• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea (H) 8/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you aren't playing with wide forwards and I get why you wouldn't then you need full backs who can cross a ball. Semedo can't
We'll play one of our other right backs then...oh, we don't have any.

Unless Luke Matheson does his Oskar Buur vs Hull in 2018 impression.

As Tredders says, no point in crossing. None of our forwards attack crosses and none of our midfielders get in the box.

The hope in the 4-4-2 would be that Costa could generally hang out up there and actually give CBs something to worry about.
I like Costa quite a bit, but he’s done. Little cameo at the end perhaps but we need to stop pretending him and Moutinho have the legs to start a match.

Nunes played in his best position second half yesterday and was rubbish. Same as he was when he played in his best position second half against spurs in the 343 (we started 433/442 in thay and were awful, we change to 343 and after Moutinho came on for him we controlled the game).
Yep, I said a few weeks ago that there was a real "Scholes for England" vibe developing around him. We have played him where he allegedly plays, lots. He has been shit.

As mentioned on the verdict thread, he gave up yesterday. Thanks for that mate, I guess you get paid regardless.

So we still don't create or score, just in a slightly different formation.

I'd like to see Nunes played in his best position, alongside Lemina.

............................. Sa

Semedo - Dawson - Kilman - Bueno

................. Lemina - Nunes

............. Neto - Cunha - Podence

........................... Raul

If Neto can't start then Sarabia instead.

This for me, although as Tony says who knows what Lop will plump for. I'd also be tempted to put Toti in for Max.

Don't want Adama or Moutinho starting any more please

I like Costa quite a bit, but he’s done. Little cameo at the end perhaps but we need to stop pretending him and Moutinho have the legs to start a match.
If we simplified things a bit I think they'd be fine. Obviously it isn't ideal but we don't really have an ideal option at the moment.

Moutinho looks so old because we're asking him to cover a fuck ton of ground, which makes about as much sense as a pipe organ in a library. Costa you wouldn't want by himself for long but paired with Cunha I think his hold-up play would at least create hints of danger.

So we still don't create or score, just in a slightly different formation.
When I think of the goals we’ve created and scored they have been more of a pull back to a player arriving in the box. We simply don’t score from crosses.

Our last two goals have been after lumps in the box.

We don’t score from crosses normally because we don’t cross it as there’s never anyone in there and just repeat the horseshoe.

Podence, Neto, Sarabia, Bueno can all cross the ball. We just don’t do it or never have anyone in there. Until wide forwards and midfielders start getting in there we aren’t going to score. They don’t even have to win the first ball. Or it can be a driven cross or a cut back. It’s all a delivery out wide from a player offering width to get round a team.

If we’re not scoring from crosses/from deliveries out wide whether they be cut backs, or whatever, how are we scoring? Are the front 3 going to have to 1-2 there way through? Or long range worldies?There has to be some width offered somewhere or the pitch will be too congested and it’s easy to snuff out. We are not Tika Taka Barca.

Our two best chances yesterday came from crosses into the box - Semedo to Nunes, and Nunes to Cunha.

The goal even came from a looped ball into the penalty spot from out wide which was laid back to Neto to shoot.

Sobering thought after looking at the table, if all below us won their games in hand, we'd be second bottom !

Sobering thought after looking at the table, if all below us won their games in hand, we'd be second bottom !

Not possible but we could be 3rd bottom if unlikely results pan out.

Good to luck to Leeds and Forest both winning their game in hand, which is against each other.
Next logical step after quantum tactics: quantum results.

Semedo - Dawson - Toti - Bueno
Nunes - Lamina - Gomes
Sarabia - Cunha
Raul​
I like this, won't happen of course.
Also not fussed which of Kilman, Toti or Collins plays, might be worth a punt giving Toti a few games unless he has a mare.

I like this, won't happen of course.
Also not fussed which of Kilman, Toti or Collins plays, might be worth a punt giving Toti a few games unless he has a mare.
Toti is far better than non-purple patch Kilman (which in itself ended over a year ago now).

- Can run
- Can turn
- Can jump
- Actually tries to tackle
- Amazingly, attacks the ball

He isn't materially worse on the ball either.

He's also one of the only players we have who plays with a sense of urgency. Not always the best trait in CB but we need it from somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back