• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford (A) 29/10/22 - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the statement by Collins afterwards . At his very young age it could have been argued that he had no need to talk to the media , and even if he did he could easily have taken the route of saying the same old things that modern day footballers tend to say .
Instead he went for the jugular - he was ashamed , that it was a shambles etc . It could clearly be interpreted as a go at both the present Management , the players and the club - and yet it didn't stop him .
I liked that - there's a captain there . Definitely a leader .
Agreed, he doesn't do any of it on the pitch though. You could argue it's not his role which is fair enough, but nobody does. Both he and Kilman would benefit from playing alongside a more vocal player

Collins was generally very good at the start but was poor on the Haaland goal and then got himself sent off and banned for a month, wasn't great on Palace's winner and was shocking on two of Leicester's goals.

His positioning is a bit Stearman for me at times, he's not been helped by Kilman being very poor next to him.

Agreed, he doesn't do any of it on the pitch though. You could argue it's not his role which is fair enough, but nobody does. Both he and Kilman would benefit from playing alongside a more vocal player
And more experienced player.

I liked the statement by Collins afterwards . At his very young age it could have been argued that he had no need to talk to the media , and even if he did he could easily have taken the route of saying the same old things that modern day footballers tend to say .
Instead he went for the jugular - he was ashamed , that it was a shambles etc . It could clearly be interpreted as a go at both the present Management , the players and the club - and yet it didn't stop him .
I liked that - there's a captain there . Definitely a leader .
He's right to be ashamed, he's been rubbish since he arrived. Poor defensively, including a ridiculous challenge costing him a three game ban.
Nothing to do with the management, other players or club, all down to him.

In PL terms, it's probably the most inexperienced centreback partnership in the league, so there's inevitably going to be mistakes from them. They're not helped by the fullbacks basically living out of position and then (esp Jonny and Semedo) tracking back about as quickly as I used to.

Max Kilman has started nearly 50 Premier League games and will be 26 by the end of the season, I don't think we can keep calling him inexperienced.

.......................... Sa

Semedo - Collins - Kilman - Bueno

.................Nunes - Neves

........Traore - Podence - Guedes

........................Costa

Stop playing Nunes higher up the pitch for starters. He looks lost up there. And Guedes needs to start paying back his transfer fee with a few good performances. He can even move up front when Costa naturally has to come off (for Campbell). That's where he scored his goals for Valencia isn't it?

Definitely agree with that . Max might be mid twenties , but he only began getting a guaranteed spot last season - so in that sense he's lacking PL experience , especially in a team who are constantly under pressure these days .

Guedes played either on the left of a front three or as a second striker such as in a game I randomly picked from last season:

He is not suitable at all to play where Costa currently plays/plays pantomime. Got absolutely none of the required attributes. We've already tried it and it looks awful.

Also his goalscoring last season is a massive career outlier. He is fucking shit, I'd rather play Hwang.

He's right to be ashamed, he's been rubbish since he arrived. Poor defensively, including a ridiculous challenge costing him a three game ban.
Nothing to do with the management, other players or club, all down to him.
Show me a player that has performed well this season . They are all below par .

That's what you tend to get in a team that drifts down the table ( not that we were ever too high up ) . All players lack confidence , there are no clear leaders , we're conceding too many goals to poor play , we simply cannot score despite having plenty of possession .
All of the above leads to a huge unease amongst the squad , especially players who are not used to relegation battles ( most of them ) .

Last edited:
Collins was generally very good at the start but was poor on the Haaland goal and then got himself sent off and banned for a month, wasn't great on Palace's winner and was shocking on two of Leicester's goals.

His positioning is a bit Stearman for me at times, he's not been helped by Kilman being very poor next to him.
Agreed. I'm far from convinced by him at the moment. He seems to have a couple of clangers per game, he seems slow and lethargic on the ball. When he signed, I had visions of him being this ball playing centre back that would stride out of defence and then play it in to the attacking players feet, but he seems more likely to fall over the ball by getting it caught under his feet in an attempt to knock it back to Sa. As you say, his positioning is all over the place, he's cost us goals and he's got himself banned for a month too.

It's all very well him coming out and saying stuff, but I'll have performances on the pitch over that instead, cheers Nathan.

.......................... Sa

Semedo - Collins - Kilman - Bueno

.................Nunes - Neves

........Traore - Podence - Guedes

........................Costa

Stop playing Nunes higher up the pitch for starters. He looks lost up there. And Guedes needs to start paying back his transfer fee with a few good performances. He can even move up front when Costa naturally has to come off (for Campbell). That's where he scored his goals for Valencia isn't it?
Yep, that’s the team to me. Most importantly it’s playing nunes in his bloody natural position!

Struggling with the grief Costa is getting tbh.

Admittedly wasn’t there Sunday and only got round to watching MOTD last night. (Normally I’d watch the extended highlights on Sky but I’m not going to for 0-4). But he had a few chances where he’s got the opportunity from good movement and got a shot away on target. With a bit of luck he would have got a couple of goals if not for a few last ditch blocks. That’s certainly better than we’ve had at any other point this year from anyone else.

Costa back training and they "hope he'll be ok".

Toti is in light training but not available for this one.

Struggling with the grief Costa is getting tbh.

Admittedly wasn’t there Sunday and only got round to watching MOTD last night. (Normally I’d watch the extended highlights on Sky but I’m not going to for 0-4). But he had a few chances where he’s got the opportunity from good movement and got a shot away on target. With a bit of luck he would have got a couple of goals if not for a few last ditch blocks. That’s certainly better than we’ve had at any other point this year from anyone else.

His mind is there but his body isn't is the fairest appraisal I think.

Hes not some mercernary topping up his retirement he's vocal, demanding more from others and tries to make things happen but he should be coming on after 70 minutes rather than playing 70 minutes. His presence is just another in a long line of damning indictments of our recruitment policy.

His mind is there but his body isn't is the fairest appraisal I think.

Hes not some mercernary topping up his retirement he's vocal, demanding more from others and tries to make things happen but he should be coming on after 70 minutes rather than playing 70 minutes. His presence is just another in a long line of damning indictments of our recruitment policy.
Yeah, I think he'd be quite useful in the last half an of hour games as a sub. Such is the situation we've got ourselves in we kinda have to run him into the ground for now. I'd start him on the bench for this one but then again Hwang is the next option to play as the striker..

Well that’s a pretty tragic situation we find ourselves in. Anything good we did pretty much involved him so doesn’t say a lot about the rest of them.

Defence and midfield were all rubbish. Neves didn’t cover himself on glory but he gets away with it

Yeah, I think he'd be quite useful in the last half an of hour games as a sub. Such is the situation we've got ourselves in we kinda have to run him into the ground for now. I'd start him on the bench for this one but then again Hwang is the next option to play as the striker..
I'd have Hwang in from the start. Potentially because he hasn't featured much recently so I may have forgotten how bad he is, but also because he can actually run so could actually stretch their defence. As others have said, Costa would be a useful addition for the final half hour or so.

I'd have Hwang in from the start. Potentially because he hasn't featured much recently so I may have forgotten how bad he is, but also because he can actually run so could actually stretch their defence. As others have said, Costa would be a useful addition for the final half hour or so.
I agree with this. (What a sorry state of affairs at our club).

Starting Hwang and bringing on Costa later on , might not be our preferred option , but we are where we are and we simply have to make the best of it .
At this point all options must be tried and not simply dismissed on the basis of someone's opinion ( i.e such and such a player is not ready ) .
You can be choosy when things are going well - why change a winning team etc etc . However right now we can't afford to be choosy , all options must be explored .
Switch Hwang and Costa , give Mosquera a run , try 5 at the back , give Ronan a shot at it , and so on and on . What harm can it do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back