• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Birmingham 0 Wolves 1 - Verdict Thread

Langers

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly not anywhere near our best, but I didn't think we were as bad as was made out on the matchday thread. Nervy at times for sure, but we were in full control in the first half, created some great chances and should have been out of sight before the tempers started to boil over.

But overall, we deserved to win and were never in trouble of conceding partly down to Blues showing the potency of Brewdog Nanny State and our 3 centre halves being excellent.

It certainly wasn't 'awful' - we won a scrappy game, played good stuff at times and although we were miles off the usual pace we set, we were more than worthy winners.

We'll win the league because we're so much better than other sides in this league. Playing below par and winning is no bad thing but Nuno will want to see improvements.

Game of two halves, second half was terrible, but we shouldn't forget that we walked all over them in the first half.

Win ugly not a problem at all even still we should have buried the game.

Could have easily been 3 or 4 but very casual 2nd half.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

We sounded poor,but hey another three points,4 clear of second,10 clear of third,blues still in the shit,what's not to like?

We can expect more treatment like that over the next few months. Better get used to it.

Should have been more comfortable than it was 1-0 and with them down to ten and we coast it. However we were pretty sloppy at times, Alf lucky not to walk on another day too. Saying that we still should have been 3-0 up and for all Blues possession they never remotely looked like scoring at any time during the game. We move on to Saturday.

Did enough - poor second half

Ruddy still didn't have to make a save at any point - we did miss Neves

Game of two halves, second half was terrible, but we shouldn't forget that we walked all over them in the first half.

Indeed. We demolished them 1st half. N'Diaye and Bonatini particularly great first half but piss poor 2nd.

Still, 47 points after 20 games is fucking great.

We looked rock fucking solid. Our defence is superb.

Blues had ZERO shots on goal.

It was never going to be a classic. It felt like we kept them at arms length and they didn't have one single decent chance.

Of course we looked a bit more disjointed in midfield without Neves but n'diaye did ok.

Back 3 were phenomenal and bazza at left back blocked most crosses

Glad we won. Glad it's over.

Not an all star performance. Defense did their job, we capitalized on a mistake early on to get through, which is lucky because we were rather mediocre going forward after. Poor passing, greedy finishing, pretty sloppy.

Need a good performance in the next match.

Don't think we were particularly good. We missed Neves I'd say. N'Diaye is a decent player but I'm yet to be convinced he suits our style perfectly.
That said, we didn't look likely to concede ever and as an individual, Jota terrorised their defence. Once we scored, the win was at no point in doubt.
Think N'Diaye could have been sent off on another day for his headbutt/slap. But then again their CB should have been off after 12 minutes and Dean deserved his too.

Look on the bright side everyone - one more win and we should be safe from relegation...

Hard fought win in a derby game of 2 halves.

We were very good in the first half without making our dominance pay off enough. The second half we were dreadful, giving away possession far too easily. Blues looked better with Gleeson on. Roberts should have walked in the first half for a shocking challenge on Jota then in the 2nd, N'Diaye was a bit fortunate to stay on after his altercation.

A word for Jota - he's a tough little cookie for a fancy, flair player. He took a hell of a lot of shit tonight but came through (hopefully) unscathed. I thought Costa looked poor when he came on.

Big 3 points, it's a great sign of champions to be able to win ugly in games like this. 10 points clear of 3rd, 6 wins on the bounce, another clean sheet - why is my heart pounding so much?!

Jota did really, really well to get airborne when he got clattered. If he didn't that was a leg breaker.

Blues clogger should have gone for that.

Blues made it difficult 2nd half but that’s it they created nothing. The right result was met even with us in 2nd gear.
Willy Boly MOM for me won everything.

First half we were alright, a bit ponderous for my liking and sloppy in the final third but Blues were terrible and offered nothing. Don't think the bobbly pitch helped.

Second half Birmingham were much better on the ball and we struggled to maintain possession for the most part. We still created a couple of good chances and should have been out of sight while Birmingham created zero chances and Ruddy had no saves to make. Defense was rock solid but we gave the ball away very sloppily more often than I would like, if it's a bit of complacency setting in then I'm sure Nuno will slap it out of them this week.

3 points and a clean sheet so job done. Hope Saiss' injury isn't too bad, Neves back in the team for the weekend at Molineux, happy days.

47 points from 20 games and still top of the table - OK so tonight wasn't a classic we dug in and fought off a determined Blues team in the 2nd half - and David Davies didn't get them the equaliser

Bright looked a lot more comfortable away than he has at home, couple of nice touches and kept the ball well

Yeah, can't argue with the 3 points. I do so wish we had been more on our game and won by a few though. Onwards!

Back