• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 5-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The other week we were saying that Lop would be getting this squad top 10 with the PPG he's been getting.

He needs backing, as any manager who wants to refresh and rebuild does, but the chequebook didn't serve us particularly well in the case of Guedes, Nunes, Collins and Cunha. Neither would exorbiant wages wasted on Costa and Adama

Dawson, Lemina and Gomes were much more impressive at a fraction of the cost.

He needs backing but he doesn't need £100m, he needs to get his arse out of his hand, work with the club on canny signings and get us a way of playing away that actually yields points and performances
Didn't he say we don't 50m signings but we do need some signings?

Our stats are Lage-level bad. A reversion to the mean would result in relegation.

His substitutions generally indicate a manager who doesn’t actually know how to change things. He’s pro-active for the sake of pro-activity but I’d say that’s 60/40 in favour of fucking things up.

His media antics this week leave a sour taste in the mouth. His team selection likewise.

I would shed zero tears if he fucked off with half the squad.

Our stats are Lage-level bad. A reversion to the mean would result in relegation.

His substitutions generally indicate a manager who doesn’t actually know how to change things. He’s pro-active for the sake of pro-activity but I’d say that’s 60/40 in favour of fucking things up.

His media antics this week leave a sour taste in the mouth. His team selection likewise.

I would shed zero tears if he fucked off with half the squad.

31 points from 23, his brief was simple this season in keeping us up and he did it with ease in the end.
His football was out of necessity rather than choice.
Lage persisted with dire football even after it was obvious we weren’t going down or getting into Europe.

Away from all season is a show of how weak mentally some of our players are especially the last 3 games played 3 top 6 sides and been outclassed by a mile in all 3.
Even beyond that allowing Leicester back into the game we lost there. No wins in 8 away from home including 6 defeats and only 4 scored conceded 17.

The other factor is our wins have exclusively been on fine margins. Bruno Lage got us 10th on fine margins spending 0 pounds.

We wouldn’t have been on 10 points in 15 games if Steve Davis!!1Wasn’t in charge for 7 of them anyway.

Well thankfully the season is over. It’s not been a vintage one following Wolves away. I dread to think of the Pounds to goals/points ratio that I’ve spent.

The only positive of yesterday was an easy getaway from the ground whilst they all clapped a leaving player they were booing off the pitch only a couple of seasons ago.

Depends how narrow you want to judge the job he's done imo. Seeing the final table we were safe with 5 games to go, that in itself is marvellous from where he took over, particularly without a centre forward.

If you take a broader perspective you see a winning pattern at home which is unsustainable, (not his fault),a series of lines ups away from home which set us up to fail, resulting in more half time substitutions I've seen from any manager, questionable man management skills, doesn’t play the player he specifically wanted and we are paying way over the odds for in as many games as he does, a team who have had no pride in at least 2 away performances leading to our heaviest defeats since coming up and his post match stuff about not being to re-sign Costa and Adama tipped him over the line for me of playing the media game to just looking petulant.

I want him here next season because he's only going to be so if he's convinced by the investment and I have no confidence in us recruiting someone on a par or better. However I'm not as sold on him as others are.

Last edited:
Depends how narrow you want to judge the job he's done imo. Seeing the final table we were safe with 5 games to go, that in itself is marvellous from where he took over, particularly without a centre forward.

If you take a broader perspective you see a winning pattern at home which is unsustainable, (not his fault),a series of lines ups away from home which set us up to fail, resulting in more half time substitutions I've seen from any manager, questionable man management skills, doesn’t play the player he specifically wanted and we are paying way over the odds for in as many games as he does, a team who have had no pride in at least 2 away performances leading to our heaviest defeats since coming up and his post match stuff about not being to re-sign Costa and Adama tipped him over the line for me of playing the media game to just looking petulant.

I want him here next season because he's only going to be so if he's convinced by the investment and I have no confidence in us recruiting someone on a par or better. However I'm not as sold on him as others are.

Agree with a lot of this.

I want him to stay, partly because if he goes it'll be undoubtedly due to the conditions and investment plan, and with those elements in place it'll be tricky to get a decent manager to replace him.

You can rule out all those tasty names from the continent we throw around, we'd be hoping for a gamble from an inexperienced or unheralded manager that pays off. And I'm not confident in our process, so that's not too likely to me.

It would also signal imo that there's a good chance the Mendes grip would be tightened again

Not sure why Lycan has laughed at this. It’s spot on.

He needs to stay as it offers a degree of stability and looks like he has some joined up thinking in his transfer targets unlike the last clown who just waved through whoever was put in front of him.
If he goes as many have stated it’ll be obvious our transfers will be limited and we will getting in a manager who will be way down on the level we’ve got.

The squad is shit! They nearly got us relegated. There is an awful mix of talent and certain personalities in there. If Julen looked lost with his selections and subs (he did, starting Raul today after not last week, wth) it's entirely understandable. I think there was maybe 3-4 times where it looked they clicked (The Brentford-Chelsea games spring to mind).

Lop was managing an inherited squad so I think next season, with backing in transfers (keeper, cb and a damn striker!) and a pre-season to figure out his best line-ups is when I would start being worried about line-up shenanigans.

Back