• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

It will be around forever, it will keep mutating and we will keep modifying the vaccine with the relevant antigen.

Our understanding of the disease process is much better, our treatment is much better and our capacity is much better (it basically dissappeared last summer with zero vaccinated and it being a free for all in McDonald’s, Wetherspoons etc.)

We will have developed residual immunity even with mutations. Same reason 99% of the population don’t come down with flu every year even though they will definitely have been exposed to it. This means something that had a very low hospitalisation rate in the under 50s will have an even lower figure now. At the end of the day, that has been the goal from the start. Prevent the NHS being overwhelmed so that if you do need to go into hospital, you can actually be treated. By protecting 99% of the population in the only way we can long term then we’ve solved the capacity issue.

Yep, the whole rationale behind lockdown is so the hospitals don't get completely swamped and people can't even be treated (which absolutely has been the case at least twice in the last year). We're nowhere near that now, so the goalposts keep shifting to "there are too many cases", "the R is too high", "it might mutate" etc etc.

This particular two week gap to the next step is particularly pointless, people being legally able to mingle in very small groups outdoors (this was 100% happening anyway) will make no difference to anything, especially as some schools are on Easter break now and all of them are by the end of the week, so we're sat on our hands for a fortnight for no reason.

The government have only made one firm commitment and that is to no more lockdown. Everything else is "flexible" o think this is the main reason for caution and they don't want to roll back on anything. Delay the next step but not go backwards. We know from last year that the combination of schools/shops/pubs and restaurants leads to an increase in the R rate and the potential for increase in hospital admissions, particularly in Autumn/Winter. Personally, I think a cautious approach is the only chance they have of avoided another lockdown - something which would probably fracture the Tory Party.

It's as much political as it is science.

More worrying is the take up of vaccines in the 50-59 category is poor currently.
Just heard that today from a friend who is working at the local vaccine centre - they are ending up with doses left over as they are no-showing too.

I got a tip off about spare vaccines at my local centre yesterday (although I think it was an unexpected extra delivery rather than people not showing up) so I went and got my first jab.

I think the local pharmacy was trying to get as many people as possible to turn up and everyone looked like they were in the under 50 category.

Just heard that today from a friend who is working at the local vaccine centre - they are ending up with doses left over as they are no-showing too.
I just don't get it.....its been shown to be safe and effective, what fucks the matter with them?
Would extermination for people who refuse it for no good reason be ott?

i absolutely hate needles, but if I was offered the opportunity I'd be there like a shot.
fair play to you trdders and t-dan (jammy beggars)

I imagine right now they're holding up on re-opening anything as they're seeing if Europe's "third wave" hits here - that's the big acid test to the vaccination programme so far. Although that did hit Europe two weeks ago, and so far nothing has risen here.

I'm in two minds to it all really. In reality the 17th May is just six weeks away which isn't too long after twelve months of this crap. I'd rather get it as low as possible/as many people vaccinated before then so we don't have to okey-cokey between open and closed.

I imagine right now they're holding up on re-opening anything as they're seeing if Europe's "third wave" hits here - that's the big acid test to the vaccination programme so far. Although that did hit Europe two weeks ago, and so far nothing has risen here.
A lot of people think the 3rd wave in Europe is one that has already been here. Our wave in December/January with special help from the Kent variant has been released as nations started to remove restrictions. So the opposite of last year where we watched as we lived out the nightmare from Italy etc 3 weeks later

A lot of people think the 3rd wave in Europe is one that has already been here. Our wave in December/January with special help from the Kent variant has been released as nations started to remove restrictions. So the opposite of last year where we watched as we lived out the nightmare from Italy etc 3 weeks later

That makes sense. To be honest, with 18 deaths in England today I can see there being a potential run of single figure to zero death toll around mid-April and by that point there will be a lot of media pressure on a PM who loves to be adored...

Summer months will always depress any infections as we are all outside more (which we know is safer) - there is a need to get on with vaccinating as many as possible & may need to give booster jabs in Sept/Oct to cover the winter period in much the same way as we do for influenza every year.

This will become an annual event.

A few vaccination centres shutting their doors from the 1st April for a bit in Shropshire. Telford International Centre (reopens 12th), Ludlow Racecourse (Reopens 20th) & Shrewsbury Bowls Centre (reopens 22nd).

Presume this sort of thing will happen across the country

I think I may end up slipping beyond May. Not a word from anyone so far.

Fine, I don't really care until such a point as I start getting excluded from doing things through no fault of my own.

I think I may end up slipping beyond May. Not a word from anyone so far.

Fine, I don't really care until such a point as I start getting excluded from doing things through no fault of my own.
Moderna and Nova will here by May and they have to be first doses. You will be in the 2nd group from the end of April if they follow the 5 year age drops

Feeling a bit shitty after my vaccine yesterday, think that makes me a double hard bastard from Hednesford IIRC?

My grandparents are both having their second doses this Friday down in the Somerset sticks.

Feeling a bit shitty after my vaccine yesterday, think that makes me a double hard bastard from Hednesford IIRC?
As long as you're not going to moan like Pablo (I can say that as he's probably getting his nails done )

Back