• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (H, FAC) 28/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

GO has said he will go as strong as he can

Probably means a couple of players might be benched.

I think with Brighton it's the system that's hard to deal with, not so much the individual players (besides Mitoma who is obviously exceptional) so whilst there's obviously a lot quality missing there it won't have as much of an effect as if you took that many key players out of a squad like ours or Newcastle/West Ham.

There's only so many changes we can possibly make without weakening the team to a dangerous level.

I'd be comfortable to a point with Santi or Doyle playing (if say, Dawson or J Gomes need a breather), but putting in Bentley, Doherty or Bellegarde shouldn't be on the agenda.

There's only so many changes we can possibly make without weakening the team to a dangerous level.

I'd be comfortable to a point with Santi or Doyle playing (if say, Dawson or J Gomes need a breather), but putting in Bentley, Doherty or Bellegarde shouldn't be on the agenda.
There was a ā€œwolves spaceā€ on Twitter (X) last night & the majority of the mugs on there said Doc & Bellegarde coming in ā€œdid not weaken the starting 11ā€.

You do wonder what some of our fans are watching.

There was a ā€œwolves spaceā€ on Twitter (X) last night & the majority of the mugs on there said Doc & Bellegarde coming in ā€œdid not weaken the starting 11ā€.

Read the comments below any PTS article on the Athletic and Spiers before that. They aren't stupid people, but they are clueless.

Perhaps itā€™s what they snort before watching. Anyone thinking either of them donā€™t weaken us must be on drugs.

It won't be long until Bellegarde starts to get stick from the stands unfortunately. He needs a goal or a decent performance soon to stave it off. Shame as he seems like a nice guy and a good pro but I just don't think the quality is quite there.

Simply doesn't have a proper role in this system. If we ever moved back to 4-3-3 then there might be an opportunity for him but otherwise I can't see it.

He looked decent enough on his debut as I recall. Haven't seen much from him since.

Not easy for him, think some if it is confidence. I've noticed him a couple of times with his arm up, as if he wants the ball but he was standing out wide behind an opposition player at the time. That said to me 'yeah I want the ball, but I know I'm not really going to be given it.
Getting on his back wont help him anyway.

He hasn't been that bad; ineffective at worst but hardly a competition winner IMV. The tools you'd want all look to be there to me.

As Dan rightly says, we currently don't play a formation that lets him do the things that he did at Strasbourg. Stacked deck for the lad, though that doesn't change how minimal his influence has been for the most part.

He hasn't been that bad; ineffective at worst but hardly a competition winner IMV. The tools you'd want all look to be there to me.

As Dan rightly says, we currently don't play a formation that lets him do the things that he did at Strasbourg. Stacked deck for the lad, though that doesn't change how minimal his influence has been for the most part.
I dunno. I agree with the formation bit - and Iā€™ve said several times that Iā€™m personally willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this season, as weā€™ve seen with other players (Cunha being the perfect example), that it can take a season or so to adjust properly - but at time of writing, I donā€™t know exactly what Bellegarde is or what heā€™s good at.

Heā€™s not particularly quick.
Heā€™s not particularly powerful.
He doesnā€™t seem to have a very good passing range.
Heā€™s not great in the air.
Heā€™s no better than others at tackling.
He doesnā€™t seem particularly skilful or creative.
He hasnā€™t got a great or lethal shot on him.

Yes, I know weā€™re not playing a formation that potentially brings out the best in him, but currently, heā€™s offering nothing of note.

Iā€™m sorry if that comes across as a bit harsh - but when we signed him I just expected a bit more. Who knows? Maybe heā€™ll kick on next season - I havenā€™t written him off yet, but anyone who says starting him isnā€™t a downgrade as it stands, is kidding themselves.

Anyway, tonightā€™s game is apparently on the red button on BBC (in the UK). I didnā€™t even realise that was a thing!

I didnā€™t help matters by swooning so hard when we signed him. I thought heā€™d have done more by now.

Personally feel he does look quick and strong, and the rest (passing, creativity) will hopefully come as he settles into the squad and gets more time with Gary. Up to him to prove folks ā€œwrongā€!

Back