• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boxing thread

I wish the ref would have waited, but hey Froch, Groves and sky TV are the winners here as it leaves the doubt around the fight to all but guarantee a rematch. As for Jim Watt considering this was Froch's 11th straight title fight I thought his commentary showed a complete lack of respect to Froch. I'm happy he won.

Jim Watt does talk absolute nonsense but Groves was well in front, he was the one landing the clean shots up until the last round. Boxing continues to kill itself with the decisions, Groves was hurt but he was still throwing punches back and you could tell he was still there as when the referee grabbed him he knew what had happened straight away. Shocking decision and Froch has made himself look a fool after the fight although in saying all that it was a great fight for British boxing but in the grand scheme of things neither of them is near Andre Ward.

in the grand scheme of things neither of them is near Andre Ward.

True, it's like the Benn v Eubank fights, neither were the best in the world when they fought, they were just high profile here in the UK. Groves would probably be better refusing a rematch, it could go either way again.

Of course neither is near Ward. Ward is the #2 P4P fighter in the world behind Mayweather.

In a way I feel sorry for both.

Groves technically took Froch to bits, made him look a mug at times. He dropped him which doesn't happen often at all with Carl and was definitely winning by a lot wider margin than the judges had it (1 point)

I'm not sure what Froch has done to Jim Watt though because the commentary was the most one sided biased shit i've heard in a long time, even when Froch was getting into the fight later on he refused to give him any credit.

People will be calling for the re-match, although Steiglitz is another option for Groves to get his hands on a world title and I think Groves would definitely win that fight.

One of those nights for Groves. Lost the fight but he's won a lot of fans tonight and at 25 and a big future ahead it may turn out a good night for him in the long term.

I had GG up by one as Froch was still hurting him. Close rounds mind.

Jim Watt is a prick and always will be

Saying they are nowhere near Ward? Why is this relevant? Wolves are nowhere near Man Utd? Big deal.

Enjoy the fact we have two of the world's best at 168

Groves gave Froch a technical lesson, the ref had a nightmare. Bring on the rematch.

Groves always marks up in all his fights he's got pale skin and he's ginger. Have you seen Froch's face?

Groves made froch look a mug technically.

I feel Groves surprised Froch but make him look a mug takes it too far. Ward did that.

Froch's face isn't half as bad as Groves and I also feel Froch was about to stop him too

I thought Jim Watt called it as it was. Froch looked all over the place early on and in my opinion massively underestimated Groves. He was on the back foot and was only pawing his jab, with Groves setting him up for the right at will. Groves needed to get it done early though, because you knew the longer it went on, the stronger Froch would become.
Cracking fight that was finished too early, better that way though than too late.

The more I see it the more I think the referee was right, albeit a couple of seconds too early.

Kid Galahad very impressive tonight (albeit against an outclassed opponent). Can't be far off a world title challenge.

Groves for me, has beaten Froch mentally once and will do so again.

Froch for me too.

I listened to a FiveLive special on Monday evening about the fight and Froch admitted that he allowed Groves to get under his skin before the first fight. He also hinted that his preparation wasn't the best. If he's true to his word and everything has gone swimmingly well in the build up to this one, including a sports psychologist getting his head right then I can only see one winner.

Monetary wise it was always in the best interest of the two for a rematch but career wise for Groves it may not have been the best decision.

Froch for me too.

I listened to a FiveLive special on Monday evening about the fight and Froch admitted that he allowed Groves to get under his skin before the first fight. He also hinted that his preparation wasn't the best. If he's true to his word and everything has gone swimmingly well in the build up to this one, including a sports psychologist getting his head right then I can only see one winner.

Monetary wise it was always in the best interest of the two for a rematch but career wise for Groves it may not have been the best decision.

Agreed. I don't think Froch gave him enough respect last time but won't make the same mistake twice. Groves was stopped too early last time for sure but he'd run out of steam by round 7 and I think a knockdown was only a matter of time.

Froch hopefully by KO just so I can hear Jim Watt crying into his microphone again.

Froch for me, Groves has worn my patience thin. All that shite about Froch being mentally weak because he's seeing a psychologist shows him up to be a dunderheaded thundercunt.

Going into the first fight, I would have been strongly behind Froch - given the farcical decision and Froch being graceless, I'm firmly on the fence for this one, and hoping for a real tear-up.

Back