• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

But also there was a backlog of reporting, particularly from NI. As always, but particularly with the new variant, hospital cases are key, and they are not as high as feared, and 1/3 are "secondary" cases, plus also there are less discharges over Christmas.

Anyones guess what the true figure really is.

Tried to order some LFT’s this evening but no home delivery slots available. Spoke to stepson in Manchester who is covid positive. He says he and 5 friends all positive, all LFT’s but not bothered with PCRs so no official statistical record.

If that’s a little insight into the reality of what is happening Lord only knows what the true figures are.
Absolutely, the unofficial figure 6 days ago was 300,000 new cases a day. It probably hasn't exploded much beyond that, but I bet it's at least 400-500,000 at the moment with Christmas in mind too. It will peak quickly and fall quickly though

Horse has bolted now, got to ride it out.
Not sure intervention would have made much difference anyway (with people ignoring it or moving things into the home where spread is worse).

A few weeks where it’s a bit shit is probably a better scenario than delaying this for a few months.

Schools going back worries me a bit, we always seem to get an increase when schools are in

Problem is not kids or ‘everyone’, it’s ‘everyone’s’ old granny who’ll be in hospital next week after Xmas..

Not really sure what can be done about that though. Didn’t see my side of the family or my wife’s over Xmas other than immediate family. I’m sure there are millions in the same boat.

People have had 3 doses of the vaccine, the public are largely mitigating risk where they can, plan B restrictions in place. What more can be done bar total lockdown with army on the streets preventing and family mixing.

So face masks to be worn in secondary school classrooms when new term starts, finally some mitigations.
Germany spent ~£450m on air filters in classrooms, a mere drop of what the Government wasted on covid related procurement by ministers cronies...

Air filtration, that well known silver bullet.

At some point we're going to have to live with this virus.

Funding the NHS properly would go a long way to helping live with it.

Last edited:
Well, ventilation is given as a key mitigation, and masks are not ideal in a classroom, so it is better, if not a magic 100% solution. Also better than lining the pockets of already fat cats.
But absolutely, a properly funded NHS would be ideal.

At some point we're going to have to live with this virus.

Going to be a brave person that makes that decision but can’t see an alternative to be honest. But here’s a little insight into the dilemma and what’s happening with limited restrictions and infection rates running out of control.

So the wife’s hospital in S London has been declared one of the first Omicron Nightingale hubs. Essentially a field hospital that looks a few marquees knocked up in the car park:

They are effectively fighting on three fronts now: Those needing treatment because of Covid, those needing treatment for other conditions but happen to have Covid, and those seeking treatment for other conditions who don’t have Covid. Trying to artificially create three layers of patient care with rapidly increasing infection rates and rapidly diminishing staff resources is clearly unsustainable.

It’s going to be very interesting to see where we go from here.

Can you not use that particular word directly at someone please.
If you check, you will find 'he' used it first, hence why I did. Where was this post when 'he' called it me?

At the risk of sounding childish 'he' started it :cool:

Back