• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bournemouth build up

van la "i'm a bit shit" Parra was having his best game of the season and giving them no end of problems. Davey "shouldn't play in the middle of a 4-4-2" Edwards was having a great game sitting deep and protecting the back 4. Matt "why is he in the team" Doherty was doing a sterling job at left back.

:icon_lol:

This made me loff.

So, playing devil's advocate, how come Cardiff were the better team with 10 men which is apparently fine, but it was ok for us to struggle with 10 men against Bournemouth?

So, playing devil's advocate, how come Cardiff were the better team with 10 men which is apparently fine, but it was ok for us to struggle with 10 men against Bournemouth?

Happens doesn't it, no real explanation for it. Loads of examples were the 10 men have gone onto win and load of examples where the 11 men have taken the 10 to pieces.

Cardiff were chasing the game, we were trying to hold on to one in a naive everyone retreat to the 18 yd line and hope for the best kind of way

I think that we invite pressure, especially when we are in front and look to hit teams on the counter. That goes even more belly up if we lose a man like in the Bournemouth and Brentford games. We play quite deep and when that space is taken away, like in the Derby game or when we are a man down we resort to hoof it up the field and hope. The pressure then comes straight back onto us.

Well, they were different situations I guess.

Against Bournemouth we were one nil up, at a point where confidence was extremely low, desperate to pick up a much needed win against at the time, the best team in the division and free scoring at that. They had already had more possession, and that was only going to increase.

Against Cardiff, they are a very direct team (had only lost once in nine before the game I think too) their game plan didn't really change in fact they put on an extra tall forward player. Our style in recent weeks has been too hit teams on the break with the pace we have. It didn't quite work like that though and we should have put an extra midfielder on to try and keep hold of the ball better. Afobe should have made it two nil and made all this irrelevant anyway

Different mindsets, Wolves are set up to break against their opponents, Bournemouth are set up to dominate opponents. You wouldn't be surprised to hear commentators say Wolves haven't had a kick tonight because the aim will be to remain compact then break effectively when possible.
Thats what p.sses you off with Radio commentary it often paints the wrong picture of events and often doesn't focus on each teams objectives.

Take the first few lines from this for Callum Wilsons pre match pep talk. Jackett praises what Afobe can do and then mentions that Wilson is a good player but the B&S have put their own spin on the headline and then mentioned his four game goal drought.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...kett-benik-afobe-has-more-than-callum-wilson/
Hardly surprising but that is truly atrocious journalism from the B&S.

Where on earth does Jackett hint that Afobe 'has more than Wilson'?. By that measure, can we take it to mean that Jackett thinks Afobe is better than Edin Dzeko, who isn't renowned for running with the ball?

That'll be up on the dressing room wall for Bournemouth and you can bet Wilson will be up for it now. Thanks twatty journos (although sometimes it's their editors who come up with the headlines)

Got delayed at work so no time to be able to meet up with Penk etc. but will be able to get there in good time for the match.

Can't wait for this to start - just hope we come out firing on all cylinders from the first whistle

Just about to get the train from Southampton, really looking forward to this!

Got a bottle of Wychwood King Goblin sitting in the kitchen that I may crack open if we secure three points tonight.

Got a nice bottle of Shiraz which I will pop open for following the fortunes of the mighty Wanderers on SSN tonight. Nervous about the game as Bournemouth are a good outfit, but with a fair wind to our sails we can nick this.

Back