• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (H) Build-Up and Match Thread 14/4/17

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Sounded like a pretty desperate performance on Saturday. We all know that several of the old guard just aren't good enough to take us any further, we don't have anything to play for - if Blackburn are still alive by the time we play them on the 22nd (which is dubious in itself) then we're mathematically safe just by beating them, regardless of anything else. So for me the key has to be more experimentation, let's see what we have outside of the usual suspects who have navigated themselves to a second successive lower mid-table season, which is never acceptable at this level.

Fitness permitting:

-----------------Ikeme---------------

Coady------Batth-------Hause------Silvio

-----------Saiss---Gibbs-White---------

-------Costa----Cavaleiro-----Marshall

----------------Weimann-------------------------

Subs: Burgoyne, Doherty, Edwards, Herc, Graham, Zyro, Ennis

2016/17: L 0-1 (A)
2015/16: D 0-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2014/15: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2012/13: D 3-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2005/6: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/5: D 1-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2002/3: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)

Yeah, Dicko and Bod have both scored recently, but we already know everything we need to about those pair.

Would like to see what Herc & Ennis can bring, but starting both plus MGW would be a step too far in one go.

Not sure that Zyro and/or Graham will be quite ready yet (depends how much time they get tonight in the U23s

Fitness permitting:

-----------------Ikeme---------------

Iorfa---Williamson---Hause---Silvio

-----------Saiss---Gibbs-White------

------Costa----Cavaleiro-----Marshall

----------------Weimann---------------

Would like Williamson to get a run out for the rest of the season. How is he supposed to prove his fitness otherwise?

I think the fact that he hasn't played since Rotherham gives you your answer as to Lambert's assessment of his fitness.

He isn't that good anyway, just better than Batth or Stearman if he's actually available, it's not the highest of bars. We can and should just find better in the summer. Preferably 10 years younger and can play more than one game a week. He's on far too much money for what we can get out of him.

Williamson was a fairly low risk/low cost punt when we signed him - better than what we had but not a long term answer.

Hasn't fully worked out and not needed for next season now - as Deutsch has said we need better, but younger than him. Fine if you are going to get a Ricketts style season in that he was only a short term answer, but did play a good number of games, but not otherwise.

I think the fact that he hasn't played since Rotherham gives you your answer as to Lambert's assessment of his fitness.

He isn't that good anyway, just better than Batth or Stearman if he's actually available, it's not the highest of bars. We can and should just find better in the summer. Preferably 10 years younger and can play more than one game a week. He's on far too much money for what we can get out of him.

I'd like a top class (for this division) centre half who can command his defence whilst also getting the ball down and playing. I know we're going to end up with Grant Hanley or Ciaran Clark though. Bleughh

I want to see MGW back in, he didn't do badly at the weekend. I have a feeling Dicko will be dropped after Lambert's comments which is fair enough. I'd have Saville in for Doherty, maybe even Silvio if he comes through tonight's U23 game unscathed. The last thing I want to see on Friday is that sulky little child trudging around petulantly kicking the turf and huffing every time there's a break in play after Knockheart exposes him for the half arsed, gutless, disaster zone of a defender that he is. After that it's just the questions over fitness/injuries, there's no massive problem with this system and the personnel should be good enough to get a result, it's the application that's the issue. If we play like we did on Saturday Brighton will stick 4 or 5 past us, we need to relish the occasion of the top of the league team coming to us on Sky and raise our game.

Ikeme/Lonergan

Coady Batth Hause Saville/Silvio

Evans Gibbs-White

Marshall Cavaleiro *Costa/Bodvarsson

Weimann
*If Helder isn't fit play Weimann left and Bodvarsson up top

I want to see MGW back in, he didn't do badly at the weekend. I have a feeling Dicko will be dropped after Lambert's comments which is fair enough. I'd have Saville in for Doherty, maybe even Silvio if he comes through tonight's U23 game unscathed. The last thing I want to see on Friday is that sulky little child trudging around petulantly kicking the turf and huffing every time there's a break in play after Knockheart exposes him for the half arsed, gutless, disaster zone of a defender that he is. After that it's just the questions over fitness/injuries, there's no massive problem with this system and the personnel should be good enough to get a result, it's the application that's the issue. If we play like we did on Saturday Brighton will stick 4 or 5 past us, we need to relish the occasion of the top of the league team coming to us on Sky and raise our game.

Ikeme/Lonergan

Coady Batth Hause Saville/Silvio

Evans Gibbs-White

Marshall Cavaleiro *Costa/Bodvarsson

Weimann
*If Helder isn't fit play Weimann left and Bodvarsson up top

The fact that you would rather play a limited midfielder at LB rather Doherty says a lot - you are not wrong though

Would persevere with Bod up top now he has got a goal & see whether (in his words) the ketchup bottle theory happens - Nouha has not shown that he can come back & do the job needed

Not interested in Bod now personally. Sure, he knocked one in from five yards out in a game which was long since dead, pretty much an open goal at that. But I already know he isn't going to be anything more than a bit of a nuisance option off the bench who *might* get you 8-10 a season in a very creative, attacking team. Nothing is going to change there.

I'd sell him in the summer, we'd get most of our money back. Thanks for the effort.

Definitely don't want to see him out wide either, he'd be a very poor man's Jon Walters.

Not interested in Bod now personally. Sure, he knocked one in from five yards out in a game which was long since dead, pretty much an open goal at that. But I already know he isn't going to be anything more than a bit of a nuisance option off the bench who *might* get you 8-10 a season in a very creative, attacking team. Nothing is going to change there.

I'd sell him in the summer, we'd get most of our money back. Thanks for the effort.

Definitely don't want to see him out wide either, he'd be a very poor man's Jon Walters.

Fine - though would stay with him rather than Dicko for the last few games of this season though

I thought MGW was more of a CAM type player? Have I got that wrong then? As everyone has put him at CDM.

I thought MGW was more of a CAM type player? Have I got that wrong then? As everyone has put him at CDM.

I wouldn't have him playing deep yet. I think he's very much a Dele Alli type rather than a Moussa Dembele type. Ronan will be a quality centre mid from what I've seen.

I think the reason most folk are so excited about him is that he can play in so many positions. CDM, CAM, on the wing or even up front. He'll end up playing centrally and flit between CDM & CAM IMO but he's always going to be an attack minded player wherever he is on the pitch. If I was going to compare him to an established player (which I kind of hate doing tbh) it'd probably be Wijnaldum.

I wouldn't have him playing deep yet. I think he's very much a Dele Alli type rather than a Moussa Dembele type. Ronan will be a quality centre mid from what I've seen.

They both have a bit of bite about them so could easily play deep but I don't think Ronan would fare too well in defensive midfield at this level. I wish it wasn't this way but the Championship is just too physical.

Bod is clearly a skillful player, i think he suffered from having Edwards at 10. I think he has a bit of the good Kevin Doyle about him

Personally don't hate Edwards as some do but he's played most of every game and given his style he must be knackered, needs a rest imo....plenty of other average options

Good shout on Silvio getting a chance would be nice to see what he can do, he can't be any worse than Doc. Lambert hinting at not just players coming and going at the end of the season so it's important to see who can cut the mustard.

Ennis, Herc, MGW, Silvio all to get some game time before the season is over for me.

For Friday I would go with DW's team not that I think it will happen.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Would love to see Silvio get a chance on Friday and unlike his Irish counterpart, the Brazilian is unlikely to wear gloves in April

Silvio has to be a better bet than any of our recent fullbacks- not hard to do that though!

Back