• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (H) 19/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
More GazBall please.
Same line up for me as DW's.
Except I'd like to see Bentley in for Sa. Won't happen, I know.

I’m expecting it to be a lot tougher than Monday night, I hate the word in this context but it is 2023 after all, I wish we could adopt their ‘model’, they find great players for fuck all.

Based on Bentley’s brief stint last season, I’m not sure he fixes any of Sá’s issues.
He might be a little more controlled when it comes to closing players down but Sa is better than him at every other aspect of keeping. The fact Sa is far from perfect doesn’t mean replacing him with Bentley makes any sense at all.

I’m expecting it to be a lot tougher than Monday night, I hate the word in this context but it is 2023 after all, I wish we could adopt their ‘model’, they find great players for fuck all.
Brighton have done really well to date in buying low and selling high . However at some stage they will get to a point where the players they buy to replace those who leave will not live up to expectation . McAlister won't be easily replaced over the course of this season .
Last Saturday Luton had 9 shots on goal with 3 on target against Brighton at the AMEX - that's not bad for a team who are nailed on to get relegated apparently .
Brighton created plenty of chances themselves - but give up a fair few too .

We have every chance of doing well this Saturday - with Silva up top .

Brighton have done really well to date in buying low and selling high . However at some stage they will get to a point where the players they buy to replace those who leave will not live up to expectation . McAlister won't be easily replaced over the course of this season .
Last Saturday Luton had 9 shots on goal with 3 on target against Brighton at the AMEX - that's not bad for a team who are nailed on to get relegated apparently .

I completely agree with this, in reality the model is not sustainable over time. First it was Leicester now it's Brentford & Brighton. It only takes 3/4 transfer misses and they slide down the table.

I think they tend to buy enough young talent that they'll likely not end up in relegation battles but they won't consistently be challenging the top 8.

We could pick any two games back to back of Sa and find a worse record. Littered with self inflicted blunders.
Good shot stopper and that's it.

In the Everton game Bentley cost us two points. He also looked bloody awful on crosses. One in the first half he completely misjudged in a manner even a Sunday a league keeper would be embarrassed by. There’s a reason he got dropped at Bristol City!

I'd have liked to use the transfer window to upgrade Sa, but given our...ambition, there's other areas of the park we need players in more, imo. CB the biggest hole in squad right now, A 8/10 CM (The "Scott"), winger if Podence goes, a third striker who'd hopefully be an upgrade on either Fabio or Sasa. We're getting nothing of course.

It's a brilliant model -until it isn't. As you say, one or two consecutive duds knackers the whole thing. And you can't sell your best 3-4 players to Liverpool and Chelsea every season.

It's fairly ancient history now but I like living in the late 90s/early 00s at times, as my haircut at the moment speaks to...

In 1999 we sold Robbie Keane and spent most of that money on Ade Akinbiyi, Ludo Pollet, George Ndah, Michael Oakes and Michael Branch. All that business worked out well (at least initially), we were very unlucky not to make the playoffs so great, what a plan.

In 2000 we sold Ade Akinbiyi and spent most of that money on Temuri Ketsbaia, Robert Taylor, Tony Dinning, Paul Butler and Cedric Roussel. That did not work out well and we weren't far off going down to the third tier.

The theory behind selling Jota wasn't necessarily a bad one, especially as he obviously wanted to go once Liverpool were interested. Spending all that money and more on Fabio, Semedo and Hoever was definitely a bad one.

The theory behind selling Jota wasn't necessarily a bad one, especially as he obviously wanted to go once Liverpool were interested. Spending all that money and more on Fabio, Semedo and Hoever was definitely a bad one.
I still can't believe we got our arses spanked on Heover. He should have come in the deal not us paying for the cunt as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back