• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Andy Woodward

AndyWolves

Reaction score
I watched Victoria Derbyshire this morning and caught Andy Woodward and a few others talking. It was unbelievably moving and harrowing. It was still so raw and just showed how much damage can be done to a person by childhood abuse. The upmost respect for the guy for being a genuine hero and going public with this. Hopefully it will inspire others, past and present, to come forward so we can put a stop to this.

Link to tv footage

https://youtu.be/8c3w48mLMKI

Paul Stewart was one of the players involved as well. Caught part of his interview on Sky. One of the most shocking stories in Football to date.

It doesn’t get much lower than exploiting kids' dreams of becoming footballers. Incredibly brave and moving.

There was a reporter on the news last night (maybe BBC) who says she has spoken to a current pro, who has played for England, who says he was abused but won't come out and speak about it due to having to face fans afterward on the pitch.

The whole thing seems like it spreads far and wide across the country. Have heard some shocking stories coming out from this case.

I might be naive but I think football fans would have nothing but sympathy for him. I think it is so horrendous decenct fans would turn on anyone who dared shout anything.

Last edited:
I'd like to think so too. It very rarely happens when racist abuse gets shouted though.

I think fans now would be on the whole sympathetic, although you only need to hear the Savile chants aimed at Leeds fans to see that some see abuse as something you can make fun out of.

I'm convinced though that if they had opened up in the 80's when most of these lads were breaking through they would have got grief from the the terraces. In that era people chanted at Boro fans about child abuse allegations and Bradford fans about the Ripper, this would have been seen as a weakness and picked on.

The fact that more ex-players are coming forward should make people realise this isn't isolated so I do think that fans would be sympathetic.

What really frightens me is how far this goes, I don't mean just football but other sports / activities too.

The fact that more ex-players are coming forward should make people realise this isn't isolated so I do think that fans would be sympathetic.

What really frightens me is how far this goes, I don't mean just football but other sports / activities too.
Pat Nevin was saying on 5live that it's obvious when you think about. Paedophiles have infiltrated all other areas of society where they come into contact with children; schools, church, youth clubs, scouts etc so it stands to reason they will have done the same with football which outside of schools gives them the greatest access to young boys.

Pat Nevin was saying on 5live that it's obvious when you think about. Paedophiles have infiltrated all other areas of society where they come into contact with children; schools, church, youth clubs, scouts etc so it stands to reason they will have done the same with football which outside of schools gives them the greatest access to young boys.

I guess I'd never really given this subject much thought but upcoming life changes mean I'll be a daddy so this kind of stuff suddenly moves into focus.

I do wonder what the size of the problem is and how much child abuse actually goes on. I'd guess that the vast majority goes unreported. We get enough high profile cases in the media and for each one that gets reported how many go unnoticed?

If football can help remove the stigma from being a victim then hopefully more people who been abused can come forward

I guess I'd never really given this subject much thought but upcoming life changes mean I'll be a daddy so this kind of stuff suddenly moves into focus.

I do wonder what the size of the problem is and how much child abuse actually goes on. I'd guess that the vast majority goes unreported. We get enough high profile cases in the media and for each one that gets reported how many go unnoticed?

If football can help remove the stigma from being a victim then hopefully more people who been abused can come forward

I think Savile and other cases really brought it home that it is far more widespread than previously thought. I suspect I’m not alone in thinking there might be one or two in a town the size of Stafford but the scale of it is much greater and it isn’t restricted to a tiny minority.

Back