• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 0-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Kilman is a sold Bennett-esque player. He played well tonight. I'm not sure he's good enough for where we want to go though, but time will tell
I think Kilman has a better way with the ball than Bennet, but he has the pace of Laurie Madden. I like him, but he’s not for us.

As i said at half time i understand totally what Nuno was doing in terms of our defensive shape etc and we had a couple of very decent chances but i can't defend that approach as it goes against what football is supposed to be for me. I don't mind a low block if when you have possession there's a plan to attack and make the most of when you have the ball but that just wasn't the case. I totally understand the lack of confidence but the game was there to be won.

Taking the emotional side out of the game we just aren't good enough on the ball in our half and for me that's a tactical issue. We have a team of international footballers who can't pass out from the back yet guarantee most if not all of them do it for their International side with ease. The patterns of play just aren't there, too many times the full back gets it and the only option is the centre back when it should be a central midfielder who can build the attack. Obviously Willian needs to play Saturday but i still want to see us to look more comfortable at building attacks rather than pass to Neto/Traore and they will create something by beating 3 players and repeat.

If we build on this point and see progression then it will all be forgotten about and hopefully that's the case.

4 points against Chelsea is a good return.

Fully understand why we played like that and it felt good to finally get a clean sheet but hopefully we can be more progressive against Palace.
It was our foundation game to build again, I think setting up without a striker should have warned how the game was going to go, and for everybody spaffing about Chelsea, what did they create, really? Nearly 500 passes first half, how many shots on target?

Just a thought i have..if we never play attacking fast passing football with movement and really dare to play, we will never learn to be good at it either..you learn from your mistakes and by daring to do them

Oh and Rui has found his mojo again. Back to taking crosses and constantly talking to the defence. When he is on form he prevents a lot of shots/chances. Recently he has been a little quiet and reluctant to move from his line. Much much better tonight. Probably lifted from watching his teammates defend properly

Last edited:
The back 3 (Boly particularly) did what they needed to & Rui wasn't really exposed.

Without the front man we have no real bite though had the best chance with Neto

With what we have just now we were never going to be expansive & Chelsea were dissapointing - 0 - 0 is about right.

I'd say 100% we were going for a 0 from them. That will make Nuno happy to begin with. If Neto puts that away we shithouse the win. Like someone else said Nuno must have said "DO NOT CONCEDE A GOAL TONIGHT." And they did that job. We have to go back to our basic solid game. This is the start. On the upside WJ looked as if he can hold the ball up and play people in. One day someone will cross to him and he'll have a sniff at goal.

Oh and Rui has found his mojo again. Back to taking crosses and constantly talking to the defence. When he is on form he prevents a lot of shots/chances. Recently he has been a little quiet and reluctant to move from his line. Much much better tonight. Probably lifted from watching his teammate defend properly

Our defending at set pieces was infinitely better.

We had two good chances to win the game, plus Donk's header in the first half. Neto gets half a yard less in his scoop over Mendy and we probably win the game. Donk controls the ball in front of him and he has a free shot on goal inside the box.

Chelsea had that final header, maybe the cut back from Pulisic (?) that Boly intercepted away, and that's about it in terms of decent chances.

We were undoubtedly poor on the ball for 90% of the game but to say we didn't try to score is doing them a disservice.

To be fair we did play without a striker and without Traore, chances would be limited

It looks like we had a chance that was worth 0.5 - I'm guessing that fell to Donk?

I didn't see the game

..you learn from your mistakes
Yep we have learned trying to be too open leads to us defending like chumps and conceding shit goals.
Having a focal point up top will help us loads though and for 70 mins we didn't have that.

Ach, I'll have the point all day. But deliberately playing for a 0-0 and having 20% possession isn't what we're about, and nor should it be.

And I don't think it will be long term, Nuno probably just wanted a clean sheet considering the last one was October (!!)

A good point against a side that cost 100’s of millions. As others have said we were hopeless in possession but created the best chance of the game.

Onwards and upwards ands let’s see what we can do with Jose up front on Saturday.

Back