• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Birmingham City 2 - 1 Wolves Verdict Thread.

That doesn't mean you always have to do that though, i've not seen yesterday's game so i can't really comment but you can't just approach every game with the same mentality

There isn't a single member on this forum that said we should play Edwards instead of Dicko/Afobe though.

There isn't a single member on this forum that said we should play Edwards instead of Dicko/Afobe though.

Oh i know, but it still applies. We need to have more than 1 way of playing and can't rely on Dicko/Afobe.

That game was crying out for David Edwards. We should've taken one of Dicko or Afobe off for him after 60 mins. We certainly shouldn't have taken James Henry off.

Given that there were 30 mins to go after they scored the second am a little surprised that KJ did not try to change the point of attack that much.

Blues were nothing special and merely bringing on VLP for Henry didn't change the game sufficiently to affect it - he had 2 more subs he could have used to pose different questions

Ikeme - 6 - I think he was being obstructed for the first goal so I wont blame him for that and had no chance for the second. Had a few saves to make but they were pretty routine, mostly long range shots straight at him. There was one cross which flashed across the face of goal (probably their best chance) which I thought he could've done a bit better on but apart from that he was ok. His distribution was terrible though and IMO a major part of why we looked so bad. Not once did Ikeme roll the ball out short or go for the quick ball out behind the Blues defence. Every time he had the ball in his hands he fannied about, let both teams sort themselves out and then punted it long towards Dicko or Afobe.

Iorfa - 7.5 - The only defensive player who can hold his head high and say he played to the best of his ability. Defensively he was superb. Every time one of their wingers got near him he snapped into the tackle or blocked the cross. Going forward he looked like one of the few Wolves players who looked like he gave a shit about this game, Blues were absolutely terrified of him. There was one time where he got a bit tangled up and ended up clearing the penalty area with his cross but I'm willing to forgive that as he was so impressive throughout.

Stearman - 5 - Completely bossed by Clayton Donaldson, in the first half he didn't win a single header. I felt this was a huge mistake by Kenny Jackett, he moved Batth onto Donaldson at half time which was more of an even match up but he should've made that change after the first 10 minutes when it was clear Stearman was out of his depth. As the game was drawing to a close Stears tried to bring the ball out of defence and make something happen, clearly pissed off by what was happening in front of him. For that he regains a bit of respect but mostly he was poor.

Batth - 5 - Had a better time vs Donaldson than Stearman but still made hard work of it and had a number of very wobbly moments. Was consistently dragged out into areas he shouldn't be going anywhere near and was booked for a very cynical foul. There was one corner right infront of the Wolves fans from the left hand side where he almost got his head on the ball and another corner where he looked like he was being fouled but apart from that a pretty poor game. I went to the game with my Dad who is a huge Danny Batth fan and he was really disappointed with Danny's performance. He played a few nice passes out to Iorfa in the second half though.

Golbourne - 2 - He was appalling before the 2nd goal, after it he was even worse. Kenny Jackett has a limited amount of time to sort him out before Boro, if he hasn't improved before then I'd have him straight out for Hause. We can't afford to have him up against Adomah if he's going to play like that. He looked scared of the ball after his fuck up and was an accident waiting to happen, I'd have taken him off not long after the 2nd goal. His 2 points were earned by his stamina and willingness to run up and down his line all day, apart from that everything he did was just disgraceful. Going forward he was always available on the left hand side but he did fuck all with it when it went out to him, he just fucks about with it, lets the chance pass and then lays it back for Sako. He was nothing more than a dummy runner going forward, just a wasted shirt on the day and one of the many Wolves players who I felt didn't give 100% for the fans,

Price - 5.5 - Price was fucking shit yesterday but at least he looked like he gave 2 shits about Wolverhampton Wanderers. When he had time on the ball he was calm and composed but when Brum rushed him he misplaced passes and put us under a lot of pressure. I'm bumping up his score slightly as I felt that he didn't have much help from his midfield partner. Diego Fabbrini was Blues' best player on the day and Price just didn't have an answer. Fabbrini kept drifting inside Wolves players as if they weren't there and Price just couldn't get close to him, you could see Jacko getting more and more frustrated and in the end he ended up just kicking him up in the air. Very lucky not to pick up a second booking IMO. Gleeson and Tesche won the midfield battle as well but I felt that was more down to McDonald than Price.

McDonald - 4.5 - Rubbish. Earlier in the season he had a very wobbly game vs Blues and then went on a terrible run where he just surrendered the midfield to the opposition at first contact, resulting in our shocking November form. I felt like his brain fart vs Leeds had really affected him, he didn't look confident at all. There were a few periods where we got the ball down and passed it in front of Blues (nothing came from it) and one move where Macca stepped past a Blues defender in the first half and fired just past the post but those were his only good spells. Apart from that he was very sloppy. He kept letting Blues midfielders run off him unchecked, was careless in possession and had one decent chance that he ballooned over the bar. It was just shit technique, leaning back all the way.

Henry - 7.5 MOTM - Why KJ took James Henry off I will never know. Hands down our best player and the only one who looked like he was trying something different to break Blues down. Grounds couldn't get anywhere near him and he created a few quality chances in the first half. He had one shot on his left foot in the first half where I felt like he should've passed to Afobe instead and another in the second where he was falling over as he struck the ball and ended up just fluffing it at Randolph. Really shit technique and he really should've done better. Apart from that he was top drawer and I was spitting when he was taken off.

Afobe - 6.5 - Took his goal well but cut a very frustrated figure on the day, trudged off with his shoulders slumped at both half & full time. I thought he was forced to drop way too deep in search of possession, he did well with it when he got on the ball but didn't get on the ball in the right areas. There was one lovely move between him and Nouha which ended in a shot from Afobe, I was right behind it and it was going right in the corner but a Blues defender got his foot on the ball at the last minute.

Sako - 4 - Fucking wank. In the first half he was way too deep and was dreamy in possession, acted like we just had to turn up and Blues would hand us 3 points on a platter. In the second half our plan B (after plan A of hoofing the ball aimlessly at Dicko) was to just pass the ball to Sako and hope he did something special. He was often up against 2 or 3 men and nothing he tried came off. Not helped by the hapless McDonald and Golbourne on his side though, we just collapsed down the left. In the second half he tried a ridiculous piece of skill in a stupid area and lost the ball, instead of charging back to help in defence like usual he just gave up and threw his hands in the air. Unforgivable really and really uncharacteristic. Haven't seen him have a game that bad for a long time and he should've been taken off instead of Henry.

Dicko - 6.5 - In the first half he was a real danger. Fantastic work for our goal, could've lost the ball several times but he never gave up. In the second half he was marked out of the game, although he had one decent chance to have a go at goal but chose to pass to Afobe instead. One of the few who could walk off with his head held high.

van La Parra - 6 - There was a guy stood behind me who went off on a ridiculous rant against van La Parra but I didn't think he was that bad tbh. One of the main accusations thrown at him was that he lacked heart but I thought he was one of the few who actually looked to have a go. Got in decent areas and linked up with Iorfa well but lacked a bit of end product. Had one shot unfortunately charged down after Iorfa had played him in.

Ref - Shite. Made a number of baffling decisions. Sako put Caddis on his arse with a lovely piece of skill in the second half and he blew up for a free kick as Bakary bore down on goal. Blues did a real number on him IMO, they saw that he was a right fussy bastard early on and played up to that. How we had so many more players booked than they did I'll never know and he just let their time wasting go on unchecked.

Kenny Jackett - Got it all wrong today. We approached the game all wrong with far too much long ball football. Henry off for van La Parra was the wrong sub and I wanted Edwards on as well. We needed a leader on the pitch and someone who would put Blues under a bit of pressure.

That seems very harsh on Golbourne, Lycan, he may have been poor yesterday but has he ever had another bad game? I don't remember one. As for Sako, Kmac and Price...same old, same old

Very scathing, but most who went seem to agree with you. It's disappointing that we put in this performance at a time when we could have opened up a small gap from Derby and Brentford at least. Like I said before though, this is a young team and I think your last sentence about a leader is quite important, this team needs people to step up now in the final run of the season. Stearman has done that well this season and McDonald has in the past couple of months. We need a win from the next two for definite

That seems very harsh on Golbourne, Lycan, he may have been poor yesterday but has he ever had another bad game? I don't remember one. As for Sako, Kmac and Price...same old, same old

He was poor vs Rotherham (H) but that was one of his first games back from injury and I put that up to a lack of match fitness. IMO unless he shows in training that he's gotten over that error then he needs protecting, he looked absolutely terrified of the ball. This is coming from a huge Scott Golbourne fan btw.

Very scathing, but most who went seem to agree with you. It's disappointing that we put in this performance at a time when we could have opened up a small gap from Derby and Brentford at least. Like I said before though, this is a young team and I think your last sentence about a leader is quite important, this team needs people to step up now in the final run of the season. Stearman has done that well this season and McDonald has in the past couple of months. We need a win from the next two for definite

I'm sad to say it but I think this side showed their true colours yesterday. Too many young/inexperienced players and too many who roll over at the first sign of trouble. If we make it into the play offs I'm not sure I'd back them to deal with the pressure.

One game. Good lord. They have been shooting the lights out since Christmas. Have a little faith.

One game. Good lord. They have been shooting the lights out since Christmas. Have a little faith.

Not one game Paddy. Everyone was saying it didn't matter vs Leeds. It fucking did matter. The last 5 goals we've conceded have been fucking embarrassing.

'True colours' is a bit of an over-reaction though - this young team has done fantastically well to be in with a shout having come up from League 1.

Not one game Paddy. Everyone was saying it didn't matter vs Leeds. It fucking did matter. The last 5 goals we've conceded have been fucking embarrassing.

Whilst I am happy with us trying to play football from the back & not just lumping it forward, there are times when defenders need to realise that thumping it out of play early is the right thing to do.

McDonald v Leeds & Golbourne yesterday would have been better served by doing just that & would have saved 2 goals from being conceeded

I'm sad to say it but I think this side showed their true colours yesterday. Too many young/inexperienced players and too many who roll over at the first sign of trouble. If we make it into the play offs I'm not sure I'd back them to deal with the pressure.

You're one of my favorites around here and I'm no stranger to pant-wetting, myself, but to suggest that yesterday is indicative of our true quality is absolutely mystifying. If these players would really "roll over" at the first sign of trouble, we'd never have come back from our poor autumn run.

Sure, it was a bad performance, but even Sunderland beat fucking Chelsea (at Stamford Bridge!) last season and that didn't automatically make the Blues full of no-hopers and cowards.

The doomsaying here is highly misplaced, mate. Not having a go. Just think you're well wide of the mark on this one.

Alan has favourites. Alan out.

If these players would really "roll over" at the first sign of trouble, we'd never have come back from our poor autumn run.

We came back from that poor autumn run by changing many of the players though.

Kicked off by injuries to Stearman and Dicko, iirc? Trying to figure out what to do without them in the spine really threw everything else off.

Back