• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 2-2 Wolves

But he does raise an interesting point, where do people draw the line ? I could tell a (what could be considered)homophobic joke in jest but I don't have an ounce of hate or harm in my body, is that as bad as something being said in malice?
I mean since Kevin Pressman I havent seen a really overweight keeper or actually know of their parents marital status but is it acceptable to refer to them a fat bastards ?

By the way I'm not condoning whats happened bu the way :)

But he does raise an interesting point, where do people draw the line ? I could tell a (what could be considered)homophobic joke in jest but I don't have an ounce of hate or harm in my body, is that as bad as something being said in malice?
I mean since Kevin Pressman I havent seen a really overweight keeper or actually know of their parents marital status but is it acceptable to refer to them a fat bastards ?

By the way I'm not condoning whats happened bu the way :)

It's not about you, though is it. It's about the targets of those jokes and how it validates the homophobic opinions of those who DO have hate and harm within them.

Homophobia will be viewed by our kids in the same way that we view our parents/grandparents casual racism. We should be embarrassed by it in the same way we're embarrassed when Granny talks about the Paki shop.

I grew up in a world where gay was an insult, and it was still pretty prevalent up until VERY recently in casual/social situations (probably plenty of examples of it on this very forum). Attitudes are rightly changing (mine included) so it's not ok to sit idly by thinking it's fine to make a "pufter" joke coz you mean no harm.

Not an angel me. Far from it. But I am a step-parent to a transgender child so I view homophobia pretty darkly.

edit @ machin

there's a smiley on the forum that could easily relate to your post, you badger murdering ne'er do well! :gayrepost:

I get Pauls point though. Context is critical, as is knowing the audience. It's about making the joke on the homophobes, racists, or whatever other -ism they subscribe to.

Thanks LJ

That's why I love you, not just for your massive c#c£ :)

It's a novel idea, but maybe just don't make "gay" jokes? As hard as that may be (oooh, Matron).

Society moves on, I probably did call someone a gay cunt 15 years ago. I wouldn't do it now.

It's a novel idea, but maybe just don't make "gay" jokes? As hard as that may be (oooh, Matron).

Society moves on, I probably did call someone a gay cunt 15 years ago. I wouldn't do it now.

So just "cunt" then?

If I’m out with my boyfriend and I get homophobic bullshit thrown at me, it doesn’t make much difference to me if it’s just “banter” or not.

Discrimination is in the eye of the beholder not the person making the comment.

Homophobia will be viewed by our kids in the same way that we view our parents/grandparents casual racism.

You have a rather optimistic view of society. I find it very hard to believe society is going to get any more liberal in the near future. All the evidence is pointing the other way.

You have a rather optimistic view of society. I find it very hard to believe society is going to get any more liberal in the near future. All the evidence is pointing the other way.

Not sure about that, depends what you consider near future, certainly racism and homophobia is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was a teenager in the 70's, still a long way to go obviously. My kids and all their friends are very liberal in their views, maybe I am a bit naive but I'm hopeful that in another 40 years race, gender and sexuality just won't be an issue

I am neither racist nor Homophobic having many gay, Black, Asian and Muslim Friends.

People on here probably think I am all 3.
I find those who are homophobic are less comfortable with their sexuality.

And having this conversation with a gay friend of mine.
I was in the Rainbow Quarter in Blackpool walking with my wife I saw someone looking up and down effectively eying someone up. I naturally assumed it was my wife.
Turned out he was gay, 15 years at least younger than.me and was eying me up even asked me to go with him.
I found it funny as fuck really quite flattering and made an old man very happy.

As my gay pal said his gaydar must have been way off. I still use certain words with my mates that would be considered offensive.
My 2 best friends, I is Irish, and 1 is Welsh
I call one regularly my Tim Pal, my other one my sheep shagging mate.

It's all to do with context, being called an English cunt by me Welsh pal is not offensive being called an English cunt by a total stranger is offensive.
I regularly call my gay friend my puff pal

George Wallace employed black Americans. He was still racist.

I am neither racist nor Homophobic having many gay, Black, Asian and Muslim Friends.

People on here probably think I am all 3.
I find those who are homophobic are less comfortable with their sexuality.

And having this conversation with a gay friend of mine.
I was in the Rainbow Quarter in Blackpool walking with my wife I saw someone looking up and down effectively eying someone up. I naturally assumed it was my wife.
Turned out he was gay, 15 years at least younger than.me and was eying me up even asked me to go with him.
I found it funny as fuck really quite flattering and made an old man very happy.

As my gay pal said his gaydar must have been way off. I still use certain words with my mates that would be considered offensive.
My 2 best friends, I is Irish, and 1 is Welsh
I call one regularly my Tim Pal, my other one my sheep shagging mate.

It's all to do with context, being called an English cunt by me Welsh pal is not offensive being called an English cunt by a total stranger is offensive.
I regularly call my gay friend my puff pal

Wow. Post of the year.

I mean... it literally has already changed. we used use gay/fag pretty frequently as casual insults or exclamations growing up, even if we had gay friends, were fine with homosexuality, etc... wouldn't do it now, and the same goes for other people I've spoken with about the topic. it's different from even 10 years ago, let alone 20 or 30.

Back