• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Birmingham City 2 - 1 Wolves Verdict Thread.

We should have stuck with the losing team then?

I think the point being made is that it wasn't just one team but a constant tinkering of players which destabilised the squad from its winning run and then entered a losing run where everything suddenly became uncertain.

The return of a more stable line-up got the team back to winning ways.

i would maintain that losing Dicko for that period was the biggest factor, especially as we had no replacement of note.

Ken made the odd decision to attribute goals conceded vs Reading, Huddersfield and Wigan to Stearman and Golbourne (the latter we subsequently found was probably injured anyway, though he lingered on the bench for a month or so), we ended up with Ebanks-Landell next to Batth which isn't ideal as they have similar limitations and Rowe at left back which is at best an oblong peg in a square hole. Coupled with Doherty going through his spell of being responsible for at least one goal a game in the majority of fixtures due to his inability to ever stop any crosses ever and his tendency to turn like a Tonka truck with two broken wheels, this left us incredibly vulnerable at the back but we didn't really do anything to fix it until the Bournemouth game (and subsequently, the Sheff Wed game) when changes were enforced and Iorfa and Hause came in along with the return of Stearman.

I don't really have a problem with that, sometimes managers just drop lucky. Dave Jones would never have picked Matt Murray if Oakes hadn't got injured, he'd never have paired Miller and Ndah either if they hadn't been the very last two forwards we had available, we ended up getting promoted. Van Gaal has stumbled upon a winning combination because he's been forced into playing certain players in a certain formation for availability reasons and it's worked out.

Ken made the odd decision to attribute goals conceded vs Reading, Huddersfield and Wigan to Stearman and Golbourne (the latter we subsequently found was probably injured anyway, though he lingered on the bench for a month or so), we ended up with Ebanks-Landell next to Batth which isn't ideal as they have similar limitations and Rowe at left back which is at best an oblong peg in a square hole. Coupled with Doherty going through his spell of being responsible for at least one goal a game in the majority of fixtures due to his inability to ever stop any crosses ever and his tendency to turn like a Tonka truck with two broken wheels, this left us incredibly vulnerable at the back but we didn't really do anything to fix it until the Bournemouth game (and subsequently, the Sheff Wed game) when changes were enforced and Iorfa and Hause came in along with the return of Stearman.

I don't really have a problem with that, sometimes managers just drop lucky. Dave Jones would never have picked Matt Murray if Oakes hadn't got injured, he'd never have paired Miller and Ndah either if they hadn't been the very last two forwards we had available, we ended up getting promoted. Van Gaal has stumbled upon a winning combination because he's been forced into playing certain players in a certain formation for availability reasons and it's worked out.

Superb, just superb...... had me loling at my desk

looked scared , petrified even against blues , why oh why did ikeme not come to claim the ball for their 1st goals and what the fuck was golbourne doing for their winner ?? should have just played it back to the keeper or put it in the stand , possibly the worst performance ive seen from mcdonald in a wolves shirt plus rvlp was shocking when he came on as was sako , they all looked like rabbits in the headlights

saying that we have had a good season and anyone would have ripped their arms off had they said we'd be in with a chance of the play-offs

i would maintain that losing Dicko for that period was the biggest factor, especially as we had no replacement of note.

Agree with this. Also think Evans injury didn't help, as he had been playing brilliantly up to that point.

SBB, Ikeme was blocked. Golbourne should have passed it back to Ikeme.

Golbourne is class..hope he doesnt lose confidence of one bad game..

he sounded OK in the post match interview

disappointed for sure, but sounded ready to take on the next game

Wolves youtube channel has all the match highlights.

thanks - i had looked on youtube but the highlights were a long way down the list for some reason.

Back