• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Vaccine Passports will be a typical Boris Johnson Government idea - They will have a plan but not the bollocks to fully implement it and put it on the businesses to decide but with penalties should they ignore. There will be a lot of negative press to which the initial response will be "we trust the hospitality sector to show some good old fashioned British common sense" and then 72 hours later will scrap the idea completely and our PM will be pictured pulling a pint in a Wetherspoons and will declare himself as the person who saved the British Pub. The End.
Only after he first awards a multi-million pound (non refundable) contract to one of his mates to produce the vaccine passports

Thsi kind of shit is what winds me up

Prof. Devi Sridhar
Huge risk: Watching a slow-moving car crash as U.K. govt stays open to France and other European countries, which have a S. African variant our main vaccine (AZ) doesn’t work against. Red list approach doesn’t work. We need blanket int’l quarantine to avoid future lockdowns.

Yet

Stop throwing out misleading lines and trying to play on peoples anxiety. Those comments are exactly what our media love to read and go with ridiculous headlines and stories. Messing around with peoples mental health is fucking low, just so you can get lots of likes and comments on social media

Last edited:
I get the be concerned stuff on the variant but chucking out "doesn't work" is scandalous.

She's an awful a scaremongering quack that's on every TV show going because of her ego.

Another one who can get in the same bin as Farage and any Anti-vaxxer.

Good to see France finally getting their vaccination programme gathering speed. Over 1m doses done in the last 3 days. Hopefully all the moaning and blame game shit is over and the EU nations concentrate on getting jabs in people.

In the numbers today, less than 4,000 cases, 19 deaths, ZoE reporting prevalence at less than 70,000 cases.

57% of adults have had their first jab. I'm all for cautiousness when required but I would have thought we could start at least having conversations about opening things up ahead of the timelines.

My 65 yr old relative has finally had the first vaccine as my Son found a 'pop up' centre opening up & his wife took her down this morning.

Still not sure why her GP decided to send her records back to where she was before & de-register her, but that's something that can be dealt with next week.

In the numbers today, less than 4,000 cases, 19 deaths, ZoE reporting prevalence at less than 70,000 cases.

57% of adults have had their first jab. I'm all for cautiousness when required but I would have thought we could start at least having conversations about opening things up ahead of the timelines.
It's stupid really. Denmark have announced their plans, they're all but opening up fully when the over 50s have been vaccinated. We're more or less there right now, and yet we're still nearly three months away from that stage for no particular reasons.

You can't make a statement of "data not dates" and then totally contradict yourself by rigorously sticking to er, arbitrary dates just because. Then you get the fat bastard with his 1993 attitude of "people who work from home are skiving" and saying everyone should go to the office ASAP just to muddy the waters, because he never thinks before he opens his stupid fat piehole.

I get that they're afraid of messing up again (Christ knows they have a bad enough track record) and caution in itself isn't going to cause people to die from Covid (it will 100% exacerbate mental health issues though and continued/worsening financial difficulties for many sectors, as well as likely increased unemployment and all the knock-on effects that causes), but they should be looking at the reality of the situation.

It's like walking across a dual carriageway at night, all dressed in black, without even looking, and you get hit by a car. Fine, that's your own stupid fault. Once you've no longer got a pair of broken legs, you wouldn't say "I am never crossing any road ever again in any circumstances".

At the same time you can't blindly run across every other road you need to cross because the car that hit you before has come and gone.

The most vulnerable have mostly been vaccinated, that's a great step, but there's still a huge unprotected gene pool out there who can get infected, facilitate mutations and put everything right back to square one.

I think the time to review the current plan is around 3-4 weeks after the 12th April.

School return has gone well, now they have 2 weeks to collect and review the data. Do the same when people are allowed to mix more. By that time the majority of the over 50's are done, vunerable have had their 2nd jab and the 18-49's are well on their way.

I wish they and the media would drop the lets fucking terrify you all to keep you in line.

I think the time to review the current plan is around 3-4 weeks after the 12th April.

School return has gone well, now they have 2 weeks to collect and review the data. Do the same when people are allowed to mix more. By that time the majority of the over 50's are done, vunerable have had their 2nd jab and the 18-49's are well on their way.

I wish they and the media would drop the lets fucking terrify you all to keep you in line.
That's where I'm at. My dad is 76 and has been shielding, but is still 5 weeks off jab 2.

Had second dose of vaccine Friday afternoon. Very mild headache Saturday but thought that could have been just as likely to be related to the Chinese and beer combo Friday night.

Still got it a little bit today, but Very very mild. Few of my colleagues have felt a bit rough after it but I seem to have got off lightly.

As for the debate on open early or carry on...

I see the argument for both sides but I lean more to open up.

Purely based on figures available (cases, deaths - ignoring of/with, going with the figures as they are gives a worst case scenario), 3% of people who have tested positive have died.

Of these 3%, 99% of them come from the vulnerable groups who have now either been offered the vaccine, or vaccinated. A lot of them have also had a second dose.

So that leaves 1% of 3% of the population vulnerable - 0.03%- c. 20,000 as an absolute worst case.

10-20,000 people die a year of flu, and this is considered “normal”.

Now the vaccines either work or they don’t. If they don’t then we’re in the shit regardless, and if they do then the damage done by keeping everything closed (you still can’t see your GP) would appear to outweigh the risks.

I do get the cautious approach, and I'm not proposing we open everything back up again in one fell swoop.

But there has to be a middle ground somewhere, based on the data. We've seen a reduction in cases, deaths and prevalence with schools re-opening.

In 2/3 weeks time over half the adult population will have been vaccinated, I saw today that of the cases only about 150 were in the over 65 age group out of about 4,000. I think it's safe to say vaccines are working.

Its all going well atm but for me its right to be cautious, check how its going every 3 weeks. However providing things are still going the right way, wouldn't be surprised if the govt accelerate things. I think with so many already vaccinated, the chances of hospitalisations and deaths taking off again is low but I am still concerned about the virus mutating if its allowed to run rife again

The virus is thriving just 20 miles across the Channel. Reducing Covid in under 50s in Britain really won’t have much impact on reducing the likelihood of mutations against which the vaccine is not effective. If they occur elsewhere they will get here pretty soon so not convinced that is a very strong argument for not opening things up. If deaths are likely to be as low as flu it seems a bit overkill to keep things locked down very tightly once over 50s are completed.

The virus is thriving just 20 miles across the Channel. Reducing Covid in under 50s in Britain really won’t have much impact on reducing the likelihood of mutations against which the vaccine is not effective. If they occur elsewhere they will get here pretty soon so not convinced that is a very strong argument for not opening things up. If deaths are likely to be as low as flu it seems a bit overkill to keep things locked down very tightly once over 50s are completed.
Yes thats all going to happen but it will be better when as many people as possible are vaccinated, thats a few months away.
Not seen the evidence personally (got it from my son) but apparently in the variations of the virus, the current vaccines while not being as good at preventing covid, do give good protection against severe symptons and death.
More worrying is the take up of vaccines in the 50-59 category is poor currently.

Yes thats all going to happen but it will be better when as many people as possible are vaccinated, thats a few months away.
Not seen the evidence personally (got it from my son) but apparently in the variations of the virus, the current vaccines while not being as good at preventing covid, do give good protection against severe symptons and death.
More worrying is the take up of vaccines in the 50-59 category is poor currently.
More gammon in that age group?

Back