• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa

I really can't see how they are going to get out of this mess, I was going to plonk a purple on them going down but the best I can see today is 7/1.

They are shorter for relegation than Blues. Ouch. You could have got 22/1 about 72 hours ago.

Sky currently showing by play off semi with fans invading pitch and Grealish being carried off on shoulders...hasn't aged well

I really can't see how they are going to get out of this mess, I was going to plonk a purple on them going down but the best I can see today is 7/1.

I got 26/1 just as the FFP news was breaking but hadn't hit the media, I can cash out today for double my stake! (I put on a quid, because I'm a high roller and it's now worth 2!)

I did look at the odds the other day but was weighing up a couple of other bets, looked again tonight and they're through the fucking floor! No surprise though really and more fool me for not acting quicker.

I got 26/1 just as the FFP news was breaking but hadn't hit the media, I can cash out today for double my stake! (I put on a quid, because I'm a high roller and it's now worth 2!)

I wish I had the kind of inside sources that you do.

So if the three transfer listed players do leave (doubtful given the wages they're on and their ages) who will Villa be losing prior to the season kicking off?

Johnstone
Jedinak
Terry
Elmohamady
Whelan
Snodgrass
Grabban
Hutton
Samba
Agbonlahor

Anyone else? It's going to take some monumental rebuilding job given there's absolutely no spare cash, maybe a bit if Grealish and Chester get sold.

I wish I had the kind of inside sources that you do.

Pretty certain it was you who nudged me into betting, though anyone who isn't a Villa fan knew they'd have a tough season next year! Just not as tough as "we can't pay wages and tax".

Kodija, Chester (Brighton sniffing around at £8m) and Grealish may attain decent fees. They'll be lucky to receive anything more than a million for anyone else in the rest of their squad.

Pretty certain it was you who nudged me into betting, though anyone who isn't a Villa fan knew they'd have a tough season next year! Just not as tough as "we can't pay wages and tax".

I told you about Wyness being suspended about 20 mins before it broke ;)

So if the three transfer listed players do leave (doubtful given the wages they're on and their ages) who will Villa be losing prior to the season kicking off?

Johnstone
Jedinak
Terry
Elmohamady
Whelan
Snodgrass
Grabban
Hutton
Samba
Agbonlahor

Anyone else? It's going to take some monumental rebuilding job given there's absolutely no spare cash, maybe a bit if Grealish and Chester get sold.

They didn't play all that much but Onomah and Tuanzebe were also on loan so they've gone. Plus crappy reserve keeper Mark Bunn.

So along with Gollini and Gil (who didn't play either) that's fifteen first team squad players potentially gone before they even look anywhere near getting out of the shit. It looks really bad for them.

In the summer of 2006 we lost the following:

Lescott
Ince
Ganea
Cameron
Kennedy
Anderton
Miller
Ross
Seol
Aliadière
Postma
Silas

Then Naylor was sold a couple of weeks into the season and Frankowski was loaned out to Tenerife.

It's a rebuild on that kind of level, probably on the kind of budget we had too.

Lescott
Ince
Ganea
Cameron
Kennedy
Anderton
Miller
Ross
Seol
Aliadière
Postma
Silas

Then Naylor was sold a couple of weeks into the season and Frankowski was loaned out to Tenerife.

It's a rebuild on that kind of level, probably on the kind of budget we had too.

Fucking hell that's spooky, although I doubt our behind the scenes finances were half as bad as Villa's are today. If they have our 2006 budget then they're certainties for relegation I reckon.

Surely a club of the stature of Aston Villa could attract owners with serious and long term ambitions. I find it difficult to understand why they are in such a mess.

Lescott
Ince
Ganea
Cameron
Kennedy
Anderton
Miller
Ross
Seol
Aliadière
Postma
Silas

Fair comparison. Villa have the benefit of seeing how it can and shouldn't be done. They just need to suck it up and accept where they are if all reports are accurate, and they seem to be.

Surely a club of the stature of Aston Villa could attract owners with serious and long term ambitions. I find it difficult to understand why they are in such a mess.
Easy to understand. The owner gambled the future of the club and lost.

Portsmouth, Leeds are two that gambled red and landed black

Fucking hell that's spooky, although I doubt our behind the scenes finances were half as bad as Villa's are today. If they have our 2006 budget then they're certainties for relegation I reckon.

We had Sir Jack backing us up so there was never a question of getting in trouble with HMRC, failing to pay creditors, needing advances just to solve cashflow or anything like that. But he was then at the stage of making sure we didn't go under and nothing else, and the rest was Jez's to run.

We dropped lucky that Hoddle eventually buggered off and Mick was still available and willing to have a go. Oh, and that Murray actually stayed fit for nearly a year.

Definite parallel with Lescott/Grealish - we got nowhere near the fee we could/would have got had we not needed to sell right there and then, but obviously everyone else in the footballing world knew he wasn't staying and we had next to no other assets.

Plus if the good doctor were to sell then I'm sure all the money he has given to the club wasn't a gift and will be in the form of debt to be loaded on the club.

And there's the fact that they aren't that big, have a very unstable fanbase and winning the European cup 40 years ago don't mean shit.

Back