• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best holiday destinations

I'd pick Florence,just for all the paintings by Titian in the uffizi,that need to be seen,
I've had a few mates go to Venice and have all been a bit meh about it,
Seville,there's a barber there,and it's oranges,that's all I know

Our 40th wedding anniversary, thinking of a short city break, considering, Venice, Florence or Seville. Anyone been to these? Thoughts?
Its probably going to have to be during the fortnight school hols at Easter, not the Easter weekend though
I've not visited Seville but between Florence and Venice I'd pick Florence. Both Florence and Venice are cool though.

Florence is lovely. Tie it in with a day-trip to Pisa, which would probably be the airport you’d fly to.

Lucca is well worth a visit if you're headed to Florence.

Loved Florence. Sitting outside on top of the Duomo is breathtaking and one for the bucket list. Personally, I liked Seville too and its convenient to hop over the bridge to Portugal.
This week I am visiting Budapest so will be catching up with the Torino game via here.

I've been to Venice twice, it's lovely but it does empty your wallet quickly.

Siena is a good day trip from Florence as well, certainly much nicer than Pisa. Venice is extremely touristy but it is unique and you actually don’t have to walk far out of the main areas to find yourself alone in a piazza.

Thanks for the info guys, really helpful, I'll welcome more though

I would thoroughly recommend Sienna. Less keen on Pisa. The tower complex is interesting enough but the rest of the town is a bit of a dump.

Thanks for the info guys, really helpful, I'll welcome more though

If you choose Venice then stay on the Lido rather than in the city itself. Cheaper, very relaxed and parts that you wouldn't see otherwise. Then it's just a short boat ride into the centre.

Didn't like Venice, crowded and dirty. Although my judgement is clouded by having a toddler with me when I was there
Florence is beautiful, but bloomin expensive
Siena is lovely for an afternoon
Pisa is fine for a couple of hours in a tick the box kind of why

Pisa is a bit pants apart from the tower tbh.
We flew into Pisa, took a few pictures and then used the train across to Florence.

If you go to Venice then check out Burano, it's a little further out than Murano but it's lovely (by further out I mean a fairly short boat ride).

Florence and Venice are both beautiful. Venice is busy and bloody expensive if you do the tourist bits but you can get lost in Venice, end up in a stunning church with gorgeous 16th century paintings and not another soul in there.

The Academia bridge is a better view than the Realto bridge and St. George's Church is a better place to see St. Mark's square than St. Mark's sq. Much quieter and you can feel very patriotic if that's your thing.

Restaurants are great away from the main drags and you will be able to find pizza sold out of windows and shops where you can fill your empty water bottle with top class wine for about €5.

I agree with Aiki about Burano and Murano, both are worth a visit.

Florence is bloody busy but the art and architecture is worth your time. Food is OK. Not a patch on Venice IMO.

Seems like many of you have some knowledge of Italy, so I'll ask for some tips for Rome, as myself and my wife are having a long weekend there at the start of Oct.

Sevilla old town has 3 UNESCO World heritage sites; The Alcazar, The Cathedral and the Archives of the Indies. The capital of Andalucia and the nearby towns of Santiponce and Carmona provide Roman archeological remains.

Seems like many of you have some knowledge of Italy, so I'll ask for some tips for Rome, as myself and my wife are having a long weekend there at the start of Oct.
Rome is amazing, my fav city.

Just don't wear shorts if you plan on heading to the Vatican!

If it's a long weekend you might not get chance but the Appian way and catacombs is pretty cool.

Rome is amazing, my fav city.

Just don't wear shorts if you plan on heading to the Vatican!

If it's a long weekend you might not get chance but the Appian way and catacombs is pretty cool.
I got in the Vatican in shorts. Mrs had to buy a scarf thing from some street vendor though as apparently her skirt wasn't long enough.

Back