• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 5-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

This season is the equivalent of getting 40% in your final module before breaking up for summer at uni. It’s a pass but you should be bloody concerned about next term unless you improve massively.

A back 4 consisting of a 20 year old in his first season who hasn’t being playing recently, the two clowns in the middle and Nelson Semedo is probably the most spineless back 4 the league has ever seen.
As it stands 3 of those start though. Bueno has crashed a bit, so even the one position I thought was fixed may not be for next season.

How many out of Lopetegui's games has Cunha started? Half as a guess, his player, who he wanted, who can't play in the position he wanted him to and we are in the hole for £42m...it's bizarre

Let's just hope today isn't a result of Lop checking out and leaving them to it

As it stands 3 of those start though. Bueno has crashed a bit, so even the one position I thought was fixed may not be for next season
If either of Kilman or Collins start the opener next season that matchday thread is going to be toxic from the off.

I have to trust (more like hope) that today showed Shi the extent to which Lopetegui had kept us up in spite of some truly woeful building blocks.

On Bueno, Saka will make better players than him look as bad or worse. Just a tough day, he’s young enough that I’m not too worried there just yet. Good tape to learn from.

Let's just hope today isn't a result of Lop checking out and leaving them to it
People will say “you can’t read anything in to today”, but this is how it felt at times. On the fairly regular cuts to him in the stands, he looked a combination of either suicidal or that he’d rather be anywhere else.

As many have said, it was a dead rubber, but fans have paid their money to go and support the team today. The body language of the manager in the stands AND the players on the pitch was horrific.

Our 2 worst PL defeats in 5 years have both come in the last month. That doesn't say much for squad mentality, irrespective of team selections. I don't want Lopetegui gone, but would a top class manager engaged in staying have let that happen? I'm not convinced.
I think this is a valid point. I have questioned the mental fragility of this team for 2+ seasons and you'd expect someone of Lopetegui's reputation to be able to do something about it. He clearly has done something about the home form, but away from home we are incredibly fragile and we fall apart way too easily. I think it's a tough job to turn this team around. I'm not sure Lop has the stomach for it.

Genuinely, Jinks, is Lop supposed to look something other than pissed when we play like that and he’s not able to directly adjust?

This season is all on Shi and Fosun. It's their decision making that has been appalling.

Lop didn't look happy today in the box, but he wasn't raging and I can see him saying he's off.

Why would he stay with these players and this board? It's not like he wouldn't get another job somewhere pretty quickly with terms he'd like.

Today's game was a meaningless but gutless display and a real shame for Neves that the rest of his team couldn't be arsed to put a performance in for his last game.

I'm not fussed if Lop stays or not but I am concerned that fuckwit in charge would appoint some twat like Rob Edwards.

Carrying a row over from another thread seems a really good move, well done 👍
It’s not even a row.

It’s akin to me and you being sat next to each other in the ground and as Arsenal’s 5th goal goes in, I turn to you and say “we’d be lucky to get £50m for this lot combined!”, only for Sniffer to lean his head in from the row behind and start insisting that I go over the exact valuations of each and every player in our squad.

It really wasn’t that deep.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lop fucked off in the Summer. Not just because of today obviously, but just looking at it in the round and deciding it's not worth it. He'll know how much work this squad needs, and he'll know that doing that on a tight budget is probably more hard work than he needs at this stage of his career. It's one thing taking the job and having 7th/8th as your target, it's a very different proposition when overachieving is basically just looking safe from relegation for most of the season but knowing that you're only ever a slump away from being dragged into it

my stream today was appalling - stop start, bad picture quality - as bad as the performance, but Upson was on co comms and fuck me did he find everything right for Arsenal.

Under Lage I said pretty early on that Collins and Kilman was a relegation fodder CB pairing, nothing has changed.

Hoping today is a wake up call. We need the new additions in ready for pre season, not several weeks in. And I am talking additions, not major signings.

Pea hearts the lot of them. Genuinely convinced me not renew our season tickets.

Why should I invest money when the owners aren’t willing to, but equally why should I lose my time and money at the alter of the boss’s silly games?

Two years ago Palace rebuilt successfully over the summer. If keeping clear of relegation is the aim it can be done, however I’m pretty sure Lop won’t find that particularly appealing. If he does decide it’s not for him he’ll be gone by the end of the month. If he’s still here then I think he’ll be staying at least until another club comes in for him.

I used to teach. Today was like at the end of term, when uni offers had been confirmed but there were still classes.

Meh. Clear out the shite. Plenty of Dawson/ Lemina value deals to be found by those prepared to look

As it stands 3 of those start though. Bueno has crashed a bit, so even the one position I thought was fixed may not be for next season.

How many out of Lopetegui's games has Cunha started? Half as a guess, his player, who he wanted, who can't play in the position he wanted him to and we are in the hole for £42m...it's bizarre
Semedo and Kilman can do a job with someone decent in between them. But they are clueless without someone telling them what to do which is criminal for Semedo with his “experience”, price tag and wages.

Semedo and Kilman can do a job with someone decent in between them. But they are clueless without someone telling them what to do which is criminal for Semedo with his “experience”, price tag and wages.
If the rumours of other PL clubs being interested in Kilman are true, he can go. Such a passive, shite, nothing centre half.

The issue is, I don’t trust our recruitment team to be capable of finding a better replacement for less money. Especially if Lop doesn’t hang around.

Back