• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best holiday destinations

Booked a long weekend in Krakow next month with a couple of friends. Really looking forward to it - first trip to Poland. Or anywhere east of The Netherlands come to think of it (Greece doesn't count).

:)

35523493-compass-background.jpg

What's wrong with that....?

#thebenefitsofbeingamod

What's wrong with that....?

#thebenefitsofbeingamod

ha, cheeky, lol. making me look a plank instead - I like it.
I considered it a typo anyway langers, you being a clever one.

ha, cheeky, lol. making me look a plank instead - I like it.
I considered it a typo anyway langers, you being a clever one.

Still don't know what you mean.

Anyway, Krakow - anyone been? Any recommendations?

Not been to Krakow, but have heard it's nice.

We've booked flights for a three-week trip to see family in Australia at the end of June. Sort of to celebrate my 50th and the end of the girls' exams. Can't really afford it but hey...
Flying into Cairns via Singapore - four days in Cairns with family, then hiring either campervan or car to drive down the east coast to the Gold Coast where my family live. Still working on the finer details.
Have to see the Great Barrier Reef before it finally dies - and in doing so contribute to its destruction of course (let me know if you'd like me to snap a piece off for you). #greenvotinghypocrite

Only thing I know about Kraków is they run the auschwitz tours from there,I've done that,it's worth going to see,the rooms full of belongings from the last week of the final solution,bring home the scale of death that occurred.
The auschwitz side of it is done at a brisk pace to get the amount of visitors through,you enter a gas chamber which is chilling to say the least.
The birkinau side of it I enjoyed more(wrong phrase but you know what I mean)it's a better pace,a lot bigger,you see the old crematorium,and they take you around a barrack/living block as well.
On another grim note,if you ever find yourself that way,the genocide museum in Vilnius is proper spine chilling,you get a pre-recorded guide and are allowed to walk around on your own,the building at one time has housed the nazis and the KGB,and there's lots of bricks on the outside of the building with a name on,in memory of a person who died inside,I'm not going to give the twist at tours end away,just that it really leaves you shocked and numb

Yeah, we're doing an Auschwitz tour on one of the days - kind of feel I have to do it as it'll be so close by.

I told my son about the places I want to see and he said that if I felt a bit sad as I'm walking round Auschwitz, I could always pick up my phone and play on Pokemon Go to cheer myself up....

My dad went on a tour of a salt mine somewhere round that way years ago, said that was worth a visit, got a church or something down there carved out of the salt.

My dad went on a tour of a salt mine somewhere round that way years ago, said that was worth a visit, got a church or something down there carved out of the salt.

Yeah I've seen a full day tour which incorporates the salt mines as well as Auschwitz. Might be worth considering.

just remember to not be a dick at auschwitz,no selfies in the gas chamber,pretending to get zapped by the electric fence,and no balancing on the railway tracks pretending to be a gymnast,or walking along the rails balancing,people do do these things,mainly young adults who either don't know what happened there,or don't care and need a good hard punch to the face repeatedly until they do care

just remember to not be a dick at auschwitz,no selfies in the gas chamber,pretending to get zapped by the electric fence,and no balancing on the railway tracks pretending to be a gymnast,or walking along the rails balancing,people do do these things,mainly young adults who either don't know what happened there,or don't care and need a good hard punch to the face repeatedly until they do care

Otherwise known as the Instafuckwits

Yea,that's the phrase I was looking for

I'm going to Portland/Seattle in a few weeks, mixed work/personal. Pretty excited to see some old friends and hangout in the rainy/foresty northwest.

IIRC the salt mines we went to had a big 'ol slide (more or less) to get down into it, which was fun. :D

Shit, I was going to take Snapchats of myself with crazy hair styles throughout the whole thing as well.

Just back from a week on the Bulgarian coast - what a great place!!

We stayed by a beautiful old town called Nessebar. Very picturesque, loads of bars/restaurants, the beaches are excellent and our hotel was spotlessly clean. And - despite it being mid-August - never seemed overly busy so getting a sunbed was never a problem.

The biggest positive was the sea food - possibly the best I've ever had. We ate seafood every night and never had a bad meal - very fresh and tasty and also cheap. A hearty meal with starters and main course including 2 drinks came to roughly £35 in the most expensive place we ate in so you get ridiculously good value. You can easily have an evening meal for 2 for the equivalent of £20.

Just don't go to Sunny Beach (3 miles to the north of Nessebar). It's fucking horrendous. A chav infested hell hole. Dirty, loud, in your face, tacky, slutty - way worse than we thought it would be. We intended to go for the evening for a laugh but lasted 2 hours because it was so horrible! They should rename it Sandwell on Sea.

But anyway - we hope to return to the same hotel next year with the kids. I really recommend it.

Just back from a week on the Bulgarian coast - what a great place!!

We stayed by a beautiful old town called Nessebar. Very picturesque, loads of bars/restaurants, the beaches are excellent and our hotel was spotlessly clean. And - despite it being mid-August - never seemed overly busy so getting a sunbed was never a problem.

The biggest positive was the sea food - possibly the best I've ever had. We ate seafood every night and never had a bad meal - very fresh and tasty and also cheap. A hearty meal with starters and main course including 2 drinks came to roughly £35 in the most expensive place we ate in so you get ridiculously good value. You can easily have an evening meal for 2 for the equivalent of £20.

Just don't go to Sunny Beach (3 miles to the north of Nessebar). It's fucking horrendous. A chav infested hell hole. Dirty, loud, in your face, tacky, slutty - way worse than we thought it would be. We intended to go for the evening for a laugh but lasted 2 hours because it was so horrible! They should rename it Sandwell on Sea.

But anyway - we hope to return to the same hotel next year with the kids. I really recommend it.

Sunny Beach is just one big money laundering pit for the Rooskies. Went there about 10 years ago and it was getting ropey even back then.

Our 40th wedding anniversary, thinking of a short city break, considering, Venice, Florence or Seville. Anyone been to these? Thoughts?
Its probably going to have to be during the fortnight school hols at Easter, not the Easter weekend though

Back