• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea (H) 8/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
We have to target a win here. Seriously.

1) They are no good. They are in the bottom half, have won fewer games than us since the World Cup, have failed to beat four teams who currently sit below us in 2023, have to play Liverpool in midweek and Real Madrid directly after this one

2) We need an absolute minimum of 2 wins (and some draws somewhere) or we are cooked. We only have 9 games left and we would accept that we're unlikely to get anything from Man Utd and Arsenal away. So we can't be picky

Please, please, please don't send out a team that makes no structural sense whatsoever.

-------------------------------Sa-----------------------

Semedo---------Dawson--------Toti---------Bueno

---------------------------Lemina-------------------

------------------Gomes--------Bouba---------------

----------------------Sarabia---Cunha----------------

----------------------------Raul--------------------------

Costa did ok when he came on but I just don't believe he can start games any more. Asking a lot of Bouba to come straight in, but honestly fuck Nunes at the moment.

Drop Sa for Bentley if you like, I don't care.

2022/23: L 0-3 (A)
2021/22: D 0-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2020/21: W 2-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: L 2-5 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2018/19: W 2-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-2 (H, FAC)
2012/13: L 0-6 (A, LC)
2011/12: L 1-2 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2010/11: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2009/10: L 0-2 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2003/4: L 0-5 (H), L 2-5 (A)
1993/4: L 0-1 (A, FAC)

Not enamoured by any of the CB or CM combinations we've got to pick from but we need to find something that works as we definitely can't afford to get nothing from these next 2 home games.

That XI, or Podence in for Bouba from the start and at least have plenty of options in and around Raul (well, in theory).

Sa

Semedo Dawson Toti Bueno

Gomes Moutinho

Sarabia Cunha Podence

Raul

Probably the slowest team the leagues ever seen but 11 players playing in their supposed best positions.

Can swap Lemina for Gomes as that doesn’t change the balance

Considering they play 343 (badly) I think the 442 we played against Liverpool would probably work quite well.

Reactions: b3h
Sa
Semedo Dawson Kilman Bueno
Gomes Lemina Nunes
Sarabia Cunha
Raul

Sarabia and Cunha narrow, play through the middle and hope we can get some combinations from some technical forwards. Either that or a 442 with Neto and Adama. We just can't make this wide forward malarkey work

I'd like to see Nunes played in his best position, alongside Lemina.

............................. Sa

Semedo - Dawson - Kilman - Bueno

................. Lemina - Nunes

............. Neto - Cunha - Podence

........................... Raul

If Neto can't start then Sarabia instead.

Semedo - Dawson - Toti - Bueno
Adama - Lemina - Moutinho - Neto
Cunha - Costa​

Please never start Traore ever again. Not only does he not want to be here any more and will leave in the summer, he is 50/50 at best whether he's decent or dogshit. Sarabia deserves a proper run in the team. Plus he actually gets into the box to try and score.

If I'm picking a 4-4-2, I don't want Sarabia on the wing, really.

If I'm picking a 4-4-2, I don't want Sarabia on the wing, really.
Yet that's exactly where he played against Spurs (in a slightly narrower role) when we've looked the best we have in recent weeks.

Then don't pick 442.

Cba to put a team up, there's a very good chance he'll do something stupid anyway

The narrow wingers (aka The Hexagon) worked well. It's essentially a 4-4-2 and what we finished the game yesterday playing (IIRC), with Neto and Sarabia playing as advanced wide players.

Then don't pick 442.

Cba to put a team up, there's a very good chance he'll do something stupid anyway
Lucky for you, I'm not paid to ;)

Joking aside, I don't like a 4-2-2-2 for us because it will ask too much of Semedo and Bueno.

If you aren't playing with wide forwards and I get why you wouldn't then you need full backs who can cross a ball. Semedo can't

I'd like to see Nunes played in his best position, alongside Lemina.

Nunes played in his best position second half yesterday and was rubbish. Same as he was when he played in his best position second half against spurs in the 343 (we started 433/442 in thay and were awful, we change to 343 and after Moutinho came on for him we controlled the game).

Cross to whom?
The hope in the 4-4-2 would be that Costa could generally hang out up there and actually give CBs something to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back