• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

If I don't want to wear a seat belt I can't drive a car. It's not just for my safety, but the safety of others.

OK, ta. Point still holds re vaccines though unless you are drawing parallels between that and 1930's Germany?
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does ryhme"

I'm not drawing a direct parallel, I'm just saying that there is a common thread through history in the way freedoms are taken away. They are always taken away from an ill thought of minority first.

I will tell anyone who refuses the vaccine they are an idiot. But if I support them being excluded from society due to a choice they have made relating to their own body, I've got no right to argue if ever the govt decides I should do something to my own body I disagree with. It's what this opens the door to in future that's the issue for me.

If I don't want to wear a seat belt I can't drive a car. It's not just for my safety, but the safety of others.
And that's your choice, you are still able to participate in society if you don't drive. Public transport, walking etc.

Re it's not just for my safety but the safety of others, do you mean if you are vaccinated you can't pass it on to someone else? I thought they are saying now that even if you've been vaccinated you can still catch it and pass it on.

Yes you can still catch it and pass it on, but as you are well aware it is considerably less likely.
And as someone unable to drive I can assure you it is very restrictive.

Can't she avoid it with the key NHS worker thing they introduced at the weekend?
So an update on this one:

Was asked to go in for a test and work from home in the meantime. Test comes through negative and is told….. not to come in until Wednesday!

Occupational Health are the arbiters of the government guidelines and they are very much ‘can’t do’ in attitude as opposed to ‘can’. It appears it’s very much a case by case basis and as the wife’s role is a hybrid academic and patient facing they’ve taken the safe option. Whether or not that tune changes if/when staffing levels reach crisis point we shall see.

All that said, can’t deny it’s an absolute pisser she’s sat at home bashing a keyboard instead of at the coalface and our weekend away is f*cked because of a ping that evidently wasn’t needed.

Good to see useless "online papers" getting there click baiting in by saying we'll be back in restrictions within 3 weeks time & face coverings will be mandatory etc etc... they really could do with stopping all the scare mongering

"The papers" aren't saying that. Government scientists are and it's being reported, it's kind of the media's job.

"The papers" aren't saying that. Government scientists are and it's being reported, it's kind of the media's job.

I'll add the attempt to make people panic buy to the list but Either way.. enough's enough. We need to start moving on with our lives, we cannot be in and out of lockdowns every year because a group of scientists say so. I thought the whole point of the jab was to get us closer to returning to as close as possible to pre-covid but no it appears we're heading for restrictions.

At this point I am fed up with the whole situation & want us to try & live with it instead of panicing every 6 weeks.

So is it the scientists or the media at fault?

They're not trying to make people panic buy. Everywhere has pretty much outlined why it is. The workforce across all sectors is being hit by ridiculous numbers of people being told to self-isolate because our stupid system doesn't work properly, plus we're already massively down on HGV drivers because of Brexit. Hence you get empty shelves, because there's no-one there to deliver it or put it out or sell it.

I’ll be honest I’m just massively fed up with this whole situation now every small mention of it annoys me irrationably (I probably should have just said that)

Last edited:
I’ll be honest I’m just massively fed up with this whole situation now every small mention of it annoys me irrationably (I probably have just said that)
I’m more more fed up now there’s been a lifting of restrictions than previously strangely. I think I’m just fatigued with it all now.

It might take you a long time to be completely over it - even if life returns 100% back to normal. We have lots of minor irritations over here - petrol prices are up, lumber prices are through the roof, there are few new cars and used car prices are astronomical, and for my business there are random shortages of imported products (tequila, scotch, cognac, canadian whisky) and some domestic beers. Mostly these are not serious problems - there are usually alternatives, but the biggest change is that a lot of people seem to have left the workforce. Sectors of the economy that had laid people off - especially restaurants/fast food - just cannot find enough new workers.

Put together these factors are causing an increase in prices so that inflation (however inevitable/unavoidable) may well become a big political issue.

Mostly around town this week, a lot of people still mask wearing. Tonight first time in pub since regs were relaxed...no-one wearing masks apart from our table......no judgement from us, a few odd looks from others in the pub. Will monitor the situation.

Back