• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

I hate to say it, but I expect there could be a very large jump in the suicide rate, along with vulnerable people actually starving as well. Awful times.
Definitely, when I said deaths, I was including suicides as well as older people just not putting their heating on in the middle of Winter.

I am more fortunate than many, but don't have unlimited funds - more concerned about my youngest son who runs his own business (& there is no cap there).
Last time I saw him he told me what he was having to pay for his energy use compared to last year & it was eye watering - can't load it all onto his prices as he would lose a mass of orders.
He has a 2 month old son so his wife is on maternity leave just now so reduced income. As said I will cope, but limits my ability to support other family members.

Now going to look at buying thermal underware so I can turn the heating in the winter down as far as I can :(

Good to see the evil bitch is still hanging her coat on giving tax cuts to "solve" this, which totally fucking misses all of those in the most dire need.

What good is 5% off VAT if I simply cannot afford to buy anything, including fucking food you imbecile?

Not to go all Tin-Foil Papper about this, but New Statesman have posted some interesting Tweets about how the energy bill increases will effectively put an end to working from home for a huge amount of people.

They've roughly calculated that commuting by rail or car (within 30 miles) will be cheaper than heating and lighting your home (especially over winter), powering your laptop, boiling the kettle etc. Around £30 a day.

We all know how the Tories feel about working from home......

That seems very high, approx 40 Kwh/day (for electric) at the new rates, I use about 5 most days. I've been through many winters working from home and heating/lighting your whole house for one person is daft. Shut yourself in one room - keep the heat in, laptops use very little energy.

I read a tweet today (I haven't checked the figures) that was along the lines of "From October, it'll cost £2.50 a day to a hot shower for ten minutes*; it'd be cheaper to just join a gym and use theirs. I'll be damned if the cost of living crisis is what gives me abs"

*ten minutes a day in the shower?! OK then Sir Wankalot

It really doesn't help people on twitter posting bollocks. It'd be about 30p at a very rough calc.

My missus easily clocks up 10mins a day in the shower.

Not to go all Tin-Foil Papper about this, but New Statesman have posted some interesting Tweets about how the energy bill increases will effectively put an end to working from home for a huge amount of people.

They've roughly calculated that commuting by rail or car (within 30 miles) will be cheaper than heating and lighting your home (especially over winter), powering your laptop, boiling the kettle etc. Around £30 a day.

We all know how the Tories feel about working from home......

Nobody should care who works from home if the service is reliable, else people will look elsewhere - mind you that may be different if it's the public sector. Convert the properties into units for the homeless ( or even warm rooms ). The problem you'll get with the tories is outsourcing the work abroad.

Chatted with a mate about exactly this point the other evening.
Although we have to take into account car running & maintenance costs, insurance etc, not just fuel.

Her supposed economic policy is a car crash waiting to happen. She keeps banging on about more supply, but none of that is going to be available in the short term. Even if it were to be available to us tomorrow I'd also like to know how she will force energy companies to sell to the UK market cheaper than they can get elsewhere. Are we benefiting by the way of cheaper prices from Gas extracted from the seas around the UK?

None of it makes sense.

Is this how Games Network began..?

So you are giving me a £400 hardship payment and then freezing my bill at £525 more?

Gee. Thanks, you cunts.

They need to learn. Ten years time balancing acts don’t matter to people who are going to freeze or starve by February.

Back