• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Blackburn 1 - Wolves 1 Verdict thread

Hard to categorise that for me. Dysfunctional best describes it I think.
A mixture of poor quality championship and lightweight continentals.
Batth has been crap every game I've seen. Never championship quality, would struggle in The Conference.
Doherty? OK a poor right back but at least he has a go going forward.
BJ here for the ride.
Hause needs an experienced man with him.
In short our defence is shocking.
Personally I thought Cody and Edwards did OK in centre midfield.
Saiss has been poor whenever ive seen him.
Costa flatters to deceive, might look good but end product amounts to virtually nothing. Bodvarssen piss poor. We've already seen the best of him.
Teix contributed very little of any worth.
MOM for me Dangerous Dave. Scored the goal and came closest to scoring twice. On top of doing his work in midfield, closing down and jockeying etc. Championship quality midfielder that's all.

Probably time for Dicko to get a start against Derby and give Bod a place on the pine.

Saiss, Coady & Edwards is not a forward looking trio though (& I am aware that the latter scored the equaliser & he needed that as had not significantly contributed anything else) - with Wallace a passenger (& why was he brought in from the cold after 2 months out) it left only Bod & Costa in their half.

You are not going to win games (even against Blackburn) playing that formation

Tex & Cavaleiro should have been on from the start - the Blackburn defence were not playing in their normal positions, but we gave them an easy game with no real pressure early on which might well have produced dividends

The defence need to pretty much all Fuck off.

I'd go Silvio - Iorfa - Stearman - CBJ next game. I'd drop CBJ too if I could think of anyone else to play.

Now going to watch proper football - Barcelona v Granada

Had enough of this semi pro level quality

Will give some thoughts on the game later. This is what I want to see next week.

Lonergan (if Ikeme not fit)

Silvio
Batth (due to lack of options)
Stearman (DB always seemed to play better with him)
CBJ

Saiss
Edwards

Costa
Teixiera
Cavaleiro

Dicko

When I think back to some of the players that we had in the mid to late nineties, that couldn't get us promoted. They would have walked into this team and we would have walked this league, and entertained as well BTW.

Missed the game as I was working.

What? Did we not destroy everything in front of us now that the guy picking the team is from Madeley instead of Milan?

Stearman almost certainly is not the the long term solution at CH but he is undoubtedly a far better player than either Batth or Hause. Hause may improve but I doubt Batth will so I’d put Hause alongside Stearman until we can bring at least one, and preferably two, CHs in January. A leader who can organise the fullbacks and their partner would make a huge difference.

First thing first, my apologies. I defended Jed Wallace before the game, but even allowing for 2 months out he looks like a good League One player and that's it.
Finishing from Edwards and Coady was very poor, the goal aside. three or four completely mishit shots.
Quite liked CBJ in second half - though there was some decent link up play going forward.
Obviously Batth should have been sent off. He's Rotherham standard isn't he? Fairly certain Hause would improve alongside someone else.

I was thinking about recruitment: £2m for Coady £3m for Mason (what's happened to him?) £1m for Gladon. Whoever sanctioned those deals should get him P45 on Monday.
There's a comment already that we may have seen the best of Bod - suspect that is right.
And clearly Cav - Tex - Costa need to start.

Saddest thing is that we were playing Blackburn, who probably won't go down but are no bloody good.

Stearman almost certainly is not the the long term solution at CH but he is undoubtedly a far better player than either Batth or Hause. Hause may improve but I doubt Batth will so I’d put Hause alongside Stearman until we can bring at least one, and preferably two, CHs in January. A leader who can organise the fullbacks and their partner would make a huge difference.

Any of them make Christophe Berra look good. I'm listening to the Smith's and drinking. Anybody got the number for the Samaritans?

Any of them make Christophe Berra look good. I'm listening to the Smith's and drinking. Anybody got the number for the Samaritans?

Agreed. Three times in the first half Hause fluffed simple things, Berra for all his faults was fairly solid, especially considering most of his games were against far better quality opponents.

Can't believe that we are bigging up Berra - he was an adequate CH in this league

Concerning if we have fallen below that level

If the next manager picks Edwards I reckon we all know the square root of fuck all

Ikeme – No chance with the goal, one rush of blood first half. Not a lot to do apart from that, fumbled a couple of times towards the end of the half but probably down to the injury. One good save from Marshall.

Doherty – Not good enough. Poor positionally, doesn’t close his man down or tackle particularly well. Put in a decent ball for Edwards goal. Silvio is a much better option.

Batth – Terrible today, extremely poor positionally, lucky to not have been sent off. At fault for Blackburn’s goal.

Hause – Looked ok bringing the ball out from the back. Shocker of a first half, think there was about 3 swipes at the ball attempting clearances with his left foot when he should have led with his right. Improved second half but couldn’t have gotten worse if he tried.

CBJ – Poor position for their goal, and caught out of position again a couple more times. Looks comfortable on the ball and grew into the game I thought.

Saiss – Off the boil, poor passing, slow to react to things. Disappointing.

Coady – Worked hard, couple of driving runs and got into the box well in the first half. Created very little however and needs to work on his finishing.

Edwards – Anonymous first half, another that grew into the game second half. Got into their box more as the game went on and got a few chances. Scored one but missed at least 2-3 other good chances.

Costa – Looked dangerous on the ball first half but little end product. Was quiet in the second half until the subs came on.

Wallace – Left-field selection after 2 months out and didn’t justify Edwards selection and faith in him. One decent ball into the box early on and offered nothing else all game. Would look to get him out on loan in January to get him some games as he shouldn’t be in our side.

Bodvarsson – Isolated all first half, worked hard and won some headers. Never any support for him though. Tired in the second half, and for me is not the answer up front.

Subs

Lonergan – Pretty solid, not really tested but dealt with everything well.

Teixiera – Looked a spark when he came on, injected some pace and intensity into the midfield. Good strike in lead up to goal.

Cavaleiro – Another one who changed the game when he came, decent hit that keeper saved well towards the end. Would love to see him get a run of games and see what he can do.

Can't believe that we are bigging up Berra - he was an adequate CH in this league

Concerning if we have fallen below that level

Never rated Berra but he was better than Batth.
Batth shouldn't play again. His heart might be in the right place, his feet, head and body aren't.
Willenhall is about his level.

Mason is out injured for about 3 weeks

Back