• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

i mean i love Nuno and he has been doing everything great and almost perfect, but i think he made mistakes today..and, it is ok, everybody make mistakes..just limit them to a minimun if you can..

Gotta to try and keep it in perspective- I’d have loved to finish higher, and I’m sure that the players will be hurting that we haven’t, but given everything else that’s still a great achievement.

We’ve finished higher than we would have if the season had ended instead of restarting. That’s just nonsense.

This was the table when the season was suspended. We are 6th

1. Liverpool 29, +45, 82

2. Manchester City 28, +37, 57

3. Leicester 29, +30, 53

4. Chelsea 29, +12, 48

5. Manchester United 29, +14, 45

6. Wolverhampton Wanderers 29, +7, 43

7. Sheffield United 28, +5, 43

8. Tottenham 29, +7, 41

9. Arsenal 28, +4, 40

10. Burnley 29, -6, 39

11. Crystal Palace 29, -6, 39

Now if thats your definition of nonsense I am in real trouble.

This was the table when the season was suspended. We are 6th

1. Liverpool 29, +45, 82

2. Manchester City 28, +37, 57

3. Leicester 29, +30, 53

4. Chelsea 29, +12, 48

5. Manchester United 29, +14, 45

6. Wolverhampton Wanderers 29, +7, 43

7. Sheffield United 28, +5, 43

8. Tottenham 29, +7, 41

9. Arsenal 28, +4, 40

10. Burnley 29, -6, 39

11. Crystal Palace 29, -6, 39

Now if thats your definition of nonsense I am in real trouble.

Sheffield United had a better PPG than us though - had a game in hand

Tiresome is that you always seem happier when your doomsaying comes off than when we perform well.

Point blank, there's no place for it.

Please

Some evidence

Youre taking a defeat and performance out on me and making up your own version.

When we are good I am happy to say we atre good. I would however , argue that only Everton and West Ham have been good performances since the restart. We did enough against Bournemouth and Palace. We blew if against Sheff united and were not good V Burnley who had Dean help. We sucked against Arsenal and we were not far behind for that today. How the fuck is that doomsaying?

Only caught the second half.

Disjointed but a word for Chelsea's pressing. They were very good today I thought and deserve some credit for forcing errors.

Have seen the goals but not seen the dive yet, I'm not surprised by VAR ignoring it. Those using it are perverting it for their own interests.

Not too angry was a big ask to go there today and win, especially after they didn't get the point at Liverpool. Ultimately we can look back at the season and the number of draws are our undoing, plenty of games we've been caught during our "contain" phase and then had to chase games get level but not find a winner.

The squad and tactics will evolve more and we'll see what we can achieve next season, Europa League has been incredible but not qualifying could be a blessing in disguise for our ongoing development and with the 20/21 calendar in mind.

People getting a hard on because we have lost and they can score cheap points is just bizarre. 7th is a great season, but I do think we are realistically a fair way off the Top 4, particularly as this was a weak season in terms of the points needed for 4th.

First goal was a dive and and a great hit, the second just poor from all of our centre halves, but Coady being bullied is shocking. He just shouldn't play against teams from West London again.

I'll admit I watched the Villa game for the last 20 mins, the Adama to rwb tactic doesn't work,but for the 70 before Donck was our best player.

I know it’s a one off game, but I expect Chelsea to beat Arsenal - they are so much better than them. I know it doesn’t work like that but most times, Chelsea win this game

Arsenal will win the FA. Cup put every penny you own on it. The FA and PL only want the big 6 involved in Europe end of

Mea culpa on that one- I misremembered Sheffield knocking us into 8th on PPG, not 7th.

The players seemed to drop their heads when they went 1-0 down. I don’t know how far this “keep it tight and then try and get a goal in the last 20 minutes” tactic will take us. It’s like the players knew they didn’t have two goals in them today and then it just petered out.

25% possession in the second half (I think I read) and 1 shot on target in a massive game like today is hugely disappointing. Especially when bloody Palace did us a favour! Nuno’s tactics, starting line up and substitutions had me scratching my head today too. Sorry, but that’s just the way I saw it.

Hopefully the boys can recharge their batteries for the EL for one final push.

Please

Some evidence

When we are good I am happy to say we atre good. I would however , argue that only Everton and West Ham have been good performances since the restart. We did enough against Bournemouth and Palace. We blew if against Sheff united and were not good V Burnley who had Dean help. We sucked against Arsenal and we were not far behind for that today. How the fuck is that doomsaying?

Doomsaying because most of this is wrong (we obviously just talking opinions rather than facts here) imo we were good against West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth, Palace and Everton, not very good against Arsenal. To say we blew it versus Sheffield and not good versus Burnley is patronising to those clubs at best, we were unlucky in both games. Think your expectations are unrealistic given our current squad

Arsenal will win the FA. Cup put every penny you own on it. The FA and PL only want the big 6 involved in Europe end of
This type of silver foil wearing crap does my head in. Arsenal may beat Chelsea, but the notion that Taylor is going to deliberately give them decisions to fuck us over is bollocks. Atwell fell for a dive today, it's a poor decision but that's where it ends

Nope youre having it so pin your ears back

You have given me pelters on that thread so you can have it back here

We have been very poor today , same as Arsenal and Sheff United. I will excuse Burnley as Mike Dean fucked us over.

We had this in our own hands at the restart and have not done enough its as simple as that. Giving me constant abuse because I dare say something negative on a matchday thread only makes me even more likely to call you out. Stop it. Its neither big nor clever. Ultimately we have fallen short. We still have hope via EL and FA cup

Today we were insipid in attack and gave Cabellero an easy afternoon. Which is not what was either anticipated or needed. In addition Shatwell proved himself again to be an average ref at best. Chelsea were falling over all over the place and winning free kicks.

We have had a fantastic season and done really well but in the games that really mattered we have often fallen short. Watford, Arsenal Chelsea , Sheff United, Burnley at home. We are where we deserve to be. Its fact not fiction so stop with the ire Alan. Its a bit tiresome

As with everything, Cyber, especially your statistics, you are very selective - it was a stinker of a performance, but we have probably ended up where we deserve - yes, ifs and ands and all that, but that was a good second season back. Jota is an enigma - would like to know how we unlock those good performances more often - Neto deserves more time on the pitch.

We've improved on last season and still got Europa to come. Progress will be harder at the level we're at now. A couple of key signings and not losing anyone should see us push on. I think 5th would have been fair. We're better than Spurs and Leicester.

The players seemed to drop their heads when they went 1-0 down. I don’t know how far this “keep it tight and then try and get a goal in the last 20 minutes” tactic will take us. It’s like the players knew they didn’t have two goals in them today and then it just petered out.

25% possession in the second half (I think I read) and 1 shot on target in a massive game like today is hugely disappointing. Especially when bloody Palace did us a favour! Nuno’s tactics, starting line up and substitutions had me scratching my head today too. Sorry, but that’s just the way I saw it.

Hopefully the boys can recharge their batteries for the EL for one final push.

Nuno is superb, but he's not infallible, wouldn't expect him to be, think he got the starting line-up/formation wrong and panicked when went 2 down. Think one of his few weaknesses is when we need to change things when we're playing poorly, sometimes he gets it right, sometimes he gets it horribly wrong...lets not forget we're only in season 3 of a long term project, we've come a long way very quickly and still a lot of work to do to make us a regular top 6 team

Please

Some evidence

It regularly comes across that you'd prefer to be right than Wolves do well.

You have to wonder if Nuno tinkered a little too much today, changing a winning team. Should Joao have played? Should Donk have stayed in the back three? Should Traore have started against Alonso?

Hindsight is great, but the performance highlights a poor day all round from players to manager included.

A very disappointing day. 37% possession and only one shot on target.

The only silver lining was seeing Deeney relegated. Loser.

It regularly comes across that you'd prefer to be right than Wolves do well.

I would prefer to get credit not pelters when I am right I will concede. I have not gone in for this top 4 shit because that is not what I have seen. We are excellent at doing what we do. But our record against the other 10 sides shown in the table as of game 29 above is 4 8 8. And if you really think losing 8 games to your top ten rivals is going to get you anywhere close to the champions league then you need your lumps felt! Thats a royal you. It goes for anyone. I haven't changed my tune at all. I have enjoyed a number of our away performances but very few at Home. You all took the piss when I with a bit of tongue in cheek went on about luck , jinxes etc and thats fine. Just dont confuse superstition with fact. Every side above us has a better home record.If we want to make it a sky 7 or 8 with Leicester then we need to d a bit more attacking and be a bit more creative especially in home games and especially against our rivals. Our 4 home defeats have come to rivals for the 4-8th spot.Now if thats me being a doomsayer and preferring it when we lose to when we win well I will have to take it. But I dont see it that way.

I did think first half we were okay. Didn’t create anything but neither had they. It felt like the plan was to get Adama and Joao on around the 60 minute mark. But a superb free kick is scored from a stupid dive and it went out the window, think the players panicked in that instance and then a good team managed the game very well

Has Cyber conceded yet that he was wrong about us finishing 8th? It’s been nearly a week, just wondering.

Just pointing out a fact hope that’s okay.

I did think first half we were okay. Didn’t create anything but neither had they. It felt like the plan was to get Adama and Joao on around the 60 minute mark. But a superb free kick is scored from a stupid dive and it went out the window, think the players panicked in that instance and then a good team managed the game very well

That’s why that tactic will only get us so far, because it’s football and you can’t stop things happening like the referee spotting an invisible kick.

Back