• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wise old gits

pavlosmacwolf

Reaction score
Well, unless i am racing into senility faster than it seems to me, there seems to be a fair selection of the above mentioned old gits on the forum, and with me heading towards 72, there's a few things i want to know and chat about with the aged collective on here.
Google is ok, but gets a bit over medical, and doesn't always lead me to my actual question.
So here goes guys and gals.
In the last year or so, i have noticed a couple of things which mystify me, so i'm interested to know if any fellow old gits have the same situation, and of course an explanation.
1. Why are my fingernails and toe nails growing at a turbo speed, in so much as as i almost need to cut them every week, and boy are they tougher than before.
2. I have worn glasses for a few years having spent too long in video edit suites, (not recommended), and i have glasses for close up work or reading, and a few pairs for lets say outdoor wear and distance.
Now my outdoor glasses are piss useless and i see fine without glasses. I still need the readers, but that's it.
So gang, any ideas.
I don't mean this to be a medical thread, just first two queries lean that way.
I'm thinking to be an old git on here, you should be 65 at least, but whatever you guys think.

Varifocals, been wearing them for years, three distances, reading, computer and distance.
Brilliant, just have to get used to moving your head up and down.

Varifocals, been wearing them for years, three distances, reading, computer and distance.
I'm the same, had some for about 4 years, just waiting for my new prescription.
I didn't want multiple specs as that's a pita so went for varifocals, took me about 2-3 months to get properly used to them, now don't even notice them.

But what has caused the change in the first place, and as my old bins don't work anymore, do i need an eye test now ,before getting varifocals, i guess i do.

Your eyes do sort of improve if you've been wearing glasses for decades it seems, my Dad (67 now) keeps getting a "weaker" prescription every couple of years.

Your eyes do sort of improve if you've been wearing glasses for decades it seems, my Dad (67 now) keeps getting a "weaker" prescription every couple of years.
Mines going the other way, I'm looking forward to it going into reverse now.

I have been wearing glasses for reading, close up work for a few years now and though not told to get distance specs, I decided to buy a pair a couple of years ago and occasionally wear them for driving so that I can see signposts easier if I'm in an area I don't know and also have been wearing them at the matches too as it just makes the players crisper and clearer for e now so usually take 2 pairs (close up and distance) with me to Wolves though I don't wear any when walking around. Varifocals may be on the cards next time

I've always had fantastic eyesight but as soon as I turned 40 I started noticing it getting slowly worse. At 46 I now have to hold stuff a bit further away to focus it properly, particularly a bright phone screen. Distance stuff is still fine though.

Oh and all the small/tiny writing on packaging nowadays, I have to get the phone camera out to zoom in a bit if I need to read it.

I've always had fantastic eyesight but as soon as I turned 40 I started noticing it getting slowly worse. At 46 I now have to hold stuff a bit further away to focus it properly, particularly a bright phone screen. Distance stuff is still fine though.

Oh and all the small/tiny writing on packaging nowadays, I have to get the phone camera out to zoom in a bit if I need to read it.
Time to bite the bullet mate!

Eyes change as they get older. I suspect the changes to your distance vision are leading to an improvement. I now need reading glasses - for about 6 years I had them but only needed them for very small print and in poor light. Fortunately even at 60 my distance vision is still excellent - better than 20:20 which isn’t perfect vision but a standard considered to be very good. Who knew you could get better than 20:20?

My prescription usually remains about the same although my distance has deteriorated a bit.
My close eyesight was fucked up by many years working in engineering to very close limits in shit light.

That's how mine started, holding things a bit further away, i've got short arms, so it wasn't long before i was at specsavers.

Presumably you are short sighted. As you get older you get more long sighted or in other words less short sighted. If you are long sighted like me, your eyesight gets worse as you get older. Then you get cataracts.

But what has caused the change in the first place, and as my old bins don't work anymore, do i need an eye test now ,before getting varifocals, i guess i do.
If you were short-sighted it could be due to an elongation of the eyeball. As we get older our muscles aeound the eyeball weaken and the eyeball returns to it's designed shape so that the focal point now hits the retina.

Ok i will go next week if poss, so what about the dinosour toenails, 🤣

Back