• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wise old gits

Pav - tell me about it.

Have a fairly large garden and was fine when I moved here at 60. Now 74 and it's more of an issue
Crazy as it sounds, i was fine until the forest fires here two years ago, and even though i just managed to save my house, it took a lot out of me, as did the fact it devastated the forests all around me.
It took a while to get any real energy back, easily a year and that i think opened the door to old age and the symptoms.
The forests are still a total mess i have six months at least of tree cutting to get close to normal, and i think that without knowing it, i was depressed and just knackered, and while i am fine now, the stamina never came back as it was.

Crazy as it sounds, i was fine until the forest fires here two years ago, and even though i just managed to save my house, it took a lot out of me, as did the fact it devastated the forests all around me.
It took a while to get any real energy back, easily a year and that i think opened the door to old age and the symptoms.
The forests are still a total mess i have six months at least of tree cutting to get close to normal, and i think that without knowing it, i was depressed and just knackered, and while i am fine now, the stamina never came back as it was.
Find that recovery time needs longer now if I do anything strenuous.

Used to be able to get up the next day and carry on - can't do that now and need a bit more time

Have you thought about walking football? I started playing when I retired and usually play twice a week now. I haven’t been this fit for years despite walking and cycling a fair bit. It’s slower, so less stress on the joints,e but the big thing is you are playing against old buggers who are in the same state as you are.
Funnily enough it started off as walking football about 8 years ago but a few of us 'younger ones' carried it on and it turned into old lads 5-a-side and as the really old ones finished I started asking other blokes at the gym I go to to join, and the age range has come down dramatically now with a few in their 30's playing. I sort of 'run it' and have got 24 signed up now 😄. Usually we can get between 12 and 18 there most weeks. It's a real mix of ages and 'talents'. Some older ones like me have played at a reasonable level whereas some of the younger ones haven't but are naturally more mobile, so it evens itself out. I love it but not the next day or two afterwards 🙄

Find that recovery time needs longer now if I do anything strenuous.

Used to be able to get up the next day and carry on - can't do that now and need a bit more time
I get that, i split my heavy days between my walking days, so it's chainsaw monday, shopping tuesday, chainsaw wednesday .....etc etc

Here's a tip!
With age, inevitably comes, tighter nuts and bolts, and pipe connections, especially those fuckers under the sink, which are a bastard to get at anyway.
I got hold of a piece of steel piping, obviously round, that fits over the handle of spanners etc.
I cut two lengths, 6", and 12", and they are now a major part of my tool kit.
When a nut or joint seems too tough for an old git, i slip whichever piece of pipe fits over the end of the spanner and boy what difference it makes.
WD40 comes in handy too 😏

Simple maths tells you that by increasing the length of the arm in a lever you are able to employ more force at its end.

Yes i agree, but simple maths doesn't tell you to actually cut the pieces of pipe and have them at hand, in your toolbox, when the tough nut actually rears it's ugly head.

Yes i agree, but simple maths doesn't tell you to actually cut the pieces of pipe and have them at hand, in your toolbox, when the tough nut actually rears it's ugly head.
I've always used various lengths of tube on spanners, drive bars etc, not just when I got old,
#weakaspiss.

Here's a tip!
With age, inevitably comes, tighter nuts and bolts, and pipe connections, especially those fuckers under the sink, which are a bastard to get at anyway.
I got hold of a piece of steel piping, obviously round, that fits over the handle of spanners etc.
I cut two lengths, 6", and 12", and they are now a major part of my tool kit.
When a nut or joint seems too tough for an old git, i slip whichever piece of pipe fits over the end of the spanner and boy what difference it makes.
WD40 comes in handy too 😏
Started reading the above and assumed it was a euphemism 😄

Back