• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Board Game recommendations

How on earth do you play The Thing as a board game? Because I really want it.

Up to 8 players, 1 is randomly chosen to be the Thing, all of the other players have to work together to escape from the base, while the player who is the Thing can secretly infect other players to get their help and to win the game. The Thing wins if it infects all the other players or escapes with surviving humans. The humans win if they escape without the Thing, but only if no humans are left behind. You can escape by repairing the base helicopter, the snowcat, or calling in a rescue helicopter. But you can run out of time too.

Sounds a bit mad, but various mechanics in the game have you constantly suspicious of other players, as anytime 2 players are in the same location there is the possibility of being infected. Loads of other stuff can happen to complicate matters, like running out of fuel for the generator, carrying out tests on players to see if they are infected etc etc. Reviews have been pretty darned good. We haven't played it yet, we only got it last week and want to wait until we have a minimum of 6 players.

I’m getting it.
Be aware there is another game called The Thing: Outbreak at Outpost 31 which isn't meant to be as good. Box art looks different though so just look for the one I've pictured.

Up to 8 players, 1 is randomly chosen to be the Thing, all of the other players have to work together to escape from the base, while the player who is the Thing can secretly infect other players to get their help and to win the game. The Thing wins if it infects all the other players or escapes with surviving humans. The humans win if they escape without the Thing, but only if no humans are left behind. You can escape by repairing the base helicopter, the snowcat, or calling in a rescue helicopter. But you can run out of time too.

Sounds a bit mad, but various mechanics in the game have you constantly suspicious of other players, as anytime 2 players are in the same location there is the possibility of being infected. Loads of other stuff can happen to complicate matters, like running out of fuel for the generator, carrying out tests on players to see if they are infected etc etc. Reviews have been pretty darned good. We haven't played it yet, we only got it last week and want to wait until we have a minimum of 6 players.
Sounds like someone played Betrayal at House on the Hill and thought "what if we made one game out of the back half of this game, just with one really really good scenario?"

Of course, in BHH everyone knows who the traitor is at a certain point, even if they don't know the exact mechanics of what the traitor can get up to once the wheels have fallen off. Having the suspense of "I know it's someone" the whole time is probably a very fun added dimension.

Sounds like someone played Betrayal at House on the Hill and thought "what if we made one game out of the back half of this game, just with one really really good scenario?"

Of course, in BHH everyone knows who the traitor is at a certain point, even if they don't know the exact mechanics of what the traitor can get up to once the wheels have fallen off. Having the suspense of "I know it's someone" the whole time is probably a very fun added dimension.
It really captures the feeling of paranoia that made the film so great I think.

Be aware there is another game called The Thing: Outbreak at Outpost 31 which isn't meant to be as good. Box art looks different though so just look for the one I've pictured.
That’s the only one they have on Amazon at £60. Time to get hunting.

Here you go, doesn't look like Zatu have it in stock, but these guys do.

7 Wonders Duel. Another great little strategy game for 2 players that gets the old grey matter working. In simple terms, you use cards to build a city and construct Ancient Wonders, collecting victory points as you go. Much, much more to it than that, but that is the basic premise. For a quick 45-60 minute brain exerciser its well worth the £18.

Seems like someone has found the unique One Ring card for Magic the Gathering Lord of the Rings. Its only worth $2m...

• Wow
Reactions: b3h
When your Sunday in the sun game and brew are in perfect synchronicity...20230709_183321.jpg

Reactions: b3h
2 new board game recommendations for anyone thinking of something for Christmas (though really, if you are getting a Christmas game you need to make it Strong Point 😂).

First is Cascadia:

Screenshot_20230915_095406_Google.jpg
This is a beautiful dual-layer strategy game where the aim is to create the most harmonious ecosystem by laying habitat tiles and drafting animals to populate the habitat in the most effective way. Brilliant, gorgeous and very strategic/thinky.

The 2nd is Alien: Fate of the Nostromo.

Screenshot_20230915_095544_Google.jpg
This is a 1-4 player co-op game, where you work together to complete objectives and avoid contact with the Alien before running out of time and resources. Great game for fans of the film and if you fancy a game that isn't competitive.

Both of these are great, Cascadia though might be my new favourite to play at the moment. The double layer of strategic thinking is both simple in concept and complex in achieving success. The need to completely pivot your strategy and thinking on the fly is what gives it a level of longevity. This is a game I'll play a lot for years I reckon.

Widely regarded as the best board game to come out in the last 12 months, joined my collection today (I can call it research these days 😂):

Screenshot_20231124_172130_Gallery.jpg

Any recommendations for family games that an 8 year old & 11 year old would enjoy? We seem to have exhausted our board game collection and I could do with trying to get my kids away from their screens...

Any recommendations for family games that an 8 year old & 11 year old would enjoy? We seem to have exhausted our board game collection and I could do with trying to get my kids away from their screens...
Exploding kittens as a card game, you can all play it.

Ticket to ride is good as is Game of Life.

Cards Against Humanity.

See how sick minded they are.

I had a deep-seated hatred of the overly wholesome family in the 80s/90s adverts for Game of Life.

Exploding kittens as a card game, you can all play it.

Ticket to ride is good as is Game of Life.
We've got Exploding Kittens but never play it - I'm not sure I understand it :LOL:

Game of Life is a favourite of ours and I've always thought Ticket To Ride looked good. May have to get that one for Christmas.

Back