• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 2-2 Wolves

Did you expect any different given their ages? Not defending their actions, they must know it's wrong but they are of a generational where being gay is an insult. Not right but then attitudes are hard to change sometimes.

I can recall playing Brighton when we were in the Championship (probably less than five years ago) and loud chants from the South Bank of both the "boyfriend" chant, immediately followed by "we can see you holding hands". so its hardly surprising there's still a few idiots about.

2 of our fans nicked for homophobic abuse.

Good. There was a small bit of that where I was.
Sadly by me on the right too. “We can see you holding hands”. Probably late twenties possibly thirties. Embarrassing

Did you expect any different given their ages? Not defending their actions, they must know it's wrong but they are of a generational where being gay is an insult. Not right but then attitudes are hard to change sometimes.

When’s the cut off? Regardless of age surely you know it’s wrong and it’s not even funny.

Good to hear those homophobic knuckle-draggers are getting the book thrown at them, but let's be honest- these are just the ones that got caught.

Don't give a toss. Fuck them both.

I can recall playing Brighton when we were in the Championship (probably less than five years ago) and loud chants from the South Bank of both the "boyfriend" chant, immediately followed by "we can see you holding hands". so its hardly surprising there's still a few idiots about.

“Sheep shaggers” and “you’ll never work again” were both sang loudly in this calendar year against Cardiff, Liverpool and Everton.

I don’t go and watch any other team but I don’t tend to hear it on the TV. We’ve got to be one of the worst for this kind of stuff.

They drown out the offensive songs on TV which is why you don't hear them. Plenty of offensive stuff heard at other grounds.

Sadly by me on the right too. “We can see you holding hands”. Probably late twenties possibly thirties. Embarrassing

When’s the cut off? Regardless of age surely you know it’s wrong and it’s not even funny.

Some people don't have your morality Punts and they don't see it as wrong and they do see it as funny. The majority don't which is a good thing and on the age thing, it was prevalent at my school along with racism and most other things. It was the 80's, not an excuse just how it was.

These two clearly haven't grown out of that era and they won't be alone in that. Doesn't make it right.

I think sometimes we do live in a bit of a bubble where we only talk to broadly like-minded individuals on or offline (like, why would you be friends with a racist or a homophobe? You wouldn't) and therefore you kind of get insulated from the idiocy that's out there.

I was in a pub about five years ago wearing a St Pauli shirt and some plank at the bar asked me what team it was. I said who it was, it's my second team, I used to go and watch them every week.

"Hitler had the right idea, day he"

I just walked away, obviously. But without wishing to politicise this thread, try just going to a few pubs and just overhear conversations. The views on race in particular are honestly shocking.

I'm not surprised by this (much as a couple of City fans I know aren't surprised by that display on Saturday), all we and the club can do is reinforce how unacceptable it is.

It's group mentality. I imagine a lot of the people that get whipped up in the occasion and join in with offensive chants in a football ground are probably completely reasonable human beings outside of that environment - which is a shame. But that's not to say we don't have our fair share of complete morons who have homophobic/racist views within them.

This conversation may go down the political route now, though, so I think I'll bow out as I can't be arsed with that! :icon_lol:

I've very briefly done politics with our wider fanbase on Twitter once or twice.

Will not be doing that again, my God.

It's group mentality. I imagine a lot of the people that get whipped up in the occasion and join in with offensive chants in a football ground are probably completely reasonable human beings outside of that environment - which is a shame. But that's not to say we don't have our fair share of complete morons who have homophobic/racist views within them.

This conversation may go down the political route now, though, so I think I'll bow out as I can't be arsed with that! :icon_lol:
I think that may have been the case 30 years ago when there was a casual acceptance of pretty much all discrimination. Not any more though.

The guys that were nicked are the same age as me, they would remember less enlightened times both within football crowds and society in general but equally know it's not acceptable even if they've not evolved their own views.

Agreed Tone.

I'm old enough to remember when any big black player was nicknamed "Bruno", which is pretty poor looking back.

Like I said when I did my Steve Bruce review the other day, I'm not going to have a go at Peter Schmeichel doing his Stan Boardman act, as deeply unfunny as it always was and as out of place as it would be now.

In December 2019 you don't really have an excuse.

It was really just one or two guys where I was, not group chanting. They might even have been the ones who got done, but they looked younger than late 40s. If I hadn't already pissed off my wife by arguing with the nasty racist woman earlier in the day, I might have reported them myself.

oops I see you guys have covered the homophobia in here. not having much luck with my thread choices lately.

I don't know what the state of homophobia in the UK has been historically, but here in the US being gay is still up there amongst the worst "fears" of your average 10 year old boy.

It's merciless over here at that age. Watching my nephew get beaten over it by his peers is... Upsetting.

I don't know what the state of homophobia in the UK has been historically, but here in the US being gay is still up there amongst the worst "fears" of your average 10 year old boy.

It's merciless over here at that age. Watching my nephew get beaten over it by his peers is... Upsetting.
Based on my kids experiences in secondary school which I appreciate is a narrow reference. For girls it's just a none issue, for boys its still a term of abuse to throw at other boys much as it was when I was at school.

Race has moved on significantly though now versus my time, although they go to a multi cultural school whereas I didn't so not a true like for like.

Agree with all of that apart from Rui. He was world class last week but out of position for Maupay goal and unfortunately it’s probably cost us 2 points. I know it was hit early but he just didn’t move his feet to get across 1 yard to his near post, i was right behind it and called it. Good thing is he will save us points again at some point this season.

Don’t think Coady is blameless for the first goal. It’s essentially a long punt forward and he just hogs alongside him without making a challenge. Although I would point fingers at Rui, I’d also do the same with Coady

When kids grow up in a culture where racism homophobia etc are considered the norm , it is very difficult (I would imagine) to change their views as they get older. Society changes much quicker than a lot of the people within it.

Anyway, back in the 80s we were playing Charlton at home. I was working in the Fox and a Charlton fan wearing a National Front t-shirt came in for a pint. Normally away fans would not be accepted, but several Wolves fans offered to buy him a drink. 35 years later and I bet most of those fans have only subtly modified their views. Anti-immigrant, anti-moslem, and wouldn't want their grand-daughter going out with a black boy.

This forum really is a bunch of angels huh.

Back