• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff (H) Build-Up & Match Thread 1/4/17

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Much better in our last two games clearly and we have to stick with the same formula. Six points from here should be enough to secure safety (not that it should ever have come to this) so let's get half the job done on Saturday.

Not much that we can do about the shite fullbacks at the moment unfortunately, I still hate the pair of them. I'd happily play Breslin at LB but Lambo won't.

-----------------------Ikeme----------------------

Coady----------Williamson--------Hause--------Doherty

--------------Edwards-------Evans---------------

--------Marshall----Cavaleiro------Costa----------

---------------------Weimann-------------------------

Subs: Burgoyne, Batth, Saiss, Gibbs-White, Enobakhare, Bodvarsson, Dicko

2016/17: L 1-2 (A)
2015/16: L 1-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2014/15: W 1-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2012/13: L 1-2 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2008/9: D 2-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2007/8: W 3-0 (H), W 3-2 (A), L 0-2 (A, FAC)
2006/7: L 1-2 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2004/5: L 2-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)

Has to be Marshall, Cav, Costa and Weimann. I'd rather Hause and Evans played behind them but beyond that everything is just a bit shit.

A win here would guarantee safety IMO.

Ikeme struggling with a hamstring allegedley.
Please god not Lonergan if he can't play.

I think that will be the team, maybe Batth in for Williamson. I'd rather see Saiss next to Evans and let Lee get forward a little more but that's not happening. This will be a bigger test than the last 2 games for me, at home against a team that won't dominate the ball so we have to break them down.

Lonergan if no Ikeme. Colin will just need to show the goals from the away game to demonstrate to his players how to beat Burgoyne

Taking the family to this one after the, ahem, 'success' of the Rotherham trip. Given that was 'the best day of my life' according to my 6 year old daughter, the bar is a low one to clear. Nonetheless, I've every confidence in us failing to clear it.

Looking forward to a formation that doesn't see Edwards in the number 10 role. Pretty much anything that includes that innovation will be good by me.

Im not sure anybody has seen the set of fixtures in the next sets of games, but it really is remarkable. Only Wolves out of the bottom seven teams have home games. The rest are all away in the next two sets of games. We really could be home and dry come next Tuesday if we win both.

Normally Quirkles I'd agree with you but we've been gasher than gash at home this year.

If our front four play as they can and Lambert doesn't piss about with garbage tactics I'd agree with you. Not so sure mind you.

Well its the best time to see if we have turned a corner under Lambert this coming week..

Dear Mr Lambert, please pretend it's an away game and play accordingly, to soak up the 'pressure' and hit Cardiff on the break.

We just do not have a team capable of monopolising possession at home so we need to play to our strengths.

Please don't 'take the game' to Cardiff and we might just nick it, 1-0 :wolves:

Cardiff will sit off of us. Warnock may be a wanker but he's not stupid. Hopefully with Cavaleiro central it will enable us to break opposition down.

Cardiff will sit off of us. Warnock may be a wanker but he's not stupid. Hopefully with Cavaleiro central it will enable us to break opposition down.

That's my worry, when teams 'sit off us' we never have the nous to break them down. Hence our excellent away record and pitiful home performances ?

Cardiff will sit off of us. Warnock may be a $#@!er but he's not stupid. Hopefully with Cavaleiro central it will enable us to break opposition down.

I'd say we need Evans or Saiss in to break teams down. They're the two at the club with the best range of passing.

Personally I'd like them to play together which I don't think we've seen, but as Edwards is probably undroppable at the moment that won't happen.

I do understand what people see in Saiss, but for me it's what they think he's capable of rather than what he actually does. I wasn't at Newcastle away, where he supposedly was very good, but when I have seen him he's been OK to poor, certainly not head and shoulders above the rest of the averageness that play in centre midfield. I do believe he has it in him to pick the passes that I know Saville, Edwards, Price or Coady can't do, but have seen little evidence of him actually doing that in games and isn't a defensive wall either.

Evans is inconsistent, but I have seen him make the balls that the others above can't, I can't say I have in Saiss' case.

Cardiff will sit off of us. Warnock may be a $#@!er but he's not stupid. Hopefully with Cavaleiro central it will enable us to break opposition down.

Yep, I would expect Cardiff to hit balls into the channels and then hit a high press but immediately drop off when they don't have the ball and play deep.

Their centre backs will lap up any hoof balls so playing football must be the order of the day for us.

I do understand what people see in Saiss, but for me it's what they think he's capable of rather than what he actually does. I wasn't at Newcastle away, where he supposedly was very good, but when I have seen him he's been OK to poor, certainly not head and shoulders above the rest of the averageness that play in centre midfield. I do believe he has it in him to pick the passes that I know Saville, Edwards, Price or Coady can't do, but have seen little evidence of him actually doing that in games and isn't a defensive wall either.

Evans is inconsistent, but I have seen him make the balls that the others above can't, I can't say I have in Saiss' case.

I cut Saiss some slack because in general when selected its alongside players who struggle to pass the ball or show for the ball so has had little opportunity to display his quality. If we now select like minded players in the ten position it may provide a base from which to create a passing system of play. Likewise when Williamson has been available he does possess a calm assuring presence which then enables a thoughtful pass into the midfield rather than the normal hoofball. Hopefully we could witness some football that plays through the field.

If we do play Saiss I hope we instruct him to play a little further up the pitch. Ikeme doesn't need a player stood 5 yards in front of him

Yeah behind him would be better :goal:

Are you here all week and should I try the fish?...

The sun is shining, I completed my third game back in competitive football last night after about 12 years away without completely disgracing myself, and I'm at the height of the pre-match optimism curve. 3-1 Wolves (Hause, Edwards and Costa). FWIW, I've enjoyed watching Saiss, including when he came on against Forest when, with Ronan and Enobakhare getting time as well, all looked relatively promising.

Back