• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Baseball thread 2016

The curse is ending this year. I feel it in my bones. Back to the Future is only going to be a year out in their prediction.

Cleveland 2-0 up on Toronto.

Cubs win first game of the series against the Dodgers with a grand slam homer in the eighth.

Indians into the World Series. Cubs v Dodgers is tied at 2-2 with one game in LA and two a Wrigley field left.

As long as some twat in the crowd doesn't try and catch a "foul ball" with two outs in the ninth of the decisive game...

I know absolutely nothing about baseball but I'm currently watching the film Moneyball and the thing that has amazed me most is that they play 160 games a season??

162 and then post season (if you make the world series from a wild card game with all series going to maximum number of games) is another 20 games.

So they just play every other day for a whole year or something?

I know absolutely nothing about baseball but I'm currently watching the film Moneyball and the thing that has amazed me most is that they play 160 games a season??

Read the book it's better (although the film is good). The season starts at the end of March and ends with the play offs this month. They tend to play 6 days out of 7 with a starting pitcher starting every 5 games (their arms wouldn't take it pitching on less rest). Most pitching rotations are 5 starters with 6-8 middle relievers and closers. Closers can play every day as they pitch 1 inning max, but these guys are superstars that save games for about a 3rd of the season (Mariano Rivera was one of the best and Aroldis Chapman now).

They then have a few weeks off, some players go and play in the Dominican Leagues and then all the MLB clubs start with the Grapefruit League which is essentially their spring training before they do it all over again. Added to that you have free agency at the end of the season where players move clubs.

I find it fascinating.

They tend to play about 4 or 5 days on and then 1 day off, depending on if they need to get across the country from a series in say Miami to then play away at the Giants in San Francisco.

Cubs now 3-2 up on the Dodgers with just the two games at Wrigley field left between them and the World Series against the Indians. Fingers crossed!

I really didn't thin the Indians would get this far. Got to fancy the Cubs after Rizzo and Russel finally came to life earlier this week.

Rizzo is a great player. Expecting him to do well in the World Series if the Cubs make it. Indians just dismissed the Blue Jays really, which was a surprise. And they have home advantage for the World Series because of the All Star game result. Frankly ridiculous when you consider how much better the Cubs regular season record was, but them's the rules.

It is daft how the they try and make the All-Star game relevant. I still expect the Cubs to win it all though it could be an interesting set of finals with the pressure on the Cubs to achieve. Arrieta and Lester will have to be the aces they are to win in.

The Cubs are into the World Series. That is a first league pennant since 1945. Now to win the whole damn thing!

Well last night, the first game of the World Series, was a bit of a nightmare for the Cubs as they crashed 0-6 to the Indians.

However, tonight The Cubs have won in Cleveland 5-1 to tie the Series at 1-1.

We now move to Chicago on 29th October for the first game at Wrigley Field...It is still on, come on Cubs

Back