• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Board Game recommendations

We've got Exploding Kittens but never play it - I'm not sure I understand it :LOL:

Game of Life is a favourite of ours and I've always thought Ticket To Ride looked good. May have to get that one for Christmas.
Exploding kittens is ace. Dead easy and my kids play it.

It's good as adults if you play it as a drinking game (not with the kids obvs)

We like ticket to ride, just good fun.

Exploding kittens is ace. Dead easy and my kids play it.

It's good as adults if you play it as a drinking game (not with the kids obvs)

We like ticket to ride, just good fun.
Ticket to Ride is a great game.

Any recommendations for family games that an 8 year old & 11 year old would enjoy? We seem to have exhausted our board game collection and I could do with trying to get my kids away from their screens...
Depends, I guess, I think Azul is a good puzzle type of game that I think younger kids could easily play, but whether it's the kind of game they'd enjoy I don't know, obviously. It is a great game. I'll have a ponder on more suggestions.

If you like Ticket to Ride I'd definitely say Cascadia is one you'd enjoy. Not the same theme wise, but definitely got a strategy to it that makes it one of the best games out there IMO.

If they like Harry Potter, then I'd definitely say Hogwart's Battle. It's a co-operative game, so makes learning a new game easier as you're helping each other to defeat the game essentially. It says 11+, but I know for sure younger kids love it.

Just remembered a couple of other decent family board games that might be alright for younger ones: Trekking the World and Trekking through History. I haven't played History but Trekking the World is a fun game with a little bit of strategy and planning needed.

I can thoroughly recommend Articulate. Very simple and great fun. You have to describe words without using the word against the clock. Best with six or more players and alcohol!

I've just ordered Ticket to Ride Berlin for my other half, partly because she loved the city when we visited. It is also supposed to be a really good version for new players and for youngsters to jump into, and once you've understood the mechanics games can be quick, 15-30 minutes.

We played the Jaws board game for the first time in a long time last night, it is a great hidden movement game. Its a lot of fun playing as the shark and trying to avoid being detected while you eat as many swimmers as you can!

Going to my mates for a nerd night tomorrow and taking it too :). I'll have to do a review as well

Not really a board game but at my daughters yesterday we played 'cards against humanity'
Lots of versions of it but we played the family friendly version with our 8 year old granddaughter.
It's really quick and easy to learn, fast paced and hilarious.

What games got played over the holiday period? Anyone get anything new that they liked?

I really dislike games when everyone sits around a table pretending to have fun. (Grumpy Old Man).
But my daughter persuaded me to play a few games of Articulate this Christmas with family and I really enjoyed it.
Very simple rules. Very enjoyable. I was useless.

What games got played over the holiday period? Anyone get anything new that they liked?
We were given a really interesting game, but you need the internet and a mobile phone to play it!
Called 'OUTSMARTED!'
You get 6 little characters and use a dice to move around the board, but the questions appear on your phone once you download the app, which has really cool graphics and the questions are bang up to date On the day we played it (Sunday) a question was asked about an event that only happened the previous Friday!!
Objective is to race around the board collecting the most keys.
Only played it once but it seemed really good fun.

Played that game before. It was ok but the tech a little (well a lot) glitchy which ruined what should have been a decent game

Played that game before. It was ok but the tech a little (well a lot) glitchy which ruined what should have been a decent game
Oh! I thought it was a new game. Never seen it or heard of it before.
So I just checked and the Copywrite is 2022. So maybe we got an upgraded version, but everything worked impressively smoothly.

I really dislike games when everyone sits around a table pretending to have fun. (Grumpy Old Man).
But my daughter persuaded me to play a few games of Articulate this Christmas with family and I really enjoyed it.
Very simple rules. Very enjoyable. I was useless.
Ditto.:(

Back