• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wise old gits

Ain’t got a problem with my toenails but I’m noticing more of those old man bruises (senile purpura) on my arms.

Ha ha i know how to cut the fuckers, but does anyone know why they're growing so fast.
Jeez i had none of this shit til i got to 70, now i have to make a few changes in my life.
Dunno the scientific reason, its just age. Nose and ear hair grows faster than on my head, toe nails grow faster and thicker, bruise easier and for longer, if I cut myself, it takes longer to stop bleeding and heal up, memory is completely fucked, can't get up out the chair without an involuntary groan, if I kneel down for longer than 30 seconds I need help getting up. It's never ending, fucking hate being old, the worst part is, I'm probably the fittest of all my mates.

Dunno the scientific reason, its just age. Nose and ear hair grows faster than on my head, toe nails grow faster and thicker, bruise easier and for longer, if I cut myself, it takes longer to stop bleeding and heal up, memory is completely fucked, can't get up out the chair without an involuntary groan, if I kneel down for longer than 30 seconds I need help getting up. It's never ending, fucking hate being old, the worst part is, I'm probably the fittest of all my mates.
🤣ha i am the involuntary groan king, when i first get up in the morning, it's a chorus from bed to kitchen.
I have this last year or so begun showing symptoms of osteo arthritis in my knees and ankles. A panel of top american doctors told me its down to all the sport i played over the years, and especially 3 years of parachute jumping, with those big round 2nd world war jobs. The natty little oblong jobs hadn't been invented then. Some mornings i'm like a piece of origami unfolding getting from bed to upright.
By the way how old are you sycho?

🤣ha i am the involuntary groan king, when i first get up in the morning, it's a chorus from bed to kitchen.
I have this last year or so begun showing symptoms of osteo arthritis in my knees and ankles. A panel of top american doctors told me its down to all the sport i played over the years, and especially 3 years of parachute jumping, with those big round 2nd world war jobs. The natty little oblong jobs hadn't been invented then. Some mornings i'm like a piece of origami unfolding getting from bed to upright.
By the way how old are you sycho?
I'm only 65 so by the time I'm your age I'll be completely fucked.

It's a major effort even to reach my toenails now, and I'm not even 50...

To be honest I’ve become a bit fitness obsessed as I’ve grown older, loads of people around my age are popping off.
I do five days a week on my treadmill and exercise with weights in the afternoon.

Im 60. Just been playing 7-a-side. Besides my right hip, left glute, left knee, which are painful, they are minor issues compared to my left big toe, which is absolutely fucking murder. No cartlidge, arthritis in the joint. Six months ago it was bearable/manageable. It's not anymore. Not sure if I can keep doing it. My worry is, if I stop, I won't get going again. I hate being 'old'.

Im 60. Just been playing 7-a-side. Besides my right hip, left glute, left knee, which are painful, they are minor issues compared to my left big toe, which is absolutely fucking murder. No cartlidge, arthritis in the joint. Six months ago it was bearable/manageable. It's not anymore. Not sure if I can keep doing it. My worry is, if I stop, I won't get going again. I hate being 'old'.
Have you thought about walking football? I started playing when I retired and usually play twice a week now. I haven’t been this fit for years despite walking and cycling a fair bit. It’s slower, so less stress on the joints, but the big thing is you are playing against old buggers who are in the same state as you are.

As much by necessity as anything else i get to walk 5kms every couple of days, downhill going and up hill coming back, usually well loaded up with groceries and stuff. Every couple of weeks it's 10kms over the mountains to the main village, tough and honestly i usually take at least the following morning to do fuck all.
I'm still cutting and hauling trees from the fire,around the house, and there's still easily six months more to cut, but i limit myself to 4 hours a day and then stop, and i feel it the next morning.
Needless to say, walking days are definately not tree cutting days.

As much by necessity as anything else i get to walk 5kms every couple of days, downhill going and up hill coming back, usually well loaded up with groceries and stuff. Every couple of weeks it's 10kms over the mountains to the main village, tough and honestly i usually take at least the following morning to do fuck all.
I'm still cutting and hauling trees from the fire,around the house, and there's still easily six months more to cut, but i limit myself to 4 hours a day and then stop, and i feel it the next morning.
Needless to say, walking days are definately not tree cutting days.
You should be fit as a butcher's dog!

Something I didn't appreciate until I read a medical site post a year or so ago was that your balance goes as you get older (I'm 71), which leads to falls, which is usually the beginning of the end. The test was could you stand on one leg for 20 seconds and put your socks on while standing. I couldn't stand on either leg for more than a few seconds, and I certainly couldn't put my socks on without sitting down. The blog said this was something you could regain with practice, though, and it's true. I always stand up to put my socks on now and do a minute on each leg every morning.

You can't go anywhere in our town that isn't up- or downhill, so I try to do a couple of them a day for cardio. Other than that, I don't eat much meat (and no red meat), lots of veg, and have (rolled oats) porridge for breakfast to keep the cholesterol down. I've taken cod liver oil for decades and have no arthritis or joint problems. Whether the two are connected, I've no idea. I can't say I've noticed any change in nail growth speed or thickness. Eyes just get a bit worse every couple of years.

You should be fit as a butcher's dog!

Something I didn't appreciate until I read a medical site post a year or so ago was that your balance goes as you get older (I'm 71), which leads to falls, which is usually the beginning of the end. The test was could you stand on one leg for 20 seconds and put your socks on while standing. I couldn't stand on either leg for more than a few seconds, and I certainly couldn't put my socks on without sitting down. The blog said this was something you could regain with practice, though, and it's true. I always stand up to put my socks on now and do a minute on each leg every morning.

You can't go anywhere in our town that isn't up- or downhill, so I try to do a couple of them a day for cardio. Other than that, I don't eat much meat (and no red meat), lots of veg, and have (rolled oats) porridge for breakfast to keep the cholesterol down. I've taken cod liver oil for decades and have no arthritis or joint problems. Whether the two are connected, I've no idea. I can't say I've noticed any change in nail growth speed or thickness. Eyes just get a bit worse every couple of years.
I've experienced a tiny loss of socks on balance this year, but think this is more psrt of my morning origami session due to osteo arthritis, than general lack of balance.
I did actually fall off my roof while up there doing repairs earlier this year, but that was due to a force 9 wind.
I did actually still bounce a bit.🤣
I'm not sure i'm anywhere fit as a butchers dog, on the days i come back from lidl with a serious shop, there's a lot of puffing and panting befote i csn get the key in the door.
Still makes my cats laugh.

Pav - good to hear that you are still here. I've got 2 years on your number so will have experienced all that will happen when you get to it

Eyesight is worth having checked out - could well be Cataracts which will impact. Had both of mine replaced last year (a long story in itself as had a problem with the first one as was allergic to the eye drops needed) and now only need glasses for distance use.

Toenails etc - no idea why, but agree it happens - just get a set of industrial strengh nail clippers and they can be dealt with as long as you can reach that far down.

Just be grateful that you are still clearly mobile and haven't said that you are suffering from anything really serious. Take joy from people, family & the natural world around.

Pav - good to hear that you are still here. I've got 2 years on your number so will have experienced all that will happen when you get to it

Eyesight is worth having checked out - could well be Cataracts which will impact. Had both of mine replaced last year (a long story in itself as had a problem with the first one as was allergic to the eye drops needed) and now only need glasses for distance use.

Toenails etc - no idea why, but agree it happens - just get a set of industrial strengh nail clippers and they can be dealt with as long as you can reach that far down.

Just be grateful that you are still clearly mobile and haven't said that you are suffering from anything really serious. Take joy from people, family & the natural world around.
Hey parky, good to hear from you, should get an eye test next week, and got some good industrial scissors for the toe nails.
Am still mobile but i can't keep going like before, couple of hours with the chainsaw, and that's me for the day.

Hey parky, good to hear from you, should get an eye test next week, and got some good industrial scissors for the toe nails.
Am still mobile but i can't keep going like before, couple of hours with the chainsaw, and that's me for the day.
Pav - tell me about it.

Have a fairly large garden and was fine when I moved here at 60. Now 74 and it's more of an issue

Back