• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best England Cricket XI - 1978 to 2020

Really don't get why Stewart is getting the nod over Cook :icon_lol:

He was captain for barely a year, we won vs SA but lost in Australia (as usual) and got drummed out of our home World Cup behind Zimbabwe. Also other than KP (which was for reasons other than on field performance, though he wasn't very good) I think he's the only captain to be actually sacked in my time. I'm too young to remember the Gatting stuff.

As I say I wasn't Cook's biggest fan, he let games drift far too often for a start, but he has actual achievements on his CV.

Vaughan and Willis were not picked. I never trusted Cook that much as a Captain. Stewart and Gower were average. Was Gower the skipper at headingly in 81?

Brearley in 81.

Gower won the 1985 Ashes as captain. His overall record is actually rubbish but it's massively skewed by us losing 10-0 to the Windies over two series.

Gatting has an absolutely bizarre record! (Not that he's in the conversation) P23 W2 D16 L5

Gooch
Cook
Gower

You really can't have Botham as captain. The first two tests of the 81 Ashes were a bomb scare until Brearley took over the captaincy duties.

Glad he made the team though. The batting line up is really bloody good.

From what choices there are then

Gooch
Cook

Gower/Stewart (either as a poor third)

Indeed. Although you'd think their openers from the same period would be 2 of Taylor, Slater, Langer and Hayden

Their team would be depressingly good!

Maybe Warner could challenge Slats. Maybe. Rogers in with a shout too.

Hayden
Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
Border
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
McDermott
Gillespie
McGrath

Nobody from the current side. Smith should be in but can't pick him over either Waugh, Border or Ponting. Cummins may in a couple of years

No Taylor, Langer, Martyn, Boon, Lawson, Clarke, Alderman, Healey, Hughes or Lee
Lillee and Thomson were past their best from when I can remember

Maybe Mitchlol over McDermott?

Ryan Harris was ridiculously good too. Their Simon Jones.

Maybe Mitchlol over McDermott?

Ryan Harris was ridiculously good too. Their Simon Jones.
Yes, I had Harris in over McDermott, but then looked him up and he only played 27 Tests so swapped them. Mitchell misses out as the very bad was as awful as the very good was great

Hayden
Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
Smith
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
McDermott
Starc
McGrath

A left arm bowler for Warne. Can't pick Johnson so I'd have Starc instead.

Back