• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brexit and Nouha Dicko

He can apply for a UK passport, so no. Also, nothing will change short term. Also, I expect those living here now won't be deported.

If - and this is way off in the future, so anything written now is entirely speculative - we end up working out our divorce from the EU in such a way that we don't grant any concessions of freedom of movement whatsoever (which I would think is unlikely, but as I say that is my speculative opinion rather than anything concrete), then the biggest possible sea change for football would be that the rules applying to work permits that are in place currently for non-EU players would be extended to all players without a UK passport. So they'd need to play for a team in FIFA's top 70 (I think) and have played 75% of the games for the national team over the last two years, subject to availability with special circumstances sometimes applying. But this would be unlikely to apply to any players currently playing in Britain or who have been here for a significant length of time, as Nouha has.

At present the FA cannot introduce their own laws saying that a certain percentage of the squad must be English/British qualified because it contravenes EU law. That might well change in the next 4-5 years depending on the political landscape. So there is the possibility that in say, 2020, there are rules in the Football League that say you must have, for example, a minimum of 15 British players in the matchday squad. There is the possibility that clubs will no longer be able to sign relative journeymen from Europe as they won't be granted a work permit. But that's all a long way off and anything could happen.

I doubt anything will happen in the Premier League, they cannot peg themselves as one of the top leagues in Europe if they have strict restrictions on the number of foreign nationals, because it just means they'll get hoovered up by clubs in Spain/Germany/Italy instead and our teams' performance in European competition will inevitably suffer in comparison.

Why would this be an issue? And why Nouha specifically? I am quite confused.

If - and this is way off in the future, so anything written now is entirely speculative - we end up working out our divorce from the EU in such a way that we don't grant any concessions of freedom of movement whatsoever (which I would think is unlikely, but as I say that is my speculative opinion rather than anything concrete), then the biggest possible sea change for football would be that the rules applying to work permits that are in place currently for non-EU players would be extended to all players without a UK passport. So they'd need to play for a team in FIFA's top 70 (I think) and have played 75% of the games for the national team over the last two years, subject to availability with special circumstances sometimes applying. But this would be unlikely to apply to any players currently playing in Britain or who have been here for a significant length of time, as Nouha has.

At present the FA cannot introduce their own laws saying that a certain percentage of the squad must be English/British qualified because it contravenes EU law. That might well change in the next 4-5 years depending on the political landscape. So there is the possibility that in say, 2020, there are rules in the Football League that say you must have, for example, a minimum of 15 British players in the matchday squad. There is the possibility that clubs will no longer be able to sign relative journeymen from Europe as they won't be granted a work permit. But that's all a long way off and anything could happen.

I doubt anything will happen in the Premier League, they cannot peg themselves as one of the top leagues in Europe if they have strict restrictions on the number of foreign nationals, because it just means they'll get hoovered up by clubs in Spain/Germany/Italy instead and our teams' performance in European competition will inevitably suffer in comparison.

My manager at work yesterday was reading one of the German football sites that were covering this. Over 100 players in the PL would become ineligable, over 350 in the top two divisions of England and Scotland.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...brexit-spieler-verlust-arbeits-erlaubnis.html

On a positive note it gives a mandate for academies like ours to bring on home grown UK players. Given so much bleating about how few british players play for the top teams it may help to increase those numbers within 4 years.
In the 70's/80's Scottish players were a vital part of the top teams. That had declined dramatically. Law Souness Hansen Dalglish Robertson and Burns at Forest, all helped title winning teams in their career in England. Perhaps this could be a desirable bi product of brexit? A return to great home grown players would help national teams too.

Why would this be an issue? And why Nouha specifically? I am quite confused.

Because he's French and therefore European. Nouha actually tweeted about this a few days ago.

It's not really an issue for the reasons Deustch has put, i.e. He has played/been employed in the uk for so long that he will probably qualify for a work permit when these rules are brought in and we fully exit the EU.

My manager at work yesterday was reading one of the German football sites that were covering this. Over 100 players in the PL would become ineligable, over 350 in the top two divisions of England and Scotland.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...brexit-spieler-verlust-arbeits-erlaubnis.html

I saw that too, or at least a precis of it on a sports news channel. I thought they were making more of it than was there, stating that means the Premier League will lose its status as Europe's best league. As for Dicko, freedom to remain would presumably only apply until the end of his current contract, if freedom of movement didn't continue, in the same way that work permits are tied to contracts.

Thought we had signed somebody to play up front with Nouha then for a moment..

Yes, we were told he could be a world beater, then once we'd signed him discovered he'd never played the game.

Back