• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 5-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Lopetegui saying Podence, Costa and Neto had slight injuries and that's why they weren't in the squad. Repeated that there's players he wants to keep and the club have indicated they can't afford to keep them
If this is the case, he'll surely be gone. Why would he willingly stay just to tread water at best when there'll be plenty of offers both here and back in Spain?

He won't get offers that are markedly better in England any time soon, the jobs aren't available (he isn't going to Spurs or Chelsea).

Would obviously easily get a decent job in Europe but the Premier League is the pinnacle as it stands - if he walks away from his first job here at 56 years old then he very well might not get another one.

He won't get offers that are markedly better in England any time soon, the jobs aren't available (he isn't going to Spurs or Chelsea).

Would obviously easily get a decent job in Europe but the Premier League is the pinnacle as it stands - if he walks away from his first job here at 56 years old then he very well might not get another one.

True, but then any reputation uplift from being at Wolves has probably peaked unless Fosun get their cheque book out. As things stand he can walk away saying he arrived at a club that was fucked and at the bottom of the league, and managed to keep them up even though they couldn't score. His rep isn't getting enhanced any further by a full season of brassic struggle in the bottom half of the league

Ugh all these shenanigans are giving me a fucking migraine.

The other week we were saying that Lop would be getting this squad top 10 with the PPG he's been getting.

He needs backing, as any manager who wants to refresh and rebuild does, but the chequebook didn't serve us particularly well in the case of Guedes, Nunes, Collins and Cunha. Neither would exorbiant wages wasted on Costa and Adama

Dawson, Lemina and Gomes were much more impressive at a fraction of the cost.

He needs backing but he doesn't need £100m, he needs to get his arse out of his hand, work with the club on canny signings and get us a way of playing away that actually yields points and performances

I’m not sure he’s really had much of a reputation uplift. No one from the outside is thinking he’s performed some sort of miracle.

Did he have money to spend at Sevilla? I wouldn’t imagine he would have ever been blessed with what was spent in January. Would selling high and replenishing the squad been what he was used to or would someone else be purchasing the players like a DofF?

I’m not sure he’s really had much of a reputation uplift. No one from the outside is thinking he’s performed some sort of miracle.
People who know the game will understand that he’s been victimized by getting us safe too early and without a great deal of drama.

Did he have money to spend at Sevilla? I wouldn’t imagine he would have ever been blessed with what was spent in January. Would selling high and replenishing the squad been what he was used to or would someone else be purchasing the players like a DofF?
Monchi was responsible for that side of things at Seville.

Garagarza was brought with Lop to work the markets but interesting/concerning to read the other day that he has disappeared and spends most of his time back in Spain

Victimised? Behave
???

He hasn’t got nearly the media circus that other “Great Escape”s have.

I’m just pulling the word from the saying. “A victim of his own success”.

Okay. “He’s got less credit than other managers who’ve done similar.”

Monchi was responsible for that side of things at Seville.

Garagarza was brought with Lop to work the markets but interesting/concerning to read the other day that he has disappeared and spends most of his time back in Spain
Lop might be one of those managers who is shite at choosing players and needs a DoF.

His comments on Costa and Traore would suggest just that.

I think there's a number of factors to that:
1 the club have spent a bloody fortune over the last year
2 his reputation brought a degree of expectation
3 the season was in reality a lot earlier than the usual bottom at Xmas narrative
4 the bipolar nature of our home and away form

A few things really.

1) He was given a lot to spend in January, that hasn't gone entirely unnoticed I'm sure, he hasn't worked miracles with the exact same shitmunchers who had us bottom of the league

2) He's done it from a fair distance out, even by mid-February we didn't look particularly likely to go down, so there's no drama as such attached from an outside point of view

3) We still look shite quite often, albeit pretty much exclusively away from home

4) We aren't that attractive a watch as a neutral (we're ok, but you wouldn't line up to watch us) and we aren't as big a story as Everton (70 years in the top flight unbroken) or Leicester (won the league 7 years ago and the cup 3 years ago) or Leeds (massive, ya nor) or a few others down the years, this has been our longest top flight spell for generations

I don’t disagree with any of those things.

Back