• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Is it really much different?
Yeah, no faffing with masks, no necessity to test at the sign of a sniffle, no issues booking a venue anymore, almost no incessant sanctimony from those on the internet (twitter) or in the media generally, and almost no endless debate about Covid jabs and Bill Gates/5G conspiracies, all first world problems, but life is better without them.

I am however flying to Boston next month with the family and i am dreading the potential doom that a positive test may bring us.

Yeah, no faffing with masks, no necessity to test at the sign of a sniffle, no issues booking a venue anymore, all first world problems, but life is better without them.
Yep. It feels like a lifetime ago (time has made no sense for much of the last two years) but it's within the last 12 months where you couldn't do something as simple as just pop into a pub as you wander past. No booking, no dice, that was the policy in the majority of places. And when booking, everywhere had massively reduced capacity due to distancing requirements. We went to more than one place where the two hour time slot meant exactly that, when your time's up you've got to go.

Felt for a time as if that would never end.

I still use table service apps a lot though :D Balls to queuing up if I don't need to.

I apologise to you all in advance but last weekend I sorted out my ESTA for the long planned trip to the USA (4th attempt to get there). Even booked into places whilst over there (JD Tour etc) So it will obviously all go tits up in the next 60 -70 days.

Yep. It feels like a lifetime ago (time has made no sense for much of the last two years) but it's within the last 12 months where you couldn't do something as simple as just pop into a pub as you wander past. No booking, no dice, that was the policy in the majority of places. And when booking, everywhere had massively reduced capacity due to distancing requirements. We went to more than one place where the two hour time slot meant exactly that, when your time's up you've got to go.

Felt for a time as if that would never end.

I still use table service apps a lot though :D Balls to queuing up if I don't need to.
Yeah one of the few good things about Covid is the speed at which table service has become the norm.

Everyone else going will have tested just before & that son & DiL won't come till they have tested clear.

Not going to risk anyone especially as the yonger DiL is 6 months pregnent.
Absolutely respect your standpoint, of course, and it requires no justification, but I do wonder whether, in general, perceptions have been skewed irrevocably by the media. I'd would wager a hefty sum that the risk of suffering a significantly adverse life event while travelling to wherever you're all going is immeasurably greater than the risk of one arising through contracting Covid.

If the shift manager does as she said she would we should be pretty much always on table 1

Again thinking back to Nov/Dec 2020 - you had the ridiculous situation for a while where Mrs DW (Wolverhampton) and I (South Staffs, inside the border by a mile if that) were in different tiers. Technically we weren't supposed to meet up, in practical terms it means some stuff was open on one side and nothing was on the other, while you had the third wheel of Shropshire (probably not much more than a mile from her house) being in an even more relaxed tier, absolute nonsense.

Shops being open in town in a very limited way, massive queues to get a coffee from anywhere as that was the peak of leisure, standing by a roped off seating area to get it, then ambling round unable to sit down anywhere to drink it because that wasn't allowed either, unless you fancied sitting outdoors. In December.

You'd book stuff for the weekend on say, a Tuesday, then spent 3-4 days wondering if the place would actually be open to honour the booking, or if the rules would arbitrarily change in the meantime, impossible to plan anything properly and as I say, anything on the spur of the moment was out.

I'm sure for some people the measures over various periods had little to no impact but they certainly impacted on me and I would imagine the vast majority of the population. This ignores the two month period right at the outset where they paid literally zero heed to people who lived alone and therefore I saw absolutely no-one from the 7th of March (Brighton game) through to the beginning of June (support bubbles didn't exist until around then). Great stuff.

Yeah, no faffing with masks, no necessity to test at the sign of a sniffle, no issues booking a venue anymore, almost no incessant sanctimony from those on the internet (twitter) or in the media generally, and almost no endless debate about Covid jabs and Bill Gates/5G conspiracies, all first world problems, but life is better without them.
🤷🏻‍♂️

My life is no different now to what it was a month ago, maybe even a year ago.

Lucky you.

We were still in pretty much full lockdown a year ago, FWIW. No hospitality at all.

I can get by without going out for food, it's no big upheaval to me.

You couldn't go to a match ANYWHERE. You could only see people in your own social bubble or care bubble. Life was a LOT different a year ago.

Back