• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cavaleiro

Dave Edwards or Darren Ferguson - you've got to pick one, which would it be?

Dave Edwards or Darren Ferguson - you've got to pick one, which would it be?

Edwards, 100%. In fact, 1,000,000% over Lipstick Darren. He's not in that bracket. Just greatly overstayed his welcome for no real reason other than he's a good lad who works hard.

And yet,argue the fact that he offers little if anything,bar running about on wolves pages on Facebook,loads of people get nasty very quickly because you're dissing the Welsh Lionel messi,I visit the forum for reasoned debate(mostly)

If he was purely as a squad player, who came on as a sub every now and then to help give us some energy for twenty minutes I could really handle it. And sometimes he does pick up a decent position to score in. But as it is, it's getting beyond parody now. Lambert loves him.

Lambert, Thelwell, the coaches and every manager since Mick signed him love Edwards. We're stuck with him being a first team player until he retires or gets a long term injury.

Ken actually had him pegged right at the back end of 2014/15. Started him maybe 2 games out of 6 (whether for tactics or filling in for a knock), the rest of the time used him off the bench, didn't really use him at #10. And it worked. He did largely alright when he had his limited outings, we looked a better team generally because he wasn't a fixture.

And then something happened to Ken's brain and he parked him on the left of a diamond midfield at the start of the next season, which is hands down one of the worst non-Saunders tactical decisions I have ever seen here in 29 years.

Edit: Just checked. Started five out of 12 games at the end, so a little bit more than I thought though a couple of those were the very last couple of games where we absolutely had to win against relegated dross so just went all out attack and dropped Price. Had seven straight games out of the starting XI in March/April, wasn't injured either.

I was just thinking about Cav and Costa. So I'll take a page from Dan's book and get into some percentages (in the league only, starts and subs). The data is mildly surprising.

Just Cav plays: P5 - W1 - D1 - L3 (20% win rate)

Just Costa plays: P8 - W0 - D3 - L5 (0% win rate)

Both play: P25 - W10 - D6 - L9 (40% win rate)

Neither play: P5 - W4 - D0 - L1 (80% win rate)

Obviously this isn't scientific and the sample sizes for every set except "Both" are small, but it's still not the results I had expected.

Reading at home, Blues, Leeds and Barnsley away the games we won and Huddersfield at home the game we lost Alan?? That's for when neither play. So 2 of them came before Cav was even here and we were playing on the positivity of Zenga. I don't think you can take too much from that really.

Not won a game where just Costa played, most of those were in February i guess when we decided that we had 2 tactics that were both shit. Give it to Helder or boot it long as far as you can.

Reading at home, Blues, Leeds and Barnsley away the games we won and Huddersfield at home the game we lost Alan?? That's for when neither play. So 2 of them came before Cav was even here and we were playing on the positivity of Zenga. I don't think you can take too much from that really.

Not won a game where just Costa played, most of those were in February i guess when we decided that we had 2 tactics that were both $#@!. Give it to Helder or boot it long as far as you can.
Like I said, hardly scientific.

If I had to guess, having one of Costa or Cav on the pitch makes the other players play worse (the "give it to Helder and watch him" mentality). When both of our Portuguese are on the pitch they can overcome this mentality from the rest of the team, and their success in tandem spurs on the rest. With neither of them on the pitch, our old guard subconsciously realize they can't get complacent and so play better as a group, not expecting anyone else to magic their way through the match.

Just guessing here and I'm surely not advocating that we get rid of Costa/Cav or stop bringing in players of their caliber.

Costa we may have to sell just because we may receive silly money for him, in which case I can't be too mad. If we sell Cav for less than something like 15m though, I'll be absolutely livid.

But I'm an RvlP apologist. What do I know? :Icon_wink:

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Individually I don't think Cav has been that good this year, he can hold on to the ball too long, can showboat too much and has lacked end product too many occasions. Disappointing for the price point and the tag at the time of purchase as being our record signing. That said for a relatively young player with no experience of the Championship, particularly the number of games it throws at you all perfectly understandable. I've yet to see the incident from the weekend, but it seems he was suckered by an experienced professional and cannot ever repeat it. If a lesson needs to be learnt better in that game than a meaningful one. It will be on the grapevine that you can wind him up now though and teams will be looking to do it next year.

For me, the fact that we are a better side with both Cav and Costa on the pitch is a simple one to explain. Despite everything I have said above Cav has talent, he's an extra player the opposition have to worry about other than just 'stop Costa, stop Wolves', which gives our team more options and stretches the game more, so they can't just overload on Costa's side.

Cavaleiro hasn't been brilliant, but certainly better than much of what has been used when he has not been avalable.

Will have been a learning curve for him & would tend to ignore the price tag as doubt that he had much to do with that.

Still think that there is a good player (at this level at least) in there

We are one of the worst clubs for any idea of adjustment period for a club. Spies is probably one of those people that labels Forlan and Veron failures as they didn't work out in the Prem for example.

Look at the difference in Sako in y3 compared to his first season with us.

Sako was our best player in year 1, 2 and 3?

Sako was our best player in year 1, 2 and 3?

Yeah he was superb as an attacking force but his all round game improved tenfold. He didn't track back enough and left our LB exposed on numerous occasions - I remember his tackling was also quite poor. But by the final season he was a complete Left winger in the sense that he contributed to all areas of the pitch.

Cavaleiro strikes me as being quite similar in that he's got the attacking attributes, we just need to improve his general play so that he makes positive contributions across the entire pitch which will come as he develops to the English game - a pre-season will also aid him a lot

In the first season it wasn't that Sako didn't track back, it was more that he was a liability when he did, giving away a number of free kicks and penalties in and around the box. Nevertheless he was one of very few bright points that season and the infamous Saunders injury comment proves how important he was to us as much as it does how big a cock Deano is.

Back