• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

Atwell fell for a dive today, it's a poor decision but that's where it ends

Just to be a pedant - Atwell fell for a LOT of dives today. He’s an experienced ref, maybe he’s just taking the easy, coasting through route.

Thanks.
But surely VAR was said to be there to correct erroneous decisions. Perhaps like in cricket and tennis, a team could have reviews
That's my view. The counter argument is you get teams using them erroneously to waste time.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but have seen enough contentious decisions (whether VAR inspired or not) to see that there is bias, whether conscious or not. That’s my opinion and the last time I looked this was discussion and opinion forum and I respect yours. Although, if you were new to this forum and reading some of the posts at times, you would think that we were a club divided.

Irrespective, as to the game, again we didn’t shower ourselves in glory. Looked slow, jaded, lacking ideas and too many off days. Solid enough for 45 minutes and fairly neat and tidy, but clear that we are two or three players short of challenging the top 6.
Positively we have improved this season and other than some harsh VAR decisions, who knows?....fine margins and all that!!!!
In the context of our last two seasons I’m absolutely buzzing, and it’s not over yet

COYW Stick together, remember the strength is in the pack
I agree there is bias in both on field decisions and VAR decisions, I believe it's unconscious but can see how people would feel the opposite. The first line of your original post suggested that the Cup Final will be officiated in a way to ensure Arsenal win to stop us getting into Europe, that's the part I'm not personally having

That's my view. The counter argument is you get teams using them erroneously to waste time.

I'd say that football should go to a stop-start clock, but that would likely put an end to stoppage time which I find wonderfully dramatic.

A very flat performance today and were second best against a tidy but untroubled Chelsea side. A shame because we deserved to finish in the top 6 but still - equalling last season's finish with better stats across the board and a really enjoyable jaunt in Europe means I'm a happy Wolves fan despite today's game.

I'll never understand why some people are so determined to be proved right instead of accepting that we're a good side but football creates odd feelings I guess.

On Twitter I saw people ironically tweeting 'Coady for England' after Chelsea's 2nd. Wtf is wrong with people like this? I agree that there are plenty of our fanbase who appear happier to look as if they're knowledgeable about football than they are about our successes this season. VAR has fucked us over and that's my biggest bugbear with the 19/20 season, but the sense of entitlement is a close 2nd.

But! Our season isn't over yet. Let's see what the remainder of the EL brings (and hopefully Chelsea can beat Arsenal in the cup final) but no matter what happens, I'd rather just be proud of what we have achieved and not nitpick and think 'what if' with what we haven't achieved.

I'd say that football should go to a stop-start clock, but that would likely put an end to stoppage time which I find wonderfully dramatic.

It would mean we concede a few less though!

Sorry if I was a bit harsh on you. Disappointment and it can get the better of me.

We are streets ahead of the Wolves in their prvious Premier league campaigns under MM or DJ with both performance and player quality.

It would mean we concede a few less though!

Sorry if I was a bit harsh on you. Disappointment and it can get the better of me.

No harm done, mate. I was harsh on you, too. Emotions always run high on the matchday threads, especially when there's a lot riding on the result.

Happy to put it behind us. :beerchug:

A very flat performance today and were second best against a tidy but untroubled Chelsea side. A shame because we deserved to finish in the top 6 but still - equalling last season's finish with better stats across the board and a really enjoyable jaunt in Europe means I'm a happy Wolves fan despite today's game.

I'll never understand why some people are so determined to be proved right instead of accepting that we're a good side but football creates odd feelings I guess.

On Twitter I saw people ironically tweeting 'Coady for England' after Chelsea's 2nd. Wtf is wrong with people like this? I agree that there are plenty of our fanbase who appear happier to look as if they're knowledgeable about football than they are about our successes this season. VAR has fucked us over and that's my biggest bugbear with the 19/20 season, but the sense of entitlement is a close 2nd.

But! Our season isn't over yet. Let's see what the remainder of the EL brings (and hopefully Chelsea can beat Arsenal in the cup final) but no matter what happens, I'd rather just be proud of what we have achieved and not nitpick and think 'what if' with what we haven't achieved.

Coady will get the brunt of things on the second goal, but it's truly shambolic from all four players involved; Boly hesitated against Pulisic, Saiss was too late to stop Mount, and Rui probably should have done more to separate Giroud from the ball (he was probably in the most difficult position of the four, though).

It's a bad, bad goal all the way through the team.

Coady will get the brunt of things on the second goal, but it's truly shambolic from all four players involved; Boly hesitated against Pulisic, Saiss was too late to stop Mount, and Rui probably should have done more to separate Giroud from the ball (he was probably in the most difficult position of the four, though).

Yep, I agree. We were clearly riled after the awful free kick decision and lost focus which is disappointing. Still doesn't excuse the sarcastic tweets against a player who has become an absolute hero for Wolves.

No harm done, mate. I was harsh on you, too. Emotions always run high on the matchday threads, especially when there's a lot riding on the result.

Happy to put it behind us. :beerchug:

done :tiphat:

Yeah even the attempted tackle by Neves (?) was rubbish too. All round lapse in concentration.

Seen some saying coady had a poor game against Giroud. while no one was good, I don’t think Coady was anywhere near the worst of performers nor did he directly struggle with Giroud!

Yep, I agree. We were clearly riled after the awful free kick decision and lost focus which is disappointing. Still doesn't excuse the sarcastic tweets against a player who has become an absolute hero for Wolves.

I dont get that. If youre in the ground Coady is getting some stick for that as are others. It would be deserved stick on this occasion because it was collectively awful. I cant remember the last time I saw a defender make a fuck up then said oh dear how sad never mind. Coady has been immense for two years but when he fucks up he can and should be called for it. As for twitter its pure nonsense.

100% agree. Comms here said we paid $75k for him? That's just incredible business for a guy who is now captain and seems to have played every single possible minute since Nuno arrived.

Yeah even the attempted tackle by Neves (?) was rubbish too. All round lapse in concentration.

Seen some saying coady had a poor game against Giroud. while no one was good, I don’t think Coady was anywhere near the worst of performers nor did he directly struggle with Giroud!

Thought it was more a case of Giroud being excellent, really. He found pockets of space and his first touch was sublime throughout.

Doherty was £75k. Coady was about £2m. Still great value of course!

I agree there is bias in both on field decisions and VAR decisions, I believe it's unconscious but can see how people would feel the opposite. The first line of your original post suggested that the Cup Final will be officiated in a way to ensure Arsenal win to stop us getting into Europe, that's the part I'm not personally having

To be fair Tony, my original post didn’t say that, I merely stated that if there is an unconscious bias Arsenal will win. Not to keep Wolves out, but to get Arsenal in. So not bias against us but for Arsenal.
I’ll still be having my crafty bet on it though, as my similar feelings have netted my a nice little earner this season.
UTW mate

Not good enough.

It really was not good enough today.
Raul was really Poor, Neto none existent,. None of the players did anything of use.

We looked like a team that has played for 12 months

Still been a very good season, 7th is about our level currently with squad we have. Jaoa was a huge miss in the middle today by the time he came on the game was gone. Raul ill forgive for his display think his head was probably more with his girlfriend and new born.
I think Nuno is struggling with his personal situation just a shame he can't go and see his family for just a few days, any of us who've had to spend long periods away from loved ones will know just how tough it is.
Id tell the players to take time out for the next few days away from football, clear their heads ready for next week.

A tame performance to round off an incredibly long season. Not surprisingly we were a bit lackluster but in the wider context of improving our points haul compared to last season and still being in contention for the EL cup I struggle to be too critical of performances.

We also used the least players over the season so hopefully we address that during the summer. Maybe being a bit bolder last summer could have been beneficial but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Going from CL TO EUROPA league is far more disappointing than going from Europa to nothing especially considering they were a nailed on cert at xmas. Again they're in a more realistic place they're in the same category as ourselves, spurs and Arsenal currently.

Back