge said it was one of the easier match preperations they'd had!

Could be bollocks though, of course.

Helpfully for us, Albion lost at home to a Tim Buzaglo-inspired Woking on the same day we lost to Cambridge. Buried the news somewhat.

Remember seeing a Clubcall ad on Teletext back in 1997, "Wolves sign international striker". No internet then so a wait for the paper to turn up in the evening....fucking Paatelainen.

Ceefax/teletext always had that kinda shite on as well. "Top striker set for shock exit" would be the end of guy whittinghams loan.

Good old ceefax.

I remember my days at Uni when I would have the Division One scores on (while playing Champ Manager - it was hard work at Uni) and waiting for the page to refresh. Seems an age ago now!

Funny that this has been brought up now, as I was asking Wolf Hunting the same thing a few weeks back when we were at the Museum. They had some pics of the old Waterloo rd stand with letters and corresponding scores underneath

Funny how a season of midtable championship dullness can invoke memories of the 90s...

My Dad used to take me to the reserve games (Central League) in he late fifties, we used to go in the Molineux st stand.
They had the letters in the corner of the enclosure and on the right side of the North Bank.
Letters and corresponding fixtures were printed on the back of the programme, the scores used to be put up just after half-time with the Wolves fixture being the one to look out for, invariably we were often two or three nil up.

Back