• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boro (A) 4/3/16 build up

had that free kick been taken with just Martin v Ikeme, would he have scored - No.
i wonder sometimes that these walls cause more problems than they prevent.

Wtaching that free kick again, does the ball actually go through the gap left by the Derby player in the wall? Watch again it again closely. Im not sure it actually goes over the wall. You see the Derby guy line up in the wall and then duck out of it as Martin plays it through the space.

Either way Ikeme is shocking for the goal, wathcing him set up, the lads in the wall didn't know what he wanted, whether it was 3 or 4 in the wall. Once the kick is taken he jumps like a brick, he gets no spring at all.

Hmmmm, looks like it goes between the two of them actually

YpDwtLB.jpg

There was an angle shown on the box which was much nearer ground level from the touchline slightly left of directly behind Martin (probably by the dugouts) that suggested it was nearer to Iorfa than Siggy and about a foot above their heads. In your still I don't think the ball has quite arrived at the wall in that frame. Hard to tell exactly though.

However, your still shows something interesting. All of Ikeme's weight is on his left foot, which makes it more difficult for him to get over and cover. That may be because he is in the process of pushing off that foot to get there though.

It definitely went over Iorfa's head. Sky showed several replays from different angles.

I've highlighted in black where I think he should be positioned, red lines indicate the area he can reach from that starting point. And yes, I am bored at work.

IuxC6E9.jpg

That would put him in the right hand side of the goal, which is not where you stand when you have a wall covering that side.

I've highlighted in black where I think he should be positioned, red lines indicate the area he can reach from that starting point. And yes, I am bored at work.

IuxC6E9.jpg

I agree with that, it gives him the opportunity of reaching a ball going in near the top corner Martin was aiming for, as it was as long as Martin gets his execution right he scores.

I agree with that, it gives him the opportunity of reaching a ball going in near the top corner Martin was aiming for, as it was as long as Martin gets his execution right he scores.

Didn't even have to get it that right as we found out, lobbed a fairly tame effort into the massive gap and it was game over for Ikeme.

That would put him in the right hand side of the goal, which is not where you stand when you have a wall covering that side.

No it wouldn't. At all. It would put him a tiny bit left of centre if anything, rather than too far left as he clearly was.

rather than too far left as he clearly was.

Ikeme is actually Corbyn then.

His positioning is not the problem on the goal. Its his reactions to it, not helped by the wall not moving an inch, but he reacts way way to late which means he is taking a step to late and totally screws himself with that

With the entire wall not jumping, surely it's a preplanned decision to stay rooted - perhaps to give Ikeme a better view?? LOLZ

It looks in the picture like I said to DDW that his weight and momentum is on his left side, and that appears to have made his task all the more difficult. The wall did screw him over as well. Someone should have been taking that free kick on the nose.

With the entire wall not jumping, surely it's a preplanned decision to stay rooted - perhaps to give Ikeme a better view?? LOLZ

Nah, thats just a defender being asleep

I like how Coady (I think) is jumping despite not being close to where the ball is going.

IuxC6E9.jpg

His feet are too far apart. They should be shoulder width apart to allow for maximum spring.

His feet are too far apart. They should be shoulder width apart to allow for maximum spring.

Thats because he is taking a step back to his right. The right movement but done too late, by the time he is ready to dive it's too late

Back