• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boxing thread

Ruiz shouldn’t have took that in the 3rd. But after he did and then knocked down AJ there was always an upset on the cards

The halo had already started to slip a little after all the fuss over facing Wilder then Fury sorts it in seconds and beats the pillock. Joshua had no business facing Ruiz in the first place - make the fights the public want to see. People mention Lewis Rahman this morning but that was a one punch KO that happens - Joshua had the shit beaten out of him last night.

Better fighter 100%. Quicker, better chin and better technique.

Still, the punch he took after he got knocked down in the 3rd and stayed on his feet. Turning point. Ruiz then responded with the 2 knockdowns and it was won there but the ref let AJ off.

Ruiz then took his time and dismantled.

Rematch at Wembley September time I’d imagine.

Rematch at Wembley September time I’d imagine.

That’s what Hearn was angling for after the fight last night. What a terrible nights work for AJ. Completely outboxed and so, so flat. Got what he deserved.

If you’d put just 10p on each round for Ruiz to win by TKO, you’d have spent £1.20, but would have been £20 better off this morning :icon_lol:

Poor from AJ last night, I certainly expected him to deal with Ruiz, not sure where he goes next.

Ruiz will have a rematch in the contract but it would be for buttons compared to a shot at Wilder.

That’s what Hearn was angling for after the fight last night. What a terrible nights work for AJ. Completely outboxed and so, so flat. Got what he deserved.

If you’d put just 10p on each round for Ruiz to win by TKO, you’d have spent £1.20, but would have been £20 better off this morning :icon_lol:

If I was Fury now, I’d be angling to hijack the deal as I’d imagine there would be no rematch clause in the contract (well for butterbean at least)

They’ve already said there will be a rematch end of the year as it’s in the contract (plus both fighters have said yes to it post fight).

Now as far as I know, these contracts actually mean something so Ruiz has to take the rematch and Joshua isn’t going to take anything else.

They do mean something but if Ruiz has the chance to make a serious amount more money out of a fight with wilder (and remember this may be a once in a career chance) I would expect that the contract with AJ wouldn't be honoured or loopholes would be investigated etc.

Of course it will be AJ who will be desperate for the rematch much more than Ruiz at this point

They’ve already said there will be a rematch end of the year as it’s in the contract (plus both fighters have said yes to it post fight).

Now as far as I know, these contracts actually mean something so Ruiz has to take the rematch and Joshua isn’t going to take anything else.

Okay thanks for that, well no matter what now this will be Ruiz’s biggest payday when the rematch takes place

I can guarantee there will not be a rematch loophole when it comes to it being in Joshua's favour. Hearn will make sure it's copper bottomed solid.

That may be, but when moneys involved people will look at anything and everything to do whatever favours them.

Consider this, get 8m or whatever hes signed up to for the rematch or get a potential 50m payday with Wilder (a unified US heavyweight champion would be massive, and Wilders best chance) Contracts are after all only as good as long as both parties are happy in what they are getting.

AJ will be much more desperate for the rematch to take place, so Ruiz will (if he is advised correctly) have a better negotiating position to change the terms of the deal or even to rescind it. I'm not saying it wont go ahead, just that things wont be as straight forward as you may expect

The contract might only be worth 8m, but the damages due for breach will be way way more than that. Ruiz has no choice.

Except that money isn't out there for the Wilder fight even as a unification bout, it's not worth that in total let alone per boxer.

He'll get a bigger % cut for the second fight anyway because you can be pretty sure the deal will be guaranteed rematch in the case of a victory, but with a larger share of the purse. As I said Hearn will have that written in blood and he'll be sued for millions if he breaks it.

Last edited:
The contract might only be worth 8m, but the damages due for breach will be way way more than that. Ruiz has no choice.

Damages, you do realise that contracts cant contain punitive clauses, all damages must be demonstrable. There is also the small matter that presupposes AJ winning the rematch, certainly not a foregone conclusion.

As I said it will probably still go ahead but surely the money men will be looking at the possibility of where this can go. At the very least Ruizs terms will be renegotiated I should imagine, he would be being very poorly advised if his team weren't looking at the possibilities.

Damages, you do realise that contracts cant contain punitive clauses, all damages must be demonstrable. There is also the small matter that presupposes AJ winning the rematch, certainly not a foregone conclusion.

As I said it will probably still go ahead but surely the money men will be looking at the possibility of where this can go. At the very least Ruizs terms will be renegotiated I should imagine, he would be being very poorly advised if his team weren't looking at the possibilities.
Yes I do thanks.

Fair play to AJ. He must be gutted, but has taken it on the chin( no pun intended) and with great sportsmanship. A beacon to some of the other so called sportsmen who trash talk.

Joshua vs Ruiz the most pirated boxing event since muso started tracking pirated streams in 2017

Back